Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy / Paste markers?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

is there any way to copy/paste clip markers onto another clip?

(I'm in Premiere 2017 and I get duplicated clips when bringing timelines from other projects, and so I end up with the same clip, but in one version it has markers and in the other version -the one brought from another project- it hasn't)

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any documentation regarding this, but may have missed it. I thought I saw a thread where the user seemed to describe such copying.

In any event, I don't see a way to do this. You can now export markers, but when I try to import the file, PR refuses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might depend on where the markers are stored. IN principle, if the markers are stored in XMP within the file, and both instances of the clip are pointing to the same file then they should be there. If your media type doesn't support embedded XMP then the likelyhood is that the markers are stored within the Premiere Project.

Check if you have the "Write clip markers to XMP" option on.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the option 'write clip markers to xmp' unclicked as I have an assistant working with a duplicate of the material. This way allows me to get the markers she applies -as they are stored in the project.

Unfortunately, I also received timelines from old edits and when I imported these onto my project, the material got duplicated. All the duplicated clips in these old timelines (which I will need to use for the sake of speed) don't have any of the markers I had applied.

Is there a way to force writing the already created markers onto an xmp? or is there any other way to copy/paste them onto the duplicated clips?

Let me know

Stan Jones, thanks for your help, I use the export markers to create excels with a list of all my markers, but these files can't be brought to PP to my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a test project to look at this, as I don't know whether you could get some unexpected results. With the duplicates it could create a Real mess.

I believe that when you have the XMP turned off and the markers are stored in the project file, that if you turn the XMP back on, the markers will then be saved to the clip. See if that is true. I'd make sure all your projects and files are backed up to a different location so you can always retrieve the unmarked clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a quick test, the markers were not stored to the clip unless I added a marker (probably any change?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan for trying. It seems this is the case... So I can't see any solution for my problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this in Premiere 2018. I pulled a timelien from another project recently and I was surprised to see it didn't duplicate the clips - both timelines pointed to the same clip instance. That could be because both clips had the same bin-path in each project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody helped you I’m sad 

they don’t even get what your saying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.  XMP files show up in two forms.  For clips and such, there should be one created for every clip you import that has a file.  Clips you make that reference other imported material, subclips, actually place thier related XMP info into the project.  When you package the project using the wizard, so you can move it all, I've had mixed results.  Sometimes the XMP's move, sometimes not.

The best practice I've found is to create marker types for each person in the settings in a standard project file everybody starts with.   Now I can see who marked what when I want to, or turn off the marker types I don't want to see, but they all show up with the clips they are attached to.  This creates less confusion among coworkers, and ultimately provides more cooperation.  Since all have access to the markers, they can be deleted or edited by anybody.  I don't get paid by the marker, I get paid for the finished product.  If somebody wants to rename or otherwise "handle" a marker, so be it.  It's a good practice to see who last put a marker on the clip, so you get insight into the thought process going on.

There are also plugins that will export a markers list to a file so you can keep track of your markers, which should be done after every session.  This lets you follow what's going on for each person, and if there's a battle of the bands, you can have a team leader give the final word and picking one, or creating a new marker of their own (but you won't be able to lock it down).  This works for having everybody able to see each other's work.

Another practice that works alright is putting the original clips in one completely available place, and, using matchframe from where you want to place a marker, place the marker on the clip.  At the end of your session, you can render the clips to a local location.  When working from then on, you can replace the clips with your local version at the start of the session, and once more with the network clips at the end of the session, keeping you XMP files local.  This will separate markers for different editors, but requires them to have the responsibility to relink to the original clips.  At the end of the project, the downside for this is that you'll have to relink each set to put them all into the project without duplication, by placing it on the timeline at the point where they show in the clip, an operation that is tedious for long videos, but not so much for shorter compilations.  It also only keeps the most important markers and allows you to fill in new ones at cut-type edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TO explain my earlier work....

I see what you're describing.   It sees clips from other projects as new imported files, not the same clip.  If the timelines are from somebody elses project file, is the marker on the timeline or on the clips?

If on the clips, you can actually have them send their copy of the clips to you, since it appears that they have a separate file (an actual copy of the clip stored in a different location on the system), and it has a link to the XMP data.  You can RELINK your clip by replacing the footage, and connect it to their clip.

If the markers are on the timeline and so far you haven't made changes (the clips and edits are the same yet), you can simply put your own stuff on top and delete the extra files.  Just make sure that you put the new IMPORTED set into it's own folder, so you can delete the right ones easily.

If you want to combine sets of markers, you may be out of luck directly, but indirectly, there are plugins that will export plugins from a timeline to an excel file, and import them into another.  They usually wipe the markers list, but you can do this for both timelines in export first, then copy\paste in excel or sheets, and import them right back when you are done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all I wanted is to copy paste markers. how hard is that. like this is sad 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the exact same situation. I know this is an ancient thread, but wondering if you ever found a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I need to get into Davinci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines