• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto saves didn't auto save.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very weird problem, and has never happened before.

I have auto saves set to every 2 minutes, because premiere crashes a lot for me. I was working on a project for 2 hours, and I saw the auto save window and bar pop up many times. Then premiere crashed, so I opened up the project again only to see I lost 2 full hours of work. I checked the project file, and the existing auto saves, all of them said last modified: 2 hours ago. I have no idea what happened, and this is very stressful. I can't seem to find others with this problem, and I have no idea why it happened. That was the only sequence opened at the time so it wasn't saving a different sequence or anything. This makes no sense at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Do not rely on autosaves,  Autosave in Premiere Pro has never been reliable.

Save different versions of a project as you go along at regular intervals to a backup drive different from the drive on which your projects are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sometimes the autosave folder for a project is not where you think it is.  So I'd suggest you do a system wide search for the project name.  Here's an example of a recent project I worked on.  "Kaddish Pr2020.prproj"

If I do a search for "Kaddish Pr2020" I'll see besides some other stuff, files with a name like this

"Kaddish Pr2020-2021-03-15_19-43-30.prproj". This is an autosave which has the project name with the date and time appended to it.   

If by some chance there are no autosave versions, take confort in the fact that recreating work you've already done is always much faster than doing it the first time.  (this is the voice of experience speaking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to some major foulups in saving when I started, and getting reamed here (back around 2014) about what, you didn't do any manual saves? .... by several of the more experienced posters here ... I got started doing a Ctrl-S just every so often without even thinking about it.

Why do manual saves, save a copy and/or save-as iteratively?

Think out the auto-save process. You have it set for say five minutes and keep twenty before it over-writes them. Start working. That means that in a couple hours, you'll be overwriting previous auto-saves.

Now ... at some point, a bit of corruption or error or whatever creeps into a sequence or file database within PrPro, something odd. But it's not on the sequence you're buried in working away. And you keep working.

Then you go to work on that first sequence you worked on this morning, and ... it's hosed. Go to your auto-saves. And even back to the oldest auto-save you've got left, it's ... hosed.

Which means ... you're hosed.

Autosave cannot save you from everything, period.

And any major step forward, it's a good idea to either save-a-copy or do a save-as to an iterative name, and then continue working in the new iteration. You've then got a solid history of that project you can always get back to, with good working parts.

By the time you do it a few times, you don't even have to think anymore, just do. Takes a few seconds per time. And will save you hours, including maybe your neck when you would have otherwise missed a deadline.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be honest here. I don't care how hard is to build a proper software but as long as it charges you MONEY it HAS TO WORK! And what has it done, it dumped my 8h of work straight into thrash.. I saw autosave pop up window 100s of times and it DID NOT save anything, so what is the purpose of having the opetion which is not reliable or not working at all? It's really the WORST software possible to work with, I don't say this in general because everything else is great but the reliability is WORST ever, the Auto save doesn't work, and SAVE AS also saves exactly N O T H I N G!!!!! So what do I have to do? Save files with my own hands into the hard disk using magic stick? Really disappointing...

Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration but have you double checked your autosave location in your project scratch disk settings?   and done a system wide search for your project name?  I've been working with video editing system for a very long time and everyonceinawhile I've slipped up and made a mistake...  it happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very similar thing happened to me. Auto-Save in general needs to be completely revisited. I have mine setup for 2 minutes as well, and it always haults my workflow because when the window pops up you can't do anything until it leaves. With the 15.1 update, Auto-Save has been sending premiere into "Not Responding" mode. A week ago I lost about 20 mins in progress and couldn't find an auto-save, nothing compated to your loss. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a decently long time user, I simply don't understand a 2- minute a-s. How many saves do you have set?

If 20 ... that would mean that in under an hour you would be over-writing previous auto-saves. And so if there was a bit of corruption in there you didn't notice, you're ... in trouble.

Do you do any manual saves and save/as or save a copy? I learned real quick that auto-save even when working perfectly couldn't save me. I was using 5 minute saves, 20 copies. Didn't otherwise save my project. And yep, after going to a different sequence there was corruption in it. That project came down. And it was in all a-s copies.

From then on, I've done the Ctrl/Cmd-S routinely as an auto-action of my fingers. Do iterative save-as routinely and continue from the new file. Do routine save-a-copy of any major projects.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I've said before, I save my premiere projects to a folder that is automatically synched to my dropbox account.  There are a number of advantages to this workflow.  First, I work in a few locations on a number of computers with either duplicate drives containing my media or with a portable drive I shlepp with me.  The latest project is available locally on all the computers I work on.  AND, dropbox allows me to access all versions of the project file saved in the last 30 days....   

Been working this way for the last few years in premiere without any issues...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone said before in this chat, look throughout your entire computer. I had the same problem but when I searched for the video i found several iterations of saved copies. I looked for the most recent one and there it was

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What "professional" software cant do an autosave? totally unacceptable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had this problem many times in fpc7.  So other "professional" software can have this problem...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are routinely complaints on the BlackMagic forums that a user had no autosaves in Resolve. Yea, it happens at times. Seems like it shouldn't, but does.

Which is why I never trust to autosaves with any type of app, spreadsheets, word processing, video post, whatever. Never ever rely on autosaves.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community, 

I had a bug report I was going to highlight here in this post, but I could not locate a good one. The obvious clickbait one, I believe, has been solved:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/37064065-auto-save-not-work...

The comment, "Manually saving seems to disable whatever timer auto-save is using," is important in the report. I believe that manually saving used to override the AutoSave function from being enabled. That is no longer the case. Therefore, please file a new bug if you are experiencing something similar.

The User Guide says the following: 

The auto-save occurs irrespective of whether you manually save the changes to the project or not. Earlier, Premiere Pro would not execute auto-save if you manually saved within the interval setting. If the system goes idle for a period beyond the interval setting, Premiere Pro forces an auto-save.

If people are still experiencing Auto Save failing on you, please leave a message below and we can help you troubleshoot.

User Guide Documentation describing the Auto Save feature is here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines