Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Display Surface initialization failed' - Version 22.5 Windows 11

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

for a few days, I have been getting this extremely annoying Error in Premiere Pro. When I try to start up Premiere the splash panel comes up, but nothing happens (it doesn't show that it is loading anything). After a short time the error message 'Display Surface initialization failed' shows up and when I click 'OK', it closes.

I believe this error started to come up after the most recent update. I nearly always work with After Effects files in my Premiere Composition (Dynamic Link).

During the last few days I have gotten Premiere to start up a handful of times, by repeatedly trying to start it over and over again. Once in a while it actually starts for no apparent reason.

I have tried everything!! 

• Deleting and reinstalling Premiere Pro
  • Installing older versions
  • Unplugging all my external displays and devices
  • I even did a complete system reset of Windows with deleting every file on my computer

None of these things worked and Premiere still doesn't start up. I don't know what else to do and as I'm a freelancer this problem literally costs me money. Please, does anyone have an idea what I can do to fix this?

My specs:

Premiere Pro Version: 22.5 (also tried 22.4 & 22.3.1)

Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit (newest Version)

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 7590

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM: 16,0 GB (15,7 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch: Pen support

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Thanks

Alex

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED FOR ME

Hello Everyone. I just wanted to chime in because I tried all the fixes and have spent the last 18 to 20 hours trying to fix the "'Display Surface initialization failed'" error. We got it fixed adn it was because I was connecting my monitors through a hub! So, when I connected everything directly to the computer instead of through the "Display Link" everything works but if I had it through the hub, it gave me the error message almost every time. (Except when the Adobe tech Jestin was helping)

Before that I tried:
-Updating the drivers
-Updating Windows 11

-Unpluging vairous monitors one at a time

-Holding down Shift while starting Premiere to clear the cache
-Holding down Ctrl while starting Premiere to clear something else

-I also reinsalled the entire adobe suite

-I also wiped my computer and reinstalled Windows 11 and then the Adobe Suite

-I also tried unistalling various plug-ins.

I am sure I am missing a few but basically those are the things I tried but it was having everything go through a display hub that caused the problems. 

I hope that helps one of you good people. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you get everything connected to your computer I'm having the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE AMAZING!  You just saved me HOURS of trying to troubleshoot this problem. You may also note that once Premiere i sup and running, you can plug your monitor(s) back into the hub and it still works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disconnecting my USB DisplayLink adapter prior to starting the application solved the issue. I was able to reconnect it after the app booted with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines