• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capturing DV video from Canon Elura

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I am attempting to download/capture multiple tapes from my canon Elura circa 1999camera.  This is a mini DV camcorder, I have about 25 tapes spanning my children’s growing up years. I am attempting this on a dell Alienware R13 PC,  running the latest version of Windows 11, using adobe, premiere Pro, the latest version, 2023.  I have connected the camera to the PC using a fire wire card, The camera is connected, the PC sees it and premiere Pro sees it.  I have created a Project, a folder, name of a folder, everything I’m supposed to do in premiere Pro but I don’t know how to capture.  I can play the video and look at the entire tape in premiere, but it doesn’t capture and there is no glaring button anywhere that says capture! I know I’m doing something wrong and I know it’s something very simple but I need some help , also if anyone’s thinking, I’m supposed to hit the red record button,  I have, and it doesn’t record it plays but it doesn’t record, because the folder I’ve created in the drive I’ve pointed it to,  show nothing so, again it’s probably something very simple that I missing.  I would appreciate some feedback , I’d like to use Premier to capture,  as inevitably all this footage is going to go through premiere when I cut and edit to make home movies. Please advise.

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera is offline.

You need to know if Windows 11 recognizes your camera.

You can check this in Device Manager.

I had no such luck with W11, had to find an old PC and installed W10 and my D8 camera showed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No No!   this screen capture i included simply shows the interface. (Buttons etc)  The PC/camera is at home and it very much is online as i can start watch and stop the tape in Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what is the problem. Just hit the red button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did and it doesnt record! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old link, but may fix your problem

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/cant-capture-dv-hdv-video.html
-Legacy driver http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/Firewire-1.htm
--ALL versions of Windows from 7 through 10 (and 11 ?) need the legacy driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

legacy driver? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You dont need a driver for windows 11.

Is the camera set to play mode and dv out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THis is how my screen looks. It plays the video but doesnt record. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to press play and record in the capture panel.

The Home folder is that on a local drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to dig up an old post, were you ever able to figure this out? I'm running into the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to dig up an old post, were you ever able to figure this out? I'm running into the same problem. 

By @Dimitri343552696id7

You don´t mention wich version of Premiere Pro you are using so maybe this is the problem: Tape-based workflows retired in Premiere Pro (adobe.com)

If you are on Windows i recommend the now free of charge ScenalyzerLive since it is more reliable than Premiere Pro's own capture engine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro 23.6.2 on Windows. I have captured over a 100 tapes with this workflow over the last 4 weeks. This morning, for some reason, Premiere Pro's "record" button is not starting the recording. I have full device control, but the red circle just isn't doing it. It almost feels like a UI glitch. 

I saw your other post recommending ScenalyzerLive and I am recording my first tape with it right now. So far it appears to be going well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...I have full device control, but the red circle just isn't doing it. It almost feels like a UI glitch.

By @Dimitri343552696id7

Long shot:
One thing you can try in Premiere Pro is to launch the Capture panel and instead of clicking the red circle just press once at the key "G" on your keyboard. ("G" activate the capturing. Hit ESC or S to stop recording/capturing.)

Averdahl_0-1703005640413.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, I just tried it, but doesn't look like it works either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, I just tried it, but doesn't look like it works either. 

By @Dimitri343552696id7

Then i would have done a reset of the Preferences. Resetting the Preferences does often solve glitches in Premiere Pro.

How to: Solved: FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere ... - Adobe Community - 8236158

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BINGO!!! That did the trick, thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines