Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio Ducking timing problem

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a question about the Audio Ducking feature in Premiere Pro and I could not find an answer to it anywhere.

Maybe someone is able to help me over here

I am using the ducking feature to duck music against my voice over. But the only thing that ducking seems to be able to do is lowering the music BEFORE the voice over starts and bringing the music back up AFTER the voice over ended. sometimes that does sound pretty strange - music lowers - then you hear the VO..

I'd like to have that a little more overlapping - music will be faded and whilst the music is getting lower the voice over will start . right now it seems like two seperate steps - A music lower - B voice over... and I'd like something more like an AB-function - both steps combined

Is that possible somehow?

Thanks & cheers,
Sebastian.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

This is the only way Premiere will do this "automatically" - as with most "Automatic" things it isn't necessarily the way you want it. At least you can get Premiere to generate the keyframes, then massage them yourself. You could probably get a script to rearrange them, but it would probably still need some manual tweeking.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what's happening is normal.  You want the music fully lowered before the voice comes in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be "normal" but it does not sound nice. It sounds more homogenous when blending those two audiotracks.

For reference take a look at my 2 screenshots.

"01" is how it is done right now in PP
01.JPG

And "02" is how I'd like it to be
02.JPG

Any ideas?

Thanks & cheers,

Sebastian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anybody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only way Premiere will do this "automatically" - as with most "Automatic" things it isn't necessarily the way you want it. At least you can get Premiere to generate the keyframes, then massage them yourself. You could probably get a script to rearrange them, but it would probably still need some manual tweeking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian,

this is not what I hoped to hear but what I expected to hear. I guess I'll set up a feature request then

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're trying for the music to fill every hole or breath pause, like the compressed pop radio stations, I find riding the music level on a fader sounds more natural. Watching the dialogue on the timeline shows you the up and down points and doing it manually allows the fades to be more musical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

maybe wave vocal rider plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what you're after adjusting the "Fades" slider to a shorter time may help. Also - you can get the settings close to what you want and then use the generate keyframe option and adjust as needed from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would advise not to use auto ducking in Premiere, especially with bigger projects that have a tendency to have changes done to them after the first export. I use Audition instead.Adobe Audition:

Google for "Adobe Audition: Automatic Music Ducking | Larry Jordan". With Larry's tricks, you can decide when and how to duck

You first export each audio channel seperate and then use this technique (I made a template in Audition, as I use this every other week). I just place the separate audio parts (in my case: Interviews, Voice Over, Set noice, Music) and within a few seconds I have a ducked audio export of a 1 hour program. Especially if you use tools like CN Levelator to first level off all the audio of all the different speakers AND set noices, is this THE way to go. Also when you have to deliver a version with both a version with VO and without VO in the same MXF file. Just an extra export in Audition with the Voice Over track muted.

Good luck

Marque

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines