• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert Text File to Premiere Transcript???

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi is this Possible?? 

.rtf to be imported as a "Premiere Pro Transcript?"

Is there a way? I created a transcript of a long interview, exported it as a Text File and deleted allll the speakers 2, 3 and 4 (the interviewer and camera crew) and now want to Import that .rtf as a premiere Transcript so I can then jump to or make subtitles of Only the time Code where Lisa Talks?

Any tips and pointers?
TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

No, there is no option for importing text, transcript form or otherwise, to the TRANSCRIPT tab. The only import is a transcript already in the Premiere Pro proprietary format - which is only available when exported as such.

The work around is to modify your "Lisa only" times/text into an srt and import that as captions.

See these two threads as examples. But how you actrually do this will depend on what you have in your file, and whether you can use the timecodes or not. For this purpose, rt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is no option for importing text, transcript form or otherwise, to the TRANSCRIPT tab. The only import is a transcript already in the Premiere Pro proprietary format - which is only available when exported as such.

The work around is to modify your "Lisa only" times/text into an srt and import that as captions.

See these two threads as examples. But how you actrually do this will depend on what you have in your file, and whether you can use the timecodes or not. For this purpose, rtf has the same issues as Word.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-import-caption-txt-file-in-premiere-p...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-import-caption-txt-file-in-premiere-p...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Stan! Tiz what I feared.  So what I did to try and work around it was, I exported as a text file, and deleted all the other speakers and their time codes leaving only Lisa and the bites where she says something meaningful. It was a good way to familiarize myself with the transcript, but when i converted to an SRT... and brought it into premire.... it didn't line it up with the the interview accurately... it just grouped all the Subtitle Clips together instead of sprinkling them throughout the timeline at their appropriate time Codes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a sort of no man's land between the transcript, which groups large blocks of text in a large time range, and captions that are short bits of text and time. Eliminating whole speakers should work, but the chances are still good that the times would be off within the transcript range for the speaker you are keeping. And it would easy to make mistakes.

I thought I had a couple ways to do this, but every one is tedious.

Best way: record Lisa to her own audio track and select only that to transcribe.

Duplicate the audio track, and in the copy, cut the audio up and delete so you have only Lisa, then transcribe only that track.

In PR in the original transcription, delete all the speakers you don't want. Uh oh; you can't do that. If you could, you could delete them and then create captions with just Lisa.

You can delete all the text from the speakers you don't want, then delete the ones with <Type your caption here>.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my feature request, hopefully it will find its way to the Ears that Hear:

All Premiere to import a standard text file, then incorporate that into the auto transcription algorithm as a cross reference. When the auto transcript is created, it will mostly just be a timing out of the transcript to the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an old thread. The new feature, "Import Corrected Transcript," provides a workaround.

Format your text to be imported as a single paragraph - no line breaks except for a single one at the end.

Create a transcript of your clip/sequence - just to get the timings.

Import the single paragraph text file as a corrected transcript.

See this post for an example:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/two-closed-captioning-bugs/idc-p/14525936#M24477

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines