• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDR export: HEVC/h265 - Include HDR10 metadata only available with software rendering?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to export an HDR sequence and when i select include HDR10 metadata so i can change color primaries to 2020 it automatically switches to software rendering. Is this not supported with gpu? I have a Nvidia 4090 gpu and Ryzen 5900x cpu.

hdr10.jpg

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. High 10 Profile, VBR 2-pass, and resolutions above 4k have not historically been supported with Hardware Encoding. (I say historically because I know there have been some updates to what codecs are supported on different hardware, so there may be some exceptions that I haven't kept track of.)  

I tend to recommend Software Encoding anyway, especially when it comes to a final render, complex renders, etc., as Hardware Encoding, though faster, tends to be more error-prone, prone to render glitches, etc. And usually when I get to the end of the project I don't need any extra pressure to QC things with a fine-tooth comb 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip is correct as far as he goes. I'll explain a bit more about the phrase "hardware" or "software" encoding on exports.

That phrase has nothing whatever to do with the use of the GPU, only whether or not hardware bits are involved from (typically) the CPU for long-GOP H.264/5 encoding.

And yea, it's very confusing to have two separate things referred to as software or hardare encoding.

But the use of the GPU is never mentioned in export settings, there ... this always refers to specialized chips on the computer to do the long-GOP encodes.

The GPU is used for frame resizing, so things like zooms and Warp get GPU use, as does color like the Lumetri color effects, and some other things on the GPU accelerated effects listing. You set GPU use on/off in the Project settings for Mercury Acceleration.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you exporting to H.264? HEVC?

If H.264, then Nvidia's NVENC supports only 8-bit SDR encoding in hardware no matter what. No NLE software can change that.

If HEVC, then Premiere Pro currently limits hardware encoding to 8- or 10-bit 4:2:0 SDR output via NVENC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines