• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Control Surface Bug - No Bank Controls in Clip Mixer

Enthusiast ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next Bank / Previous Bank MIDI controls work for the track mixer but not the clip mixer (that is, the controls do not work if the “Toggle Control Surface Mixer Mode” is checked). They should work for both Track Mixer and Clip Mixer.

This is with a Behringer X-Touch Compact in MC Mode.

R.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Remote Index,

Thanks for the message. It’s been a long time since you filed this bug, and I apologize for the lack of a response. Are you still having this issue? Let us know.

I'll move your post to the Discussions board while we await your information.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin, yes this post still stands.

Have you been able to replicate the issue?

Have control surface support been updated at all?

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Remote Index 

I'm sorry, but I can't access this gear to repro anything like that. I'll add @mstegner to the discussion. I hope he has an update for you regarding control surfaces.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Next Bank / Previous Bank MIDI controls work for the track mixer but not the clip mixer"
I just tried this using Premiere Pro beta 24.5.0x21, using a Presonous FaderPort USB via Mackie Mode.  It is working for me.  When I enter Clip Mixer mode, and press the "Prev/Next" button on this controller, I see the motorized fader update to the track that is "selected" (I put quotes here because there is no visual selection that appears in the Premiere UI unfortunately).

Are you anticipating something else?  Or is what I'm describing above what you are expecting and it isn't working?

You don't mention what device you are using, so you might need to alter the Type of controller mapping from the main Mackie control to the Logic control. 

Either way, I cannot reproduce what you are seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check on this one @Remote Index?
Thank you, @mstegner!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mstenger.

"You don't mention what device you are using."

Original Post: "This is with a Behringer X-Touch Compact in MC Mode."

"You might need to alter the Type of controller mapping from the main Mackie control to the Logic control."

Where is the list of supported devices and the Type of controller mapping appropriate for each device? You mention that you used the PreSonus FaderPort  via Mackie Mode: Where did you get the information to set up your FaderPort using MackieMode?

re: PreSonus FaderPort

The FaderPort manual has no mention of Adobe Premiere Pro. It has entries for Mackie (MCU) operation mode for Logic and Cubase/Nuendo. Under Logic (MCU) there are no entries for bank control. Under Cubase/Nuendo (MCU) there are bank controls.

You have not mentioned how you configured your FaderPort completely, but the above leads me to assume you have either:

a. set it up for Cubase / Nuendo operation

b. confused banks and tracks in your tests.

Please confirm that you have not confused banks and tracks.

Alternately, confirm that the Faderport should be set up for Cubase/Nuendo operation in order to use it with Premiere Pro.

Or finally, please correct my understanding above if I have got it all wrong.

Thanks again.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is with a Behringer X-Touch Compact in MC Mode."

Ah sorry, my mistake. I read forums, then answer them hours or days later sometimes, and, I am very much a human with other pressing duties.
"Where is the list of supported devices and the Type of controller mapping appropriate for each device?"
This was just a trouble shooting step that I was recommending as there are difference between the two maps. I am only aware that there is a difference, not what the specifics are, sorry.
"The FaderPort manual has no mention of Adobe Premiere Pro"
That is not surprising, Presonos probably only writes documentation for thier most popular integrations, and Premiere is probably fairly low on that list compared to the traditional DAW's.
"You have not mentioned how you configured your FaderPort completely"
I had not, that is correct.  I set it up with Mackie mode, using the "Mackie Control" mapping.
"confused banks and tracks in your tests."
That I did.  Again, I read this too fast and responded many hours later.   My apologies.  I was able to verify Track selection working, not Bank selection.

The Premiere implementation of the control surface mappings are rather minimal, and some functionality is missing for sure.  Not adding every single parameter was on purpose, as I recall, due to the sheer size of the SDK, though my memory is very hazy as it was at least a decade ago.  Unfortunately, the device I have available to me doesn't appear to have a way to switch banks so I can't quickly verify it is mapped or not. 

If it is missing as you have stated, it would be a feature request to add it, and that would be prioritized with all the other features.  I.E. I don’t think this would be handled as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a chance to look at this today, and asked a colleague to look at it.  We saw it working with a Presonus Fader Port 8 (8 faders) and a Mackie MCU Pro.  I will attach a video showing it working. 
My guess is that you might have a configuration set up incorrectly or that the device you own is not mapping in the same way.
Would it be possible to post screen shots of your configuration so we can see how you have it set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks mstegner, for taking the time to return to this with further particulars.

Unfortunately, I don’t find much helpful here. You haven’t provided much information regarding your set-up. (A common refrain in this forum is: provide more info).

I am assuming you configured your PreSonus FaderPort 8 as MCU (Logic)? (There are 3 options for MCU configuration on the PreSonus.) The specific set-up info would help (likewise for the Mackie MCU, but I have never used a Mackie MCU and have no idea if there are any configuration options there).

“My guess is that you might have a configuration set up incorrectly or that the device you own is not mapping in the same way.”

You have correctly described my experience with Surface Control support in Adobe Premiere Pro … i.e. “guessing”.

My original post was for Behringer X-Touch Compact in MC Mode. (None of those questions have been answered.) But that was more than a year ago, and I was frustrated with lack of information (from either Behringer or Adobe) and have since traded it in for a PreSonus FaderPort with which to experiment (and do more guessing at less expense). I thought you were referring to this unit in your post (because, in fact, that is what you referred to.) However it’s possible you were referring to the PreSonus FaderPort 8 (as above)?

Anecdata suggests that the Faderport 8 has slightly better interactions with Premiere Pro than the Faderport. But how would I know if my Faderport is interacting with Premiere Pro as it should?

Here’s the best answer I can come up with from Adobe:

“Premiere Pro supports two kinds of control surfaces: Mackie Control protocol (Mackie), Avid and Euphonix control surfaces (EUCON) Check the hardware documentation that comes with the device to set it up correctly.”

So … here’s the first point of difficulty for an Adobe Premiere Pro user. As I indicated above in a previous post, Faderport can be configured 2 ways for MCU (Logic and Cubase/Nuendo). Both ways will be “correct” according to PreSonus (ie., the Logic MCU will work for Logic and the Cubase/Nuendo will work for Cubase/Nuendo). Which way is “correct” for Premiere Pro?

Should I take away from this that FaderPort is not supported by Premiere Pro? But that assumption would then seem to also apply to the FaderPort 8 which also has no configuration of MCU specific to Premiere Pro, as well as the Mackie MCU (ditto, though it does list compatibility with Audition). Are none of these units supported by Premiere Pro?

I did a quick search of the user forums. There are numerous questions about support, configuration, unexpected behavior for control surfaces. Here’s one thread (2014-2020) where you can see a lot of work done by Adobe users, a lot of questions, and no response by anyone at Adobe.

(That thread contains a helpful post from a resourceful user to wrote Mackie about the MCU; Mackie seem sincere in suggesting: “With contacting Adobe directly you will be able to see what control surfaces are supported with their software.”)

Is there no documentation anywhere about any of this?

While I'm fairly pessimistic that I'll actually get much more from Adobe on this, let me repeat a couple of questions in the spirit of hope:

- which way is “correct” to configure Presonus Faderport and Presonus Faderport 8 for Premiere Pro?

- how would I know if my control surface is interacting with Premiere Pro as it should?

Thanks again for the time and consideration you've put into this issue thus far.

R.

@mstegner 

@Kevin-Monahan

(documentation issues)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines