• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error retrieving frame **** at time **

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to footage taken at a recent event that I shot with one camera, I imported it into premiere pro cc 2019 and then exported it only to get this error message every few seconds.

"Error retrieving frame **** at time **:**:**:** from the file"

The footage was shot on a C300 at 24 fps, in full HD, the sequence is 24 fps 1920x1080 which is a match./

it's only when I try to export it out that I start getting the error.

Please help.

Thanks

H&M

included is a screen capture (hope it helps)

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 08.12.07.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Moderator Note: There are two potential answers to an "Error Retrieving Frame" error. 

• Issue 1: Error Retrieving Frame **** at time **. (Usually occurs with .mxf files)
    • Answer: "Move the footage to a dedicated, internal Media drive."

• Issue 2: Error Retrieving Frame (Usually occurs with underpowered computer systems and H.264 variable frame rate files).
    • Answer: Do one of the following
      • Choose Project Settings > General and select "Software Only."
      • Create a proxy for the file.
      • Transcode th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Here's an updated article with some troubleshooting steps to try if you are experiencing the error: https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-error-retrieving-frame/

If you prefer watching a video, I've made that too: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Hello Community,

Try deleting any video preview files (render files). That has also helped some editors.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 131 Replies 131
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say the cable was the issue/there was a bad connection, do you mean the cable speed was the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same issue too. After trying deleting cache, relinking, and basically everything else that people have suggested, what finally worked for me (per Video with Jens - https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-error-retrieving-frame/) is transcoding the MXF into another file format. So, to put it another way, this is entirely an issue with Premiere and there is no fix until Adobe decides to actually fix it. Having it still be an issue after four years is ridiculous, and it's especially frustrating given that so far, the transcoding I've tried of the MXFs significantly changes the look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as well. Seemed to arise in the last two weeks or so. I was wodnering if it was my DXNR files. Cause when I pull in H.264 I get no errors. But really that shouldn't be happening regardless. 

Then tried installing an old update and that did not fix it either. Seems like we need a new update Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It blows me away that people are still having problems despite this issue
being logged for almost half a decade.

--
Thomas Crotty

Creative Director

Sentinel AV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely shouldn't be changing the look. Are you using Media Encoder and either ProRes 422HQ or if you are on a PC DNxHD in 10 bit? Remember with DNxHD you have to match the target format to the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What solved my problem was disabling the 'Posterize Time' Effect, so I can only assume that every effect that changes frames will cause the issues. I would try to disable all effects first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A wee update to this - but please note that the BELOW SOLUTION DOES NOT APPLY TO EXPORT PROBLEMS arising from frame retreival errors, but to system bogging down with frame substitutions.

Was having the same-ish problem on a new install (and new machine) of Pr 24.2.1 (build 2) with 1080p25 HD422 .mxf files, initially on external GRAID HFS+ formatted 7200rpm drive mounted via MacDrive on PC (w11, fully updated at time of post). 

Wherever and whenever the play-head came to rest, either in Source or Programme Monitor/Timeline - not actually doing anything just sitting there - a slew of "error retrieving frame" alerts would pop up, starting after a minute or so referencing the clip in question, substituting adjacent frames, and then eventually substituting black video.

This was a new problem with a brand-new, well-spec'd, fast processor machine with 32gb ram, 16gb workstation GPU, different drives on different USB 3 ss10 ports. 

I had NO PROBLEMS DURING EXPORT, but viewing and working with footage got really clunky with duped frames, black video inserts etc. Problem would go away when media was rendered on the timeline (obviously not a cure for Source monitor media) - until any changes were applied, the the errors and clunkiness would return.

Restarts, deleting cache files, switching drives etc, made no difference.

I then spotted that 'playback resolution' was set to "1/2" (default on install apparently), which was not necessary given my setup. Switched to 'Full' and all the errors stopped.

I guess this may return if I find some way to max out my setup, perhaps with 8k video or hundreds animated video layers. Hopefully by this time ADOBE WILL FIX THIS!

Good luck out there - and happy knitting.

- x

j

w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines