Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best export settings for HD video to DVD

Sep 22, 2010 Sep 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I now use premier pro cs5, from cs4 on my mac, love it, but I shoot with a cannon XL H1s HD video, my questiion is when viewing video from camera or on the screen in cs5, perfect hd picture, but when I export to DVD, i see in the media encoder if I choose mpeg2-DVD it goes output to 720x480, how do I export to dvd for the best HD seetings for DVD to get a HD playback on the DVD, now I see an OK video on the TV playback, but not the same as the original recording, can anyone help,, thanks in advance for any help.....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

**UPDATE**
Played back the DVD after burn. Worked great. The key for me was originally encoding my HD video w/ H.264 format in SD size and bringing that in to Encore and creating a DVD image (.iso file). I got the best loss-less results doing it this way for whatever reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

**UPDATE**
Played back the DVD after burn. Worked great. The key for me was originally encoding my HD video w/ H.264 format in SD size and bringing that in to Encore and creating a DVD image (.iso file). I got the best loss-less results doing it this way for whatever reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm giving your settings a try, since I have been so dissatisfied with the quality I've gotten in the past with dvds. You did not mention what you set the bitrate encoding to in Encore when you adjust the settings. Do you use CBR, or VBR 1 pass?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artisan, everybody experiences the same outcome as you when compressing HD video to standard definition.

You use the correct codec (MPEG-2) in the process. What you can do to further improve the quality of the SD footage is to raise the bitrate

to 8 mbps. I output my HD files using the MPEG-BD codec and bump the bitrate to the max (40 mbps). Only then can I approximate the quality of the original footage. You can see now how much information and detail one lose when one's bitrate is merely 8 mbps (SD video) compared to the 40 mbps of the HD video. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this help alot, but when you change your setting to MPEG

-BD codec, are you then using a blu-ray disc in you final burn or standard disc,

I need to get best results since we do lots of disc for people, and most only have standar

d DVD player,

My goal is to get the best quality output for standard disc, maybe if they what full HD, I offer that but in will be on a blu-ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have clients with only DVD players, I would down-rez the HD material to SD and burn a DVD for them. You might find Jeff Bellune's tutorial, linked in this ARTICLE, useful for this process.

For those with BD players, then do a full-rez BD for those.

One can put HD/BD material onto a DVD disc, BUT it will be a very, very short duration, and a DVD player will not be able to handle the HD material. IMHO, doing that is a waste of time and with no decent results. For some background on DVD and BD, this ARTICLE might be useful, as it links to Jim Taylor's DVD Demystified site.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

One can put HD/BD material onto a DVD disc, BUT it will be a very, very short duration, and a DVD player will not be able to handle the HD material. IMHO, doing that is a waste of time and with no decent results. For some background on DVD and BD, this ARTICLE might be useful, as it links to Jim Taylor's DVD Demystified site.

Good luck,

Hunt

Yes one can put about 20 minutes HD on a dvd just to save having to burn to DB. One still needs a BD-player but the quality is excellent.

I do it all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

Thank you. I did not recall what the limited Duration was, but 20 mins. sounds about right.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, I did not know that you could burn a short BD on a standard DVD disk and play it in a BD player.  This is great for testing footage w/o the expense of a BD disk.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BD-RE disks are also good for that task, just like DVD-R/W disks were good for testing/review purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion has me thinking of another idea that I'd like some input on.  For short run SD initiated projects, is there any quality gain to be had by encoding them as a BD?  If I encode SD at 8mb, I could encode this same footage to 20 or 30 mb and put it on a DVD (or blu ray disk) and play it back on Blu Ray player.  If I did this, would I see any quality difference in the final product for 720x480 source input and output?  I am just wondering if anyone has any experience trying this.  I suppose that it might depend on the source material?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you burn Blu ray on a DVD? I tried and my Blu Ray burner says wrong media?

Thanks

Mitchell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>How can you burn Blu ray on a DVD?

BluRay image on a DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/871854

AVCHD direct to BluRay http://forums.adobe.com/message/2785066

AND a possible workaround http://forums.adobe.com/thread/706465

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2012 Jul 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Artisan, just wondering what progress you've made since posting this. I'm in a similar position with my sports videography business and looking for better solutions. I'm wondering if maybe there is a better codec out there (Divx?) that would improve the quality of my products on DVD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your only option for DVD is MPEG2.  If you want better than that, you need Blu-ray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I have been doing is exporting to AVI - DV Widescreen. Then I import the avi file into Windows DVD Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the way to go for HD to SD.

If you want to encode in 3rd party software (or do not want to use Dynamic Link for Encore)

DV avi is not a lossless codec.

Use uncompressed, a lossless intermadiaire codec or frameserve .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ann, I would be willing to pay for your expertise if you can help me solve my problem or at least improve my workflow. If you are interested, please email me at memovid AT aol DOT com.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

APPJoey,

In an open forum, like this one, you might want to mung your POP address, something like this "____ AT ___ DOT ___," (mine gets written as "info AT huntphoto DOT com") so that spam'bots do not harvest that e-dress. Most people can figure out that AT = @ and DOT = . and if they cannot, you can always give 'em short instructions.

I did not reply to your post with the e-dress, so that you can go in and edit it, provided that no one else Replies directly to it - then only a MOD can edit it for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill! I was hoping you were going to take me up on my offer but your friendly advice is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. I just do not want your InBox filled with spam.

In this case, I think that Ann is a better source for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also send a PM (private message), which is an even better option than posting email address in the open forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2013 Jan 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Igor [reply no.3] - Would your comment about bit rates possibly affect the quality of rendering titles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 09, 2016 Nov 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too, bump up bitrate, to make SD look great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look like many people have same probleme  like me!!!

my question is at list how to get raw SD footage quality on DVD I'm doing from Premiere CS5 straight to Encore so on my understanding i'm not converting it only Encore converts it and i raise the bitrate  to 9.4 best what encore can do for DVD but still quality is not same as on SD Raw footage, for BR i get the quality pretty close with 40 MBPS ............is somebody can help me......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines