• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are the ProRes codec and .MOV file no longer supported?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the following over at Creative Cow with no luck... hopefully I can get answers here ...

I am on a MAC - I joined the Adobe bandwagon during the great FCP migration of 2011 ... So far it's been great but...

Both Premiere CC AND After Effects CC are not recognizing Pro Res ...heck it doesn't seem like they are recognizing QUICKTIME in general (both progams are rejecting a .MOV I have with the animation codec) ...

When I try and open up a CS6 sequence in CC I get a message saying "The preset used by one or more of the sequences in this project requires third party components that could not be located." When you click ok just to get the project open, the media is offline.

When I try and IMPORT a .MOV into Premiere CC I get "The importer reported a generic error."

When I try and IMPORT a .MOV into AE cc I get "Cannot be imported- this 'MooV' file is damaged or unsupported.

When I try a test render out of AE cc the default Format is Quicktime, but when you go to the Video Output Format Options the Video Codec has the number "0" instead of a list of codecs .... and when you click on the "0" it changes to "-1". Seriously there are NO codecs listed in the Options - No ProRes, No Animation, just the number zero.

Media Encoder obviously is essentially the same story.

This seems to be a Quicktime thing ... not JUST a ProRes thing.

CS6 has no problems working with my Mac and QT/ProRes ... so I know it's not my machine...

I really don't feel like calling India today to process a refund, but if I can't get this working on my Mac I dont need to pay for Adobe CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thereelists wrote:

wouteralberts what was the solution for BMPCC you mentioned? Nothing at the link/user you provided.

Post # 13:

I have been having the same issue...not sure if this was ever resolved.

One thing I found that works, if you try to open your file in QT, for me, it converts the file automatically before playing it.  After the file converts, save it in QT.  Then import that into Premiere and it should work.  The only thing I found that doesn't transfer with the new file, is if there are any alpha channels, they do not save those alpha channels.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I think the reinstall of media encoder, QT7 and reimport of files did the trick.

Does this however mean we are only able to use 4gb of memory, as it's a 32bit, not 64-bit, plugin, or am I confused?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll just throw this out there, should anyone else stumble upon this. I'm plagued with Premiere CC 2014 suddenly not recognizing ProRes files. I've tried everything that I can find: preference & cache deleting, app reinstalling, killing the DVCProOutputThingamajiggy codec, etc.

Some weird tricks that I've found could help (note this is on a Mac):

1. Move the files up one folder level, and relink. I've had weird success occasionally with this. Screws up my organization, however.

2. Change the file name and relink. On a whim, I just changed the name of my file from "MonitorCam-Pt3_ProRes.mov" to "MonitorCam-Pt3-ProRes.mov"...essentially replacing the underscore with a dash. BOOM, clicked in. Why? Only the programming wizards will know.

3. Open files in AE, and bringing them into Premiere that way. Obviously, this doesn't help you with your initial post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Knappjs,

Also check out this article. Though for After Effects, the same applies with Premiere Pro solutions for problems with QuickTime files in After Effects CC (12.0) because of conflict with DVCP...

Quick question, did you happen to update the ProRes codecs as listed in this link? ProApps Codecs v1.0.5

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2014 Oct 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Yep, the codecs are updated. I will say that, with the recent slew of updates, the system is much more stable. Phew! Kudos to the team for making the much-needed fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 8, 64 Bit running AE/Premier CC and also CC14.

I'm having this terrible .mov "corrupted or not supported" issue.  But here's the thing:  I have been working on a project for about a week or two (as well as countless others) on the same exact system and importing and using .mov files with no issue whatsover.  Now, all of a sudden, this issue is happening.

It was happening in both AE and Premier.  But now, for whatever reason, Premier is working fine.  But AE is a bust.  Both the CC version and the CC14 version.  The only thing I have done to my system is do the upgrades via the Adobe Creative Cloud.  Do I need to uninstall the older versions of After Effects?

Very very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi El Tiburon,

Did you update your project file from 8.0.1 to 8.1 midway thorough the project?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another bizarre twist:  I can import .mov files into AE, AS LONG AS THEY HAVE NOT BEEN IMPORTED BEFORE.

I just imported 3 .mov files into my AE project - no problem.  But when I now try to go back and reload or replace the files that are actually in my project, no good.  Gives me the standard "corrupted or not supported"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After running into more PP import problems with ProRes (on a Mac), I found another option:

4. Go to Disk Utility, repair all permissions. That worked when changing the file name (or folder level) didn't work. So very weird...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue - kind of.  All .mov files or .mp4 files will only import the audio from the clips - no video.  Thoughts on fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2014 Nov 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same error message "Reported a generic Error.." when I import my XML file from Davinci Resolve.  It was working fine before.... somehow it just stop working correctly 2 months ago.  Did I do something incorrectly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as you have QuickTime installed, Adobe Premiere Pro supports ProRes .mov and most Quicktime codecs natively. If you've have QuickTime installed, but can't get files imported, you can try to get your MOV clips to be transcoded or rewrapped with third-party software before import. Handbrake is one choice. But here I especially recommend you to get a video converter app from brorsoft that comes with the optimal preset for Adobe Premiere Pro, which ensures the best result when working your MOV files in Adobe Premiere CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christing1988 撰写:

As long as you have QuickTime installed, Adobe Premiere Pro supports ProRes .mov and most Quicktime codecs natively. If you've have QuickTime installed, but can't get files imported, you can try to get your MOV clips to be transcoded or rewrapped with third-party software before import. Handbrake is one choice. But here I especially recommend you to get a video converter app from brorsoft that comes with the optimal preset for Adobe Premiere Pro, which ensures the best result when working your MOV files in Adobe Premiere CC.

That's nice. The software solves my problems easily. Now, I can start my MOV videos in Adobe premiere  workflow without encountering any video&aduio problem. Thank you for sharing. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstall all the suite. Still i can't import Prores files. What it's going up ? Whu Adobe can not give us a solution to that? Is a Yosemite problem? Is a ProVideo formats recently upadate to version 2 and 2.01 issue? PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP. All the suite useless cause all footage we work is Prores. Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 1.08.09 PM.png

I have all the things adobe says but nothing solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌if you are in cc and are having trouble with prores in after effects, you are not alone.  it would help to know the following:

which prores standard (444 or 422; LT, HQ etc)

describe storage (nas, raid, connector)

how file was encoded (camera made prores; ffmpeg variant; media encoder)

did you install the resets for your version of prores (with yosemite and or compressor 4/final cut x latest you will need cc version of ame presets for proper encoding; earlier os and compressor, use cs6 version)

you may have a corrupt file or bad header, so pass it through ame to another file on another drive and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harley and thanks for the response.

Answers to your questions

1. All Prores standard does not import

2. I have tried from any storage, usb3, nas, root disk ...but nothing

3.Origianal File was XAVC encoded to Prores with Media Encoder (in other situations with Compressor)

4.No i did not install any preses. I did knew there are ... I read something here in the post but i  thought it was for CS6 only. Sorry my mistake,  where i can find that Presets. And u think that will help.

Yesterday i was talking with the Adobe Support team . The agent take control of my system remotely and did some tests.

1. He open the Prores file in Quicktime to test if it is ok and was ok.

2.He export the file to h264 using the quicktime and opened it in AME and Premiere and ok. I think did that to check if other Quicktime codecs-files running well.

3. Then he tried to export to Prores with Premiere but he get the error.

4.He install the Cuda driver. I did  not have it ....but not resuts

5. He reset the preferences of apps... but not result

6. Then i was waiting about 30 mins and i finally i asking him if forget me or he is checking a solution? He answer to me that the issue must be the Pro Video Format 2 and i have to roll back to older vrs. I told him i dont know how to do that (except if i format the system) and he told me to ask Apple. And we closed .

Thats the news until now. I m ready to format the system and install from beginning and try to not update to Pro Video Foramts 2 until Adobe or Apple give a solution.

And to day you send me about that presets. I will search for them now ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just install the presets AME CC 2014.1 Prores presets but not result. I encode to Prores but i can not  import ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 07, 2015 Jun 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the wait.  Once the presets are installed correctly for your system...

You have compressor and the pro-res codec...  Cuda kills any semblance of gfx performance right now.  He shouldn't have installed.  See if you can look up an uninstall.

Let's start with premiere...  When I added the presets at first, I couldn't import them in CS6 either.  I had to hack premiere into accepting them.  The way this works:

Right click the Premiere.app and select show package contents, then go to Contents folder, Settings folder, Encoder Presets folder.  Paste the same presets you installed for AME here.  Restart.  Open premiere, try to import the file into a new premiere pro project with no sequences.  IF that works, move on to the next step.  If not, you may need to go to apple site, get support there.  You may try repair permissions on your hard disk, too.  That may be the problem.  If it's working now, you should be able to create your own sequence presets based on that.  Basically, by dropping the presets in the encoder presets folder, you allow it to use pro-res for previews.

As for the import to AE... ...Have you tried roundtrip through Premiere?  Load the file into premiere, then create a sequence from it, right click the clip, and then select REPLACE with AFTER EFFECTS COMPOSITION.  If you do this and it fails, you know it has something to do with the codecs not being found by AE.

The only problem I can think of right now are the QT mini server that passes video out of qt is broken on your install.  One test may show a difference...  Look up how to hack pro-res onto mac without compressor, and install the old version of pro-res that way.  You already have compressor, so I see no reason why you should worry about a licensing issue, you're just including an older version for cross compatibility.  Once you install the older prores codecs, restart, then open up AE and try to import.  Again, if this doesn't work, you can check for the qtserver link that reads\writes qt.  You'll have to navigate the app package like I described for Premiere, and go to the Contents folder.  Here you should see a file named SIMILAR to "Adobe QT32 Server.app", which is the QT messaging package.  Go to the Frameworks folder, find the QT client Framework, and the QTPARSER, these are the command protocols that go through the QT Server (At least in CS6). Leave the frameworks folder, and go to the Plugins folder, then the MediaCore folder.  You should have the QTExporter and the QTIMPORTER plugins.  If any of these files are missing, you may not have a working install.  So uninstall AE ONLY.  Then Reinstall it.  It should pick up your other installed EPR files, along with detecting the PRORES codec package, and should install the importer and exporter plugins correctly.  If it does not, then recent APPLE updates have locked your codecs out of adobe, yell at apple.

More tests if you get bored:

Try using Quicktime itself to output a pro-res file.  Try using Compressor to output a pro-res file.  If you are setting the quality, Remember that Premiere and AE don't like long GOP settings.  The lower your quality, the longer the GOP.  Set between 70 and 100 for best results.

And, for the record, the 32 bit QT server is riddled with small issues on a 64bit system... ...Remember that.  It only supports 422 imports at 8 and 10 bits, and 10 bits is sketchy sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2015 Jun 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harley and thank u very much for your patience for all that. It is complicated and unfortunately i dont  have the time to do all that stuff. I will format all the system and reinstall the Adobe suite without any Pro Video update and will see. Now these days i m working a project to another Mavericks Mac machine ...  i hope Adobe to the coming soon updates fix all that.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard that recent updates have fixed this on mac.  If they haven't, my solutions still work for premiere.  Once you are in premiere, you can go to AE and it will pick up the data from premiere about the QT files.   With CC, and the prores coders from the Compressor and Final cut includes, you will have the ability to edit the files.  However, (though several on other sites may claim windows runs prores) Windows does not have the latest prores edit capability that mac has.  You will have to hack your machine to your own specific situation with regard to your specs, and you'll have to use FFMPEG, as the apple codec is the older prores codec.  FFMPEG will allow you to edit the prores on win, but requires setting some values; not for novices.  Use a mac, forego the trouble.  Remember, that if you have trouble accessing pro-res in AE, you will have to re-encode the video for use with it, or hack it to allow pro-res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another update for you...

Older versions of AE use the basic 32bit version of Quicktime server.  This is currently not compatible with the newer codecs.  Newer adobe versions do function correctly with new prores codecs, provided they are installed correctly, and that the presets for media encoder are installed.  These presets are linked lists that forward sequence and comp data through the codecs.  There may still be a copy of the 32bit server for older versions of the video files, and it might work with older encoded files, but I haven't seen any kind of reliability with it.  Using only the new codecs has proven to be the best method.  They will work with older files as well.  On mac, if you purchase the advanced codecs, you'll need the presets that match in Adobe Media Encoder for reliable operation.  On windows, the apple codecs are unreliable on their own, but you can fashion your own from FFMPEG.  Installed first, FFMPEG will allow you to fashion some settings for prores.  Here you'll have to look it up yourself.  Once you've done that, install your video software (premiere, After effects, etc).  There's also a preset that lets you link to FFMPEG in Adobe media encoder, running the linkage through FFMPEG and placing the files in the Broadcast folder under Apple Prores, for the basic output styles.  For 444 camera data, you'll have to recode to 422 for use in your apps.

Note:

Some have reported great success with windows and the HQ codecs bought from apple.

Here are the basic requirements--

12gb ram, non-nvidia graphics card of 4gb, intel i7, very powerful cooling, RAID work drives on sata3 or faster, SSD internal OS and APP drive.  Adequate cooling--3 fans at least.

Anything less will cause problems.  If you want to make sure of performance, 16-24 gb of ram and at least one xfire graphics card at 6gb will almost guarantee performance.  More cooling will help, as well as maintenance.

Nvidia cards have difficulty if you install cuda, and it doesn't appear to be limited to macs.  If you use the advanced apple codecs, the programming in cuda can cause problems.  OPENCL does not.  You can use nvidia cards if you don't utilize cuda.  XFIRE on the other hand is more of an OPENCL threading and worksplitting architecture.  With multiple cards, you increase performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines