Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour Shift when uploading to Youtube and Frame.io

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I've been driving myself nuts today reading the entire internet looking for a solution to no avail, I'm hoping someone here might have the answer.

Whenever I render my footage, that I've carefully colour graded, it looks fine played back in VLC, and matches my program monitor in Premiere, in Quicktime it looks less saturated and less contrasty (I've read a lot about QuickTime gamma issues, and not too bothered about this part) and crucially when I deliver on to youtube or frame.io I get the same issue as with quick time. Weirdly if I take a snapshot from VLC it looks like this too.

I'm editing in Premiere Pro on a Macbook Pro. Exporting to h264 rec 709.

Does anyone else experience this? How do you get around it?

Example

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an insoluble problem, in that the Apple ColorSync utility displays Rec.709 media at the wrong display gamma.

Apparently, some Mac screens do allow an option for something called HDTV, or something close to that ... other than Rec.709 ... and that setting does use the 2.4 gamma.

So understand what you're seeing on a Mac at gamma 1.96 is different than I will see on a PC or TV of the same YouTube vid.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah great, thank you for explaining! Well not great, it's annoying. But at least I understand what the cause is now. 

Yeah MacOS does have the ability to switch profiles but weirdly you lose the ability to adjust the brightness of your screen if you change your profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines