Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Corrupt MXF file - Cannot import into Premiere

Explorer ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I seem to have a corrupt MXF file which cannot be imported into premiere - the other files from the same source are all fine - its just this single file. I have tried opening this in handbrake and VLC and no luck with that. The file itself is about 9GB so I know there must be content on there. Would anyone know of a utility or a way to fix such corrupt files -ideally on a Mac ? many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

After MUCH investigation, we have concluded that changing the file extension from .MXF to .MPG will allow Premiere to successfully import the clip (4k included)!! No converting needed. Insane that it was that simple. Good luck everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to the camera that recorded the file?

If so, can you successfully play the clip on the camera itself?

If you have already copied all the other clips that are working, some cameras have a menu option to try and correct corrupted clips/directory structures on camera media within the camera itself.

You also might try downloading the EditReady free trial and see if it will see the clip:

EditReady : Transcode Any Camera Source Without The Hassle

the free trial will only transcode the first minute or so of the file, but a least you can see if it can read it correctly.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Meg - the source file was from an auditorium at our recent event. I have tried EditReady etc - I will see what the AV techs say about this - you are probably right - they would be able to study the structure much better than the tools I have - I have opened about 35 MXF files from that source with no problem -many thanks  none the less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After MUCH investigation, we have concluded that changing the file extension from .MXF to .MPG will allow Premiere to successfully import the clip (4k included)!! No converting needed. Insane that it was that simple. Good luck everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just quick note to say thanks for sharing your fix. It has saved me some time saving a wedding clip with the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here and your trick saved my day!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS:I think this is something that should be investigated @ adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life Saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you sir, are a god amongst men

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too, life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tip! Works great -- but just as a warning for folks -- there are dropped frames so the solution is fantastic but not perfect. I had a battery error during recording and towards the end of the clip is where I expereienced lost frames. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey cheeky71,

So, did changing the file extension help you with the MXF file? Or was the file corrupted?

It looks like I have a similar issue, but renaming the file deosn't fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came accross a great guide on how to repair MXF files, might be helpful:
https://restore.media/blog/repair-corrupt-mxf-files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the extension from MXF to MPG. It didn't open in Premiere, but it did open in AfterFX, where I was able to play it in full. I'm going to try to export it now to make it a MOV.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was unable to recover the video file by changing the extension. Only the audio played in both Premiere and After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got a corrupted MXF file and I have already tried all the Trix mentioned in answeres but got no solution. Still, my file is not opening anywhere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think renaming helps only if the file has at least a little bit of data in the beginning that can be used. One of my .mxf files was successfully opened in players but after a certain frame it stopped playing. Premiere Pro didn't allow to preview or export it. I changed the resolution to .mpg, cut the corrupt part after that certain frame in Premiere and managed to export a croppped version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those that renaming the file extension did not work (me inculed), this is what worked for me:

Shutter Encoder

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks alot, livesaver!

Wrerapped .mxf to .mxf and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines