Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help!!! Preparing Video for Amazon Prime Video Distribution

Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We created a 41 minute film using PP CC 2018 (the edit started in that version and we didn't "convert" it just to be safe) and now we're prepping the film for Amazon Prime Video distribution. There are a few obstacles in our way that I would love to know the best way of tackling.

1) They require the film be in ProRes 4444 or ProRes 422 (HQ) format. Sadly those options weren't available in CC 2018. Do I just open/convert the project in Premiere Pro 2020 so that the ProRes export options are available? What issues, if any, might this cause with the project?

2) The video is 3840 x 2160 (shot with Sony a9) at 23.976. They ask for it to be in the ITU-R BT.2020 color space. What's the best/easiest way to make this happen? I've read a few threads on this but nothing real clear, or at least no "change this setting to BT.2020 and you're good" type stuff.

3) They require Closed Captioning (.cap file)  What is the easiest way to get this done?

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll do my best here at least on the subjects that I'm at least somewhat familiar with and hopefully others can chime in as well.

As far as getting your film into pr422/4444, you can export another largely lossless format like DPX, or even a DNxHR444, and then using an updated version of Premiere or AME you can transcode that into ProRes. Otherwise if you wanted to try upgrading to a more recent version of Premiere (you could even try 2019), I believe it's recommended to delete your media cache/preview files and let those repopulate. As you are working in a larger project that may take some time, so take that into consideration.

As for CC, I don't think Premiere supports .cap files, so you'd need these created elsewhere. And the color thing, I can't say I've had that request in a deliverable before so I can't really comment on that. I did find this (and maybe you have already as well): https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/rec-2020-color-space/td-p/9157515?page=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I figured that might be the way to update the project and export to ProRes. 

As for the color space thing, that's more of a headache. Wish there was an easier way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the .cap requirement. But they do have a lot of requirements! What is your information source?

https://videodirect.amazon.com/home/help?topicId=G201979140&ref_=avd_sup_G201979140

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our distributor gave us a long sheet of spec requirements. I've screenshot the first two pages. There's more but this is the main stuff. As you can (hopefully) see Closed Captioning is required for all english content. The .cap format is just the preferred format so I might as well do that I figure. Screenshot (2).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) There is a method that works dramatically better to migrate projects forward, and it would be quick and easy for you to test.

• Install the new version (but of course, do not remove the previous versions!).
  • Create a new project file in the new version.
  • From that project, go to the Media browser in Premiere.
  • Navigate to and select the old version project file.
  • Right-click, and Import the contents of the previous version project file.

This does nothing to the older project file. You can then test the operation of the project in the new version. If everything works, great. If  not ... continue working in your previous version.

This could tell you in five minutes whether you can update the version and then export directly as requested.

2) I'm including a chart of the current 2020/2100 HDR export options ...

Neil

Encoding HDR in Pr & Me 20 Feb 2020.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil!

I do still have CC2018 just because of this project. I also have 2020 for newer stuff. So I'll try what you suggested.

As for the color space, thank you for that chart. They're asking for ProRes 422 (HQ) or 4444 in BT2020 color space, but this chart shows it as BT2100. Is that a possible issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't be, really ... 2100 is an 'updated' form of 2020 essentially, adding the ability to enclose both PQ and HLG from 1080 to "UHD 8K". I think their list may be simply a bit dated.

But always ask first!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call. We did receive this spec sheet last fall so maybe they have a new one now. I appreciate the feedback and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My favorite free caption tool (SubtitleEdit) can export a .cap file (cheetah type), but it won't import one. And it is not a text readable file. There is another .cap (Lamba) but I don't even know which one they are looking for. There are an amazing number of caption types and file types.

And Amazon (link I gave before) in their sample files, does not include a .cap example.

So, sorry; no help from me.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DMH,

1. Easiest way? ProRes 4444 has been available on macOS for years. Export from a Mac. 

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kevin,

Does that get past the Bt.2020/2100 issue? It might as that is an older standard ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines