I recently had to put together a solid 1 hour show using two camera sources. Since this is my first multicam edit in a very long time I found PP's multicam edit features to be AMAZING. I'm old enough to remember doing this with tape decks. After I did the basic edits I went through and added cross dissolves to all edit points. Since there were a lot I was CTRL-D'in like a mofo and adjusting the times. Everything seemed fine until I started adding graphics, then all of a sudden some cross dissolves would cut to black then fade up, or cut to black the cut to the next clip. It would do this on everything, not just the multicam edit points. I turned off Mercury HW acceleration and went software only, which resulted in it taking over three hours to export. Since I had to make a correction I turned HW acceleration back on to see what would happen, and sure enough there were dissolve issues on the final export. So I've since gone in and replaced all default cross dissolves with either a film dissolve or the actual cross dissolve transition and am doing an export right now, so I'm waiting to see if that does it. I understand this has been an issue for quite some time. Is there any hope of this ever getting fixed?
Nvidia Quatro K2000
16 gigs of RAM
Windows 10 Pro
Edit: Even after all that work, now it decided that my lower-third graphics would pop up WITH A BLACK BACKGROUND. Looks like software rendering engine for me for this project.
I was CTRL-D'in like a mofo
You can select all the clips and apply transitions to all at once with a single shortcut.
Nice tip, thanks. Still doesn't fix the problem.
I noticed while making a promo for this show in the same project, that it was going fine with Mercury CUDA turned on until it started to stutter, that's when it started dropping to black and being a general nuisance. At least this is only 30 seconds so it won't take hours to export it.
I have had this problem many times. it seems to follow no pattern than i can see. I've had projects do this for weeks, and magically fix themselves. I've had transitions work in one spot (cross dissolve), and not in other spots on the same timeline, sourcing from the same nested sequence. Sometimes i can edit a project, it works fine, and someone else opens it up on another machine, and it doesn't work /(and does the fade to black thing). So i think its hardware related? However im using iMac with the same specs and graphics card as the computer im talking about, so it's weird if that hardware incompatibility would chance between to identical machines. I would also welcome a solution to this problem, because its a real drag. You can have everything all set up, ready to go, render it out on another machine, deliver it to a client, and then realize there's a stupid fake "fade to black" there instead, for no apparent reason. and they do not like that so much. pretty big bug I'd say to ignore it for this long *cough cough*
KennB3, to sort of answer you're question, as a workaround, i've found this to almost always work (and allow you to use openCL rendering). you have to flatten the multicam clips, THEN put the dissolve on there. This usually fixes it. it also destroys you're multicam editing capabilities, so make sure its how you want it before doing it. This way you don't have to struggle through software only rendering. make sure and save a version of you're non flattened sequence so you can go back.
I have been struggling with this as well, and I believe I figured out the cause.
In my case, I'm using cameras that automatically break long clips into multiple files. I reassemble the multiple files for each camera into sequences, and then use these sequences (one per camera) to make the multicam source.
When the cross-dissolve is between two different points from the same camera, but from different original camera files in the nested sequence, the dissolve fades to black and then cuts to the second clip. Turning off the GPU and switching to software-only "fixes" it.
This can be demonstrated using only color mattes. A project file showing this is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dpzlpnae844uj8/DissolveDefect.prproj?dl=1
And a video demonstrating it is here:
I can confirm that this is still an issue in 2020 as of the most recent updates before 23rd of May. The workoaround I used was something like this:
The top footage layer (green) is placed above the preceding footage layers (pink and blue). The preceding footage is a small section that was taken out of the multicam and is then directly readable by my graphics card just for the transition. The selcted clip in the picture was cut for the lenght of a default crossfade transition length and the opacity of this layer just changes from 0 to 100 percent. The multicam layer then fades in normally.
Turning off the GPU and switching to software only fixed it for me. Thank you!!!