Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ERROR: The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened. HELP

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Whenever I open my project in premiere pro, I get the error message above. I have already been looking for solutions, but opening an auto-saved file or a save file from earlier, it still gives me the same error message. I cannot even get into the project screen to save it to another place.

PLEASE HELP.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few things to try.

Reset your Premiere Pro preferences.

With Premiere Pro closed, navigate to the preferences file and move it to another location. 

By default, the preferences files are located here:

• Windows: C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\<version>\Profile-<profilename>\Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs
  • macOS: /Users/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/<version>/Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs

The next time you open Premiere Pro, it creates a new preference file.

More details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/reset-preferences.html 

Then launch Premiere Pro by launching from the app - not from any existing project. Basically you want to open a fresh new project and see if that works. 

If it does - clear your 'cache' files

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-premier... 

now try launching one of your problem projects by using 'open project' from the file menu.

If that does not work try 'importing' one of your problem projects.

In a fresh Premiere Pro project go to the file menu and select 'import' - choose one of your old projects and follow the prompts to import 'entire project'.

All the best and good luck. If none of this works, others here may have suggestions - so report back

+ provide some details about your OS and the computer and the version of Premiere Pro you are using. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the thorough reply. I will take a look at it in detail in an hour or two. I will let you know if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I am using a Windows 10 custom built PC with the latest version of Premiere Pro, so no issues there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this worked for me...I'm still getting the error...ugh! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i have the same problem as jan and i tried following Steve's steps.

when i came to the last step of importing one of my problem projects and following promts to import 'entire project', it does not import the project onto the timeline. and so i lose all the edit work i did on it????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jan de Laat 

Seems like you have a corrupted project file.

Try the suggestions here. https://youtu.be/pvNtlXD5p7k

Let us know how you go

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try out deleting my preferences, but the other suggestion from that video I already tried, without succes. Thanks for your reply, I will let you know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why you'd share a video like that - that offers no solution to corrupt project files. Obviously if we had access to auto-saves, we would not be here right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you editing on an external drive? try moving everything locally.

did you try to start a fresh new project and import the damaged one into it?

reset premiere pro preferences.

Clean your media cache

I would try xml wrench but their website is http which is not secure

try what we ussually do to downgrade to previous premiere pro versions (maybe it works):

1. create a copy of your project file (DO NOT WORK ON THE ORIGINAL PROJECT FILE)

2. right click on it and open with 7zip(you can install it for free)

3. select open archive in 7zip

4. right click the file and click on Edit

5. go to line number 4 and change the last number in the line (version = x) to = 1

save the file and open

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, I will take a look at your suggestions in detail in an hour or two. I will let you know if it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long shot, but try an online Premiere Pro Project Downgrader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work for projects in Premiere Pro 2022, sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the help, but nothing works. Does anyone have any other suggestion? Otherwise I'll be forced to start all over again which will cost me more than 10 hours of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any other suggestion?

By @Jan de Laat

I don't know if he is still doing it, but this user has repaired corrupted project files for other users:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/12528724

Try sending him a PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will message him

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello there1 I sadly have the same problem - did you find any solution in order to restore/repair a damaged premiere pro project. And also if you dont have any auto saves...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had zero luck with everything else and legit the only reason anything worked for me was because of a random auto-save with a bunch of numbers on the end. It was the only one of my 10 autosaves that worked for some reason. In my case, something got messed up with my video memory/NVidia driver and somehow a bunch of temp files pertaining to the project must have been deleted or moved or I don't know. None of it makes sense to me, but somehow 1 out 10 autosaves worked. I'm so sorry you don't have autosave though -- I went into full panic mode and I can't imagine what you've had to deal with. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here. 
things i tried:
- Auto save
- downgrade pr
- Clean import
- Hard reset pr (preferences etc)
- other pc (windows and mac)

- xlm wrench (error importing file)
- 7zip (crashed when clicking on edit file)

First time having this problem. i was using this project without any issue couple days ago. then i updated my Premiere Pro and my file just went damaged. any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a new Pr project and importing this sequence into the new project @Audrey BFP 

Keep us posted ok?

Hope you win.

Best

mj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines