• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to prevent dupes in Premiere Project file?

Participant ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to working with both PluralEyes as well as multiple editors on the same project, I deal with importing a lot of XML and PRPROJ files into existing project files that I've worked with.

This, on a large scale, becomes untenable because every time I import another editor's work or a synced sequence, I get duplicates of all my media in the project. I'm trying to figure out if there any way to have Premiere check to see if the media is already imported, and reference that media in the imported sequence? If not, I will just keep getting larger and larger project files with multiple references to the same media, because both me and my other editors are working with the same media, but for different sequences.

As far as I can tell, when you import an XML, or even a sequence from another Premiere project, it creates new master clips for every clip used in the imported sequence. It does not recognize that you may already have a master clip that you're using in another sequence that is referring to the same media.

So if you want to keep both sequences in your project, you need to keep both master clips. If you delete a master clip from your bin, it will not stay in the sequence(s) that refer to it, it will get cut out, leaving a big steaming crater where it once was. Even if the sequence is not currently open. This is one of the things I loved about FCP7. You could delete every single one of your master clips and your sequence would be totally unaffected. You could even recreate the master clips by dragging them from your sequence to the bin.

I think if there really is no way to manage these duplicates, this is a HUGE problem for professionals who are working in environments with multiple editors. This isn't just a "well, learn how to deal with a new editing system" - this is actually a deal-breaker; and actually the only one that I see REALLY preventing Premiere from being the go-to choice for larger post houses. This problem becomes so big so fast that it makes true collaborative editing downright impossible. In my office we might have three people on a project, all editing and revising segments and passing them back and forth. On FCP7 this was easy as pie - we'd just cut and paste between project files and use basic versioning best practices. In Premiere, our project files quickly become nightmares and work is often inadvertently deleted or lost.

I would like to see:

- Smart media handling when importing sequences and projects. Premiere should look at the filenames and file location and attempt to relink any duplicate media. If it stumbles, it should ask for help like FCP.

- A media consolidation inspection feature. I'd love to see an option for inspecting your project for duplicate media references. When found, Premiere should automatically consolidate.

- Streamlined sequence exporting. You should be able to export a single sequence. I know there's some version of this in Project Manager, but we all know it should be easier than this!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Experiencing extreme frustration with this even in CC 2015!!! Have filled a bug report, I really hope this can be addressed soon!!!

Hi Darius,

Please file your specific frustrations here in a bug report.

Hard for me to convince large productions to make the switch to Premiere when little silly things like this still exist...

You can avoid duplicates in many cases, but you have to start each project with a few things in mind, especially if working in a collaborative environment.

• There will be on

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 126 Replies 126
LEGEND ,
May 21, 2012 May 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a HUGE problem for professionals who are working in environments with multiple editors.

Agreed.  For all it's recent advances, Premiere Pro is till not a multi-user/network friendly NLE.  Project Management on this level should probably be the next major advance in the software, allowing it to be a viable option for larger post houses.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually really awful.  Any workaround solutions you've come up with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, unfortunately.  Super annoying and limiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a feature length doc (I have footage from over 100 shoot days), and I'm trying to figure out a good workflow for logging/tagging and editing.  I create a project for each shoot date where I will log/sync footage from that day, but then also sometimes I play around and edit footage together (into squences saved with that day's project).

Then I experimented with creating a "master project," importing the 100+ daily project files.  No duplicate master clips yet, and I retain the keywords I've assigned to clips from whatever particular day (INCLUDING Merged Clips, which is huge).

The goal is to be able to search through my footage in the master project by using (among other things) keywords and logging info, and begin editing my scenes together using footage from over the 100 days.

Unfortunately this master project crashes all the time, and also takes forever to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is your large master project file?

there won't be any dupes because you're not importing duplicate clips because you're importing discreet days.

Your workflow is very similar to my feature doc workflow, and I do believe that it's the best way to go.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah dupes aren't the problem so much as that big master project crashing. It's 100MB. Also there are tons of sequences in it right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2012 Sep 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've figured out a workflow for my feature doc.  It doesn't get around your dupe problem Ryan, but if/when Adobe addresses that problem it should integrate well into this organization method.

I have a master project.  It will contain a bin for clips from each shooting day, and as I continue to shoot I'll add bins.

As time allows, I'll work on this master project: add clip descriptions, markers, check 'good' and add keywords.

When I want to start editing (presumably using footage from multiple days), I will duplicate this master project in the Finder and open it in Premiere.  I'll delete footage from the days I know I won't be using to improve performance, and begin editing.  This will ensure that at any given time I'll have the latest logging info when I begin editing a scene.

If I need additional footage from additional days, I'll import that master project and then delete unwanted footage.  Again, this will ensure that the clips I use have the latest metadata.

And hopefully when Adobe allows us to clean up duplicate master clips, all the projects I'll have worked on (from now until then) will be ready to go.

Let me know if I'm overlooking anything here....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ebenabbaan wrote:

This is actually really awful.  Any workaround solutions you've come up with?

I'm afraid there is no automated solution.   We tend to replace the footage on the sequence with the original bin footage and delete the duplicates.  It takes time but keeps projects tidy.  Were usually only working with 400-500 clips though.

This is something I have complained about and made feature requests all the way back to CS5.  I'm not holding my breath, but this should be really easy to do on import -

When importing a file the software should simply walk down the list of files already in the project and if it exists (same path) then use the one already there instead of importing a duplicate.  C'mon Adobe, this is beginner programmer stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2012 Nov 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are two editors working on two separate projects with 70hours+ of footage. We both have excactly the same footage and keep adding more as it's been logged in another project.

In FCP we used to just copy over a sequence when one of us got stuck editing it. Copy - Paste - Reconnect media. Simple. We'd bounce a sequence back and forth 3-4 times until we felt it was good enough for the master sequence.

Now my project just hit the 400mb mark and it's impossible for the other editor to even get the "import sequence" dialog to open. This because everytime we've imported sequences, our own project has grown by ridicoulus amount.

Adobe! This is extremely limiting for people who truly want to colaborate!

It seriously makes me consider going back to FCP until it's been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been fixed (and more) with Adobe Anywhere.  It's just not been released yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't wait Jim, but I fear the server side of things won't be affordable for the smaller shops..... I hope I'm wrong.  Of course, I'd be happy to beta test it for them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?!?!?!  PLEASE Let us know.

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a post that clued me into something interesting; #9 in this thread, Shane P answers his own question:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5050360#5050360

Apparently, Premiere DOES look for master clips that already exist in the project -- avoiding the problem of all these dups linked to the same media -- but only when:

1. You are importing a specific sequence, via Dynamic Link, from another Premiere Project.  Importing the entire project or XML will result in new copies of the clips.

2. You have cleared the IN and OUT points on all your clips.  Yes, if you have to open each and every one of your existing clips into the Source Monitor and clear their Video IN and OUT points.

If you clear your IN and OUT points, then import a sequence from another PP project that references the same media, Premiere brings in only that sequence... and when you right click on clips in that sequence and select "Reveal in Project" you find it's the way you want.

NOTE that if in the project you're importing to you have SOME clips with IN and OUT points set (but some w/ IN and OUT cleared), upon import Premiere will create dups of only those that you didn't clear.

I done tried it.

But seriously Adobe, this is ridiculous.... PLEASE FIX IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. You are importing a specific sequence, via Dynamic Link, from another Premiere Project.

Just to clarity, importing a PP sequence into a different PP project is not a Dynamic Link.  If you update the original sequence, it will not auto update in the new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2013 Feb 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE FIX IT.

See post 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is Post 1, Jim?

This issue still plagues me... and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think he means you should file a feature request.

(That's the suggestion in the first reply in this thread).

You can file a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes... this I have done.

"Adobe, please let me delete master clips from my project without having media deleted out of sequences."

Seems easy enough, but something tells me that they structured something in the foundation of this damn program that makes it impossible to impliment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... don't give up hope.

The more popular a feature request, the more attention it gets.

Plus with 'rolling updates' in CC, you may

get your wish sooner than you might expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to get the home phone number of the guy at Adobe in charge of this stuff and call him during dinner.

"Rolling updates" is bs.  I mean I get it, but I'm not going to be duped into imagining that now they've got 50 guys with their sleeves rolled up working when there used to be only 5.  It's the same 5 guys.

And they could use 5-10 more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

The duplication of master clips on import makes PluralEyes completely useless in Premiere Pro for large long form documentary project.  Premiere Pro really should be smart enough to see that there are already master clips in the project! C'mon Adobe, fix it!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe, my friends, I have found an answer.

The situation: I have two identical drives. I want to bring a sequence from one project into the other project. Each time, using "import" I would get the sequence, and a bin full of dupe media.

Solution: move the entire project from one drive to the other. Rename it. Make sure the original drive is disconnected. Open that project. It will not find media automatically. Relink, easy peasy. Save as a different name. Open the other project, do import, sequence, ipso facto, no dupe media.

Basically you have to relink the media first to the old project, then import the sequence into the new project.

Janky? Yes. Works? Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the above method did not work for me and tried on several devices. Identical drives and file paths don't make a difference. It's actually the Metadata  In/Out's or markers which probably are causing the issue.  Also although it might seem like no dupe media has imported it will often file it within the same folder as the other project so isn't noticeable all the time. Again you can't even delete said files without it deleting from the sequence. Whilst clearing IN/OUTS from a huge project and its markers every time is too much time when your working in a huge project.

It's a massive issue for multiple professional users  and one Adobe should be fixing within programme rather than charging for an extra add on like Adobe anywhere, as it's their mistake. They've definitely coded it some way which has them unable to replicate a simple function that the likes of Avid 5 and FCP6 could do, which for me is unacceptable. They also sold it to everyone that CC could do this ( why else would they have allow duplicate media)

I Spent 4 hours on the phone to Adobe who were surprised that this was happening and when they tried it there end it did the same thing. So appears even Adobe support haven't tested this issue which i find appalling.

This is my first time on Premiere having used Avid and FCP for many years and although i think it has some really great features  it appears they haven't though about the fundamentals of editing or been bothered to test this across multiple systems.

Just hope they fix this issue on future updates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are apparently aware of it.  As I told them on twitter (Twitter link here) it's a fundamentally important issue.

Even the new methods of importing still create duplicates when it's merged clips you're importing... which is a lot of my material. 

We simply need the ability to delete media (audio and video clips) WITHOUT them being deleted from sequences within a project.  Editing a feature-length doc, my projects are already big and take between 30 and 60 seconds to save.  You can imagine how a prudent autosave interval interrupts the flow of editing.  I cannot say how frustrating all this is.

We don't need Premiere to try and save us from ourselves.  We're professionals and we know what we're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines