Help with color problem in Premier Pro

Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola
What is happening to my video colors?
Please take a look at the picture and help me resolve this issue

Videos looks fine BEFORE I exported to Premier Pro, then when I'm look to pick what part of the video to keep, they looks like this.

video.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?
Im new using this program so it's frustrating the learning curve ... so please be nice 🙂
I appreciate your time and help.
Hope you understand my question.
Premier Pro 24.1 Mac
Gracias!

By the way, I don't know the name of "that" window if it has one 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all has to do with color management.

Tone mapping in Premiere Pro

Color management in Premiere Pro

The name of a window/panel is always in the left top corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann's correct. It's a simple color management thing.

You have phone clips that are in HLG, a form of HDR. And apparently used on an SDR/Rec.709 sequence.

So ... the Color Workspace/Lumetri panel/Settings tab is where ALL CM stuff 'sits' these days.

Make sure that Display Color Managment is on, as is auto log detect and auto tonemap.

Check the Sequence CM, should be set to Rec.709/SDR. Monitor should be set for Rec.709 also.

And use presets that do not have HLG or PQ in the preset name. This way you get SDR/Rec.709 presets.

As for your display gamma settings in the CM ... if you're on a Mac, that's ... tougher. Because Apple uses a non-standard display transform for Rec.709 video unless you are using a newer Mac with 'reference modes" for the monitor, and set it to 'HDTV' ... which will get straight and correct Rec.709 displaying on the monitor.

For most current Macs, you don't have that. So your monitor will normally be set to use the equivalent to gamma 1.96 in QuickTime Player, Chrome, and Safari. But in VLC, which does not allow Apple to control the display, you'll see gamma 2.4. The "normally expected" Rec.709 display transform.

Gamma 1.96 applied as a display transform lightens the shadows considerably. So if you set the Premiere monitor/display gamma to QuickTime 1.96, the exported file in QT player, Chrome, and Safari, will be similar to what you see in Premiere. Some Mac users only care about other Mac viewing, so ... if that floats your boat, go for it.

Some use the broadcast display 2.4 setting because ... well, it looks correct on correctly setup systems, and basically nearly all non-Mac screens. And let it be what it is on Mac screens.

Some use the "web gamma 2.2" setting, as it's kinda in-between in visual appearance, not as far off on either as the other two options.

Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola
I got this from the properties of the video, maybe you can "see" something that I don't understand.

"File Path: /Users/danielramirez/Documents/JND Productions/Mega Auto Tint/20240109_122938.mp4
Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 528.76 MB
Image Size: 2336 x 1080
Frame Rate: 29.99
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - Compressed - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:02:26:16
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Color Space: Rec. 2100 PQ
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None
Video Codec Type: HEVC 10 bit 4:2:0
Variable Frame Rate Detected"

Thanks again for your time and help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inrteresting, as that's an HDR clip but in PQ color space.

Again, set the auto detect log on, auto tonemap on, work in SDR/Rec709 sequence and exports. Should be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Inrteresting, as that's an HDR clip but in PQ color space.

Again, set the auto detect log on, auto tonemap on, work in SDR/Rec709 sequence and exports. Should be fine.

By @R Neil Haugen

"set the auto detect log on, auto tonemap on"

How can I do that?
Please, excuse my ignorance, is this done in the sequence or in Preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines