• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro Freezing after opening Preferences Menu

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been frustrated with premiere for the past couple days, as I want to get some editing done, but opening the preferences menu when I need to adjust settings causes the entire program to stop responding. From what I've been able to tell, it's only the preferences menu that crashes it.

Solutions I've tried (to no avail):
Updating My Drivers

Verifying File Integrity of Windows (sfc /scannow)

Resetting Premiere's Preferences

Uninstalling and Reinstalling through Creative Cloud

Downgrading to an older version

I'm not sure what to try and fix it at this point.

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Hi @mr.hajave1994,

Try the latest studio driver. This is the one I use: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204243/en-us/

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
32 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Premier Pro crashes when opening any of the preferences menus. I have tried resetting the offences by hunting Alt, reinstalling normally, and the creative cloud removal tool then reinstalling but it is still happening. How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly the only permanent fix I've found for this is to upgrade to a newer version (and deal with an entirely new set of bugs that come with it). Downgrading is usually not an option because you always need "that one function that wasn't added/fixed yet." I dealt with the issue in CC14 and 15, maybe even up until 22.2. I'm sure it went away after updating to 22.6. But that also introduced the (auto)save bug where PPro freezes/crashes on saving. Have you tried installing a newer/older version next to the one you currently have?

I'm guessing you've already tried changing audio hardware preferences, that seemed to work for some (for me the setting wouldn't stick). Some people were having issues because of the microphone input settings. I know it sounds weird, but that was the temporary fix everyone was preaching at the time. I've read posts where third-party plugins like Insta360 or Red Giant were causing problems, but for me personally it also happened on 100% clean installs, no third-party plugins. And ONLY in Premiere. For good measure: in 3 years of editing on this machine, I have NEVER had a similar issue in After Effects.

The weird thing is, after updating Premiere the issues went away WITHOUT updating any plugins! So that leads me to believe they weren't the issue in the first place.

Hopefully I've given you some insights to get to the bottom of this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Issue - Read above. 
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: All seem to be affected, originally started on v23.0, tried downgrading but issue persisted.
  • Operating system - Windows 10 21H2, Build 19044.2251
  • System Info: CPU, GPU, RAM, HD:
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800x

• GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 2070 (Driver Ver. 526.98)

• 32GB DDR4 3000MHz ram

• M.2 2TB Samsung Drive

• Workflow details: It doesn't even need to have a project open.
  • Steps to reproduce - I open premiere pro, click edit -> preferences, then select any menu. 
  • Expected result - Premiere should open the preferences menu
  • Actual result -  Premiere stops responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Issue - Opening any preferences crashes Premiere Pro
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 23.0
  • Operating system - Windows 10 Version 22H2
  • System Info: CPU, GPU, RAM, HD:
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.59 GHz

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Driver Version 31.0.15.2737

• 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz

• ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe

• Workflow details: Don't need project to be open
  • Steps to reproduce - Open Premiere Pro, click edit > preferences, then select any menu
  • Expected result - Open preference menu
  • Actual result Premiere Pro freezes and eventually crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo, @Zwea @W.Bee could you please share your system information, so that the team has a better view of the parameters in play, or if there is a common denominator to the issue? thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I found this info in the community digest: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-community-digest-november-2022/...

• NVIDIA GPU Drivers causing hangs on import and unexpected behavior: Some editors have reported problems with the NVIDIA Studio Drivers v.526.98. Roll back the drivers to v.522.xx or earlier to restore system stability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PECourtejoie, v.527.xx seemed to have released today, do you know if those drivers are having those same issues? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also I did downgrade to v.522 for my NVIDIA drivers for the time being, it seems that i'm able to open preferences now! I'll have to wait to do some testing to make sure though 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@itsleah unfortunately, I do not have that GPU, so I cannot test. maybe one of the other posters feels adventurous?

Remember to use the Studio version!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time to test things right now, but I'll look into it this weekend. Thanks for tagging me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like there's only a new game ready driver available. We'll just have to run version 517 or 522 until they release the new studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone have any luck with this. The same thing is happening on my Mac Studio with the latest version of premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found any other fixes? I use a GTX4080 and cannot seem to go far enough back as the card doesn't support those old versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank youuuuuu a loooooooot

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dear hamed have you found any solution dadash? 😄

TELL ME IF YOU FOUND...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mr.hajave1994,

Try the latest studio driver. This is the one I use: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/204243/en-us/

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i'm downloading it now...

I hope it fixes my problem 
my main problem is my computer by default setting my audio hardware input on the microphone and when I wanna work on sound or music for background the sound is not clear...
i have to do input on none to fix it but prefrences is not opening and premiere freezing until i end task it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try disconnecting audio hardware devices while troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

l have same problem whwn i open settings menu,I use Apple M2 Max macbook pro ,can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, tried different versions as well 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone ResillionApe here!

After 10 days of frustration with freezing after clicking on preferences I realized, while custom updating nVidia 536.99 studio drvier, I had unchecked the HD Audio Driver checkbox (as it appeared to be the same version and thinking it would only delay install time).  What actually happened was the HD Audio driver uninstalled and reverted back to Intel's drivers (verifying with nVidia CS as to why this happens).  Premiere was trying to load the audio devices based on nVidia HD drivers and froze.  After reinstalling with HD Audio checkbox checked, it solved the freeze issue when accessing preferences.  Not sure if this applies to everyone here, but wanted to post what worked for me... cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a resolution to this? having the same issue on a Mac Studio. Briefly did some troubleshooting with adobe support but was unable to get to a resolution with them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jared, I'm having the same issue on my M1 mini OS 13.5.2, and it's been the same on every recent version of Premiere I've installed, including the betas. I didn't bother posting in this thread due to its age and PC focus. I'll keep checking here, and my post is at: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-crashes-when-i-go-to-preferences-v2...

Hopefully, one of us will get some info toward a resolution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you, or did you, have the Tourbox software/driver installed? If so, this fix might help:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-crashes-when-i-go-to-preferences-v2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just solved my problem the other day, and it was related to TourBox, In a lab environment I had just pushed out the tourbox program. Needed to launch it and allow it to accesss system events for premiere to start working again. Not sure why that would cause it to crash though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate