Batch import files without creating new bins ?

Explorer ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, is there a way to batch import clips without creating a bin structure that duplicates the source directory structure of the clips ? i.e. import a bunch of clips from various directories into just one bin ?

I'm working with some DJI Inspire UAV footage, where every clip is in a separate directory (groan !), and I'd like to import the whole lot in one go (there's 200+ clips), but without creating a new bin for each clip (hope this makes sense)...

... thanks in advance for any help ... cheers

TOPICS
Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022
Camera formats that create a new folder for each clip often have specially broken-apart pieces that join together to make that "clip". So at times, importing such media not in its folder structure can 'break' the use of the clips. You could dupe the folder structure, and then try it, just copying the clip and pasting several together. The only way to grab a bunch of media in separate folders in one go that I know of in Premiere is actually their new Import page ... if you select the top leve...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera formats that create a new folder for each clip often have specially broken-apart pieces that join together to make that "clip". So at times, importing such media not in its folder structure can 'break' the use of the clips.

You could dupe the folder structure, and then try it, just copying the clip and pasting several together.

The only way to grab a bunch of media in separate folders in one go that I know of in Premiere is actually their new Import page ... if you select the top level folder, it seems to bring all media into the project without subfolders/bins.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> new Import page ... if you select the top level folder, it seems to bring all media into the project without subfolders/bins.

I agree with Neil. This is what I found - of course, I wanted the opposite, for it to keep my few, purposely created subfolders!

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda weird behavior, as if you've got say 10 clips in the top folder, and a hundred in subs, it brings them all in. Uh ... how do you select only that top folder? Didn't get that far in testing, as I'll still use the main way for experienced users to setup projects.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil - so the new Import page did what I was looking for, at least until it is "fixed" to support creating a bin structure that matches the source directory structure ... it would be nice to have this as an option on import ... this was my first experience with the new interface, and I can now understand what all the complaints are about ... it's super-counterintuitive ... 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh, it's all sorts of non-intuitive. And ... something that isn't well known it seems ... their M&E (marketing & experience) people do tons of online and in-person testing and surveys. I've been through both online and in-person.

"If you saw this window with these four options, what would you expect they would do?" ... for an hour or more. So it's actually heavily researched.

And yet ... they come up ... with ... this.

Huh.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines