Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fix Clips Rotated 90 Degrees

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Hoping someone has a suggestion - I received a bunch of footage from an event, and it looks like about 15-20% of the time the camera op hit record while the camera was sidways, and I've got about 30 clips that are turned 90 degrees.

I know how to use Master Clips to rotate, and if they were 180 degrees / upside down, no problem, but when I apply Transform to these and rotate 90 degrees, it rotates the image itself, but the clip retains the 9:16 aspect ratio, so now all I've got is a letterboxed vertical clip.  Not helpful.

Is there a workaround for this within Premiere?  Preferably without having to pull each clip into its own timeline?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Formats , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot change the content just the orientation.

If the camera is used in the wrong way that is just bad luck.

The car is filmed in landscape, but camera is held portrait, there is nothing you can do to make the content portrait.

Especially in a portrait sequence. If sequence was landscape you would not have any trouble.

If both landscape and portrait is used in the same sequence, somewhere along the line you will have black bars or super zoomed-in.

All you can do is zoom in to get rid of the black top and bottom but that will make the car super zoomed in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot is what the footage looks like after I apply a Mast Clip affect Transform, and rotate.   The footage rotates within the 9:16 frame, but the 9:16 frame doesn't change to 16:9.

These are not portrait shots.  He just hit record before turning the camera upright and getting his frame.  

So again, I'm looking for a way to rotate the footage.  I know I can pull it into a timeline and do it there, but I want the clips and thumbnail to reflect the change, so I'd rather do it prior to importing into a sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all needs to be horizontal (which was not clear to me) then make your sequence horizontal.

As of now its vertical.

Go into the settings and set it to custom and swap the height and width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no sequence - that is the source panel.  When I apply the rotation effect on the clip, it rotates the video within the 9:16 frame, but doesn't rotate the frame itself.

I know I can just pull the clips into a sequence to rotate, but as I mentioned in the original post and my last reply, I'd like to do it prior to that.  I want the thumbnails to be horizontal, and I'd like to be able to scrub through / log (watch, set in/out points, add markers, etc.) prior to pulling them into a timeline/sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of which way round the clips are filmed the software should be able to handle clips that are of different orientations as clients want horizontal and vertical videos from same session due to what Social Media and phones have done. If we deliberately film in horizontal some shots may still register in the camera horizontal due to the angle.  

I’ve only switched to Premier Pro from FCPX due to work and there are really dumb bugs in this app!!! I’ve got clips where I didn’t turn the camera vertically as the shot was horizontal but framed right for a V timeline. Last year I had similar jobs and could do this in FCPX no problem, it exported them all fine, but PP exports rotated 90º clips as compressed even if rendered green. The software should handle it. It’s pathetic that in 2024 that it can’t, especially as clients are making us do H/V videos from the same set of clips. Bring on Open Gate in all filming cameras, hopefully with square sensors to cover ever post filming idea that a client might randomly have!

It’s 2024, PP should be able to deal with this, edit, render and export clips without compression or other issues. For now I guess it’s remember turn it either to the H or V before pressing record so it registers the right was as the designers of the software are still stuck in 2010 and can’t or won’t change!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@philthehat,

The issue discussed in this thread is how to get a correct preview (Source Monitor view). PR does it correctly for some portrait situations (primarily those where portrait orientation was intended) and not others (for example, where a phone was held portrait when the shot started but then turned to landscape). PR can't know which way the shot was intended, and I think an option to interpret the shot differently would be good.

> PP exports rotated 90º clips as compressed even if rendered green

That's a different issue, and a more serious one to me. But I'm not sure I see how it could NOT re-render, and therefore recompress, depending on the specific situation. In any event, a new thread might help focus that discussion.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

fully appreiceate what the post is about, but was trying to see if there was a connection with my issue.   Just read the first reply which said that's tough, which seemed a ridiculous response.   I wondered if the two were connected as i've not had this issue in FCPX!

Spoke to antoher editor and my issue was to turn off Scale to Frame Size.  Simple, but odd and not immediately obvious.  Prem Pro should be able to rotate thumbnails and recognise the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

Totally get it. And I wanted to be sure we focused on the new bit.

Thanks for posting your solution! Scale/set to frame size has often created unanticipated results!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

it's probably why i couldn't find much about it online as regular PP users would know about that.  Probably an odd quirk.   So many want H/V from the shots that it all gets confusing.  The other thing i read on here which would help both of us is to start in the H or V position then press record, that way they'll all be the right way.

Cheers Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> start in the H or V position then press record, that way they'll all be the right way.

lol. So true. But even if we were perfect, there's all those client-shot videos to deal with!

I do believe staff are prioritizing today's format challenges, but it all competes for limited programming time.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No doubt!

One of the biggest challenges is competion from phone editing.  Having trained various pepole to use their phones to film and edit (part of what i do) the are so easy to use and almost drop and go.  I loved the magentic timeline on FCPX and most people still refer to it's 2012 version and if you look at lot of these phone apps use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "trick" to hide this problem that is used in many productions (e.g. when a news program wants to show smartphone footage filmed in portrait) is to add a layer behind your main footage and create a copy of the "bad" media there.  Right-click the top media and "Set to Frame Size" then scale up the bottom (copy) media so it fills the frame and add a Gaussian Blur effect to it with the Blurriness set very high (say 100).  This will "fill" the letterboxed (or pillarboxed in your case) black areas of the frame with diffuse color that roughly matches your footage so it won't appear as distracting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-iterating, these aren't "vertical" videos.  They are horizontal videos where the camera op accidentally hit record while holding the camera by his side, prior to lifting it up to get his frame.

So, again, I'm looking for a way to rotate them 90 (270) degrees.

I can pull them into a timeline, rotate, and they look fine.  I was just hoping to have the clips themselves (and their thumbnails) rotated in the media panels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I want to rotate them prior to pulling into a timeline.  I'd like them to appear horizontal in the media panels.

I could easily pull them into a timeline with all the other footage and just rotate them 90 degrees and they'd fit perfectly.  I was just hoping to rotate them first so that their thumnails would be 16:9, and I could scrub through them in the source monitor without tilting my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I want to rotate them prior to pulling into a timeline.  I'd like them to appear horizontal in the media panels.

By @Kenton5CB3

I mistakenly took the source monitor for the program monitor.

But anyway:

You cannot do this with Premiere, you need to change the orientation of the clips before bringing them into the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann.  I figured that might be the case, but thought I'd see if there was something I was missing.  Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding these screenshots here as the first one was from AFTER I'd tried using "Transform" to rotate it (notice the black letterboxing on top/bottom).   

The videos are all meant to be horizontal/16:9.  Again, the camera op just hit record while holding the camera sideways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you said, the transform effect is causing the problem as a Master Clip effect, so I wonder why you still using it there? I personally wouldn't care if the thumbnail is vertical in the project panel, after all I will use the clip in the right direction in the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not causing the problem, it's just not fixing it the way I'd like.

I'm not "still" using it there.  I used it once, it didn't work the way I wanted, so I came here to post and if there's another solutiion.

Again, I'm well aware that I could pull them all into a timeline and rotate them there.

For the reasons I've outlined, it would be nice to be able to rotate the clip properly to view horizontally in the media / source panels. 

I'm assuing you don't have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, really the transform effect as a Master Clip effect is causing the problem, because it can rotate the content only without rotating the canvas itself. Sadly, I don't have suggestions to accomplish what you need.
Personally, I use multiple timelines to arrange my clips and never get back to the project panel after importing all my footage, so I will rotate those that need rotation in one of the timelines that I create to organize the material, and use those later in the main edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your only options are to nest every clip or to render them out somehow with rotation applied. Unfortunately there are no interpret footage settings for rotation or orientation that I am aware of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was afraid of that, thanks.  Let the workarounds commence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kenton5CB3 and all,

I've followed several of these threads, with curiosity but little sympathy. Get 'em into the timeline and get 'em done. Who cares if the preview looks right? Well, obviously we all pick our workflows, and everything being easy, I would also rather see them correctly.

In any event, my curiosity has always led me to believe that there's a flag that PR should be looking at, and all that is needed is to change the flag.

And over time, I collected a few phone/go pro videos that I have examined for such a flag with MediaInfo. But any time I test them, PR gets it right. I have now learned that I just had not collected my best example of this problem. July 4 Ducky race, my phone is pointed at the ground in portrait orientation when I start recording, then I quickly switch to landscape. The recording, of course, is portrait. And PR gets it wrong. MediaInfo shows it is landscape pixels (3840x2160) with a Rotation: 90 degrees. PR gets it wrong because my phone was actually landscape but the flag said it was portrait.

Superuser.com suggested using exiftool. (Too much disagreement and distraction on complicated methods to post the link.) The magic is simply to reset the rotation flag to nothing:

exiftool -rotation=0 "C:\Users\[username]\Videos\[Filename].mp4"

exiftool is here:

https://exiftool.org/

Running that code creates a backup with an extension [filename].mp4_original. MediaInfo confirms there is no longer a rotation flag.

Open in PR, the video is landscape.

I do not know if this works with regular cameras.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines