Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Display Surface Initialization Failed error on version 22.6.2 on Mac

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our Digital Photo/Video lab, we have 25 iMacs all configured identically (Retina 5K, 27-Inch 2019 models, with the Intel Core i9 CPU, 64 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD, running macOS 12.6.0). No extra monitors or peripherals, just the Apple keyboard and  mouse.  We're using the Shared Device License and Adobe Creative Cloud 2022, and are currently running version 22.6.2 of Premiere Pro.  We've been fighting the "Display Surface Initialization Failed" error since the start of the semester (early September.).   At that time, the machines had just been refreshed (drives wiped, macOS and Apps installed fresh).

Sometimes Premiere starts without an issue, but more often than not, it throws the error.  Sometimes just trying to start Premiere again will work, other times it won't.  A reboot sometimes helps, other times it does not.  As you can imagine, it's very frustrating to the students and the professors when one of their primary pieces of software is so unreliable.  Last school year, we were running macOS Big Sur and Adobe Creative Cloud 2021 on the same hardware, but did not have this error.

Any ideas what might be causing this?  Any suggestions as to what we can try?  We've tried clearing the caches, as well as moving all the plugins to eliminate those as a possible cause, but to no avail.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

started getting this on my windows machine last week... It had happened a couple of times before but a restart had always fixed it.  Updated to Premiere 23 and haven't haven't had it happen since...

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any other apps running at the same time.? do you have any apps that are running as log-in items?  and unfortunately apple sometimes buries things that are running but are not in the log in items.  maybe create a user for the mac in systempreferences users and groups with administrator privileges and see if that makes any difference.

And try previous versions of premiere 22 and see if that makes any difference...  earlier versions of premiere are available in the creative cloud app by clicking on the 3 dots at the far right from premiere listing in apps and choosing other versions.   

Happy to work with you on this....  spent 5 years as an adjunct teaching avid editing and problems with the students machines made me crazy...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the delay in responding.  I've contacted Adobe Enterprise Support, as none of the fixes and workarounds I could find were working.   Unfortunately, they're quite slow to respond and right now I'm waiitng for them to schedule a Teams meeting so they can experience the issue firsthand.  If we discover anything useful, I'll be sure to report it back here.  Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

started getting this on my windows machine last week... It had happened a couple of times before but a restart had always fixed it.  Updated to Premiere 23 and haven't haven't had it happen since...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting - I will updating to verison 23 on a test machine tomorrow and see if that resolves it.  Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard nothing back from Adobe support - it seems they've "ghosted" me.  Overall, their support has been terrible.  The last message I received from them was October 20th, asking for my availabilty to do a Teams meeting.  I've respodned twice, but with no reply from Adobe.  Really dissapointing.

On a happier note, updating to verison 23 seems to have taken care of the "Display Initialization" error.  Thank you for your help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks for following up and closing out the thread.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
promo
COLLABORATION TIPS

Powerful video collaboration and approval features newly integrated in Premiere Pro