• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Fixed] Captions burning into video even when not selected to

Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a video ( h.264 ) I am selecting to create a sidecar file ( SRT ) on the captions tab , when I export, it does create the SRT file, but it also burns the closed captions into the video. When I select NONE for Caption Export options when exporting, it is still burning the closed captions into the MP4 file.

This is happening on all 23 sequences inside my project file. The only way I can get the captions to not burn in, is to turn off the eyeball on the Subtitle track. Which then requires me to re-render the entire timeline.

This is using Premiere v15.4.1 build 6 . Any thoughts ?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Hi Community,

This bug has been marked as fixed in Premiere Pro 22.1 and later. If this fix is still not working for you, please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
71 Comments
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you are rendering with your "use previews in export" turned on, and you've already created previews with the timecode burned in. You either need to change that setting on export so you will re-render on export or turn off the captions and re-render your timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. When exporting " Use Previews " is not selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more screenshots? One of the timelines showing the caption track, the Text Panel, and the Program monitor.

Even though you have rendered the sequence with captions off, I would try "deleting" renders and also clearing the media cache.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.
I have attached the screenshots. I did clear the media cache and still had the same results. Captions were still burned in, even when none is selected.

I then cleared media cache ( and verified both the Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders were both empty ) and even deleted the Pro Video Previews , restarted premiere , exported with NONE selected. Same thing, captions are still burned in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTW, very odd. I don't recall anyone reporting this problem.

First, as unlikely as it is, be certain you are looking at the correct export folder/file.

Second, I would reset the Captions workspace. I don't see how this would be the problem. 

Third, create a new project, import an asset, create a caption track and a couple of captions. Then test export.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

I verfied I am looking at the correct export folder. Yesterday I had exported about 20 times , each time when the video showed the captions , i removed it from the folder. I even verifed by looking at the time/date stamp on the file.

I did try a new sequence, and the same happened. I will try a new project once I have all videos from this project delivered to the stakeholders. 

My other task is to create steps/process for co-workers to use Adobe Premiere for captions. Before some would export MP4 , and use either Camtasia to create the SRT file, or create the captions manually ( painfully ) in Storyline.

Appreciate the help and suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your export panel, under Effects, is Timecode Overlay checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Negative. I use a transparent video layer with timecode effect , that I turn off for final draft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Let us know. Very odd.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had time to start a new small project , using some of the same footage and audio. Captions are exporting as they are supposed to.

The only thing I can think of is I use a master project with all  my folders, sequences, etc already created so I have a common start point, something in the project must be "off". I am going to create a new master project "template" and go forth with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting back. Hope everything keeps working!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. So your resolution was to basically start a new project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andrew, let's see if JTW replies. I think that was what helped him.

Note that @Jeff Bugbee suggested one option, re "use previews" on export. There may be another variation simply related to needing to clear the media cache. Starting a new project may reset such things.

If you don't get this working, give us more detail about your project, and post a screenshot of the caption panel, timeline, and program monitor.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that worked for me was starting a new project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops , realized I was logged in under my old account JTW Jr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just confirming , yes my only real solution was to create a new master project to use as a starting point.  Sorry didnt realize my old account still had login info cached above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what happened to me. I transcribe and then create captions. I like to upload to YouTube using the SRT file so I can edit it or tranlate it later. But today, the captions won't turn off even when I hide them. Yesterday and previously, it worked great. Now it does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

valerie,

What specific version of PR are you running? Never had this problem before?

Any Windows etc updates? Any other changes in your system/the project you can think of?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No changes. I'm using the most recent update. The caption function was working normally as of two days ago. I'm a busy YouTuber with several channels. I edit about 5 videos a week. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very odd. I'd reset preferences, clear the cache, create a new test project, and see what happens there.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan,

I created a new project and it started working again. Kind of a pain but not the end of the world. One thing though, when I open the Captions workspace every grinds to a halt. If I want to edit one word on one caption it literally takes one minute for the change to appear on preview. I'm going to try on a new computer later on today and see if that's the problem.Some specs for the problem child in the meantime:

Windows 10 v21H1

OS Build 19043.1237

Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz

Looks like it hasn't had an update since last July. I'll also try that and see if that fixes things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. h.264 render burns in captions rather than creating sidecar.

New project it does not happen, but over time, somehow the problem rearises within the project. Unclear when/where the bug kicks in.

My current workaround is to render twice. Once to get the sidecar (which is also created along with the captions burning into the video). And render once with the eyeball for captions turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the system software I'm now on 

OS Build 19043.1466

Still have the same problem. I switch to sidecar file and the captions remain burned in. I can't really render the timeline because I'm used linked comps with AE and it would have to render the whole thing (it's almost an hour long). 

I have deleted Media Cache to no avail. 

There is, however, an NVIDIA driver that needs updating apparently. I'll try that next. In the meantime, I'm good to go with the new project. If that one starts acting funky I'll post an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

It seems as if this works fine if I do not link my footage to After Effects (right click on clip, select Replace With After Effects Composition). I have a bunch of zoom presentations to edit and I was using AE to align everything. I have abandoned that because it takes much longer to export and as a result it looks like I can export from Premier with a sidecar file and it is not burned into the video. 

Hope that helps someone else.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.

Premiere v22.3.0 build 121

Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

Exporting through Premiere's new-ish export interface, not media encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate