• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get rid of a shadow on a person's neck?

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talking-head video, in front of greenscreen.  There's a dark shadow on the person's neck (really, the larnyx) that I need to get rid of.  Person doesn't move too much, but talks for 20 minutes.

Gaussian blur (with track matte) didn't look good enough.  

Other solutions?  Is it possible to replace the shadow area with skin tone from another part of the face?  If so, how?

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can probably do the track matte and then into curves ( hue vs. hue, hue vs. saturation, or hue vs. luminance ) and take the curse off it...it's not changing the color so much as changing the tone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry -- I'm not understanding what you mean.  At all.

I'm no dummy ... just feeling like one.

Can you (or someone) walk me through slowly, step by step, exactly how to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of stuff on YouTube for this...  one to get you started:

https://youtu.be/_QZBkm4ZzgU?t=97

Basically, track the error that is objectional, and use the color correction applied to only inside the masked area to correct the color of the offending area to match more to what you want.

(advertising @getlickd) Sign-up now using https://go.lickd.co/cinecom and receive 60 days free access - Learn how to work with masks in this Adobe Premiere Pro tutorial to create things like color grading, super hero landing, floating effects and more. More VFX tutorials in Premiere ► ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you own BorisFX you can also use a mesh track and a clean plates to replace the shadow if the track matt color correction doesn't work for you.

Boris FX Mocha 2022 - New Insert Module with PowerMesh Tracking - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to "steal" some skin from the part of the face that doesn't have the shadow on it, and place it into the mask I've created over the shadow?  That would look better than color correction or gaussian blur.

I'm thinking there's a way to do this -- using the eyedropper tool or something like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the point everyone is trying to make is there is many ways to solve this.   You can use a clone effect, but its not built into premier.  I use BorisFX Continuum which has many tools in it, one of them is a clone, and you can track from where to clone to the new location.   

The offer of a mask track and color correction is very viable, and the tools are built into prem pro.  If you want to use the other toosl, you have buy something.  Or you could do the trailer park way and make a PNG file that fits the area built from a screen grab, and manual morph it to fit as the neck moves and feather the edges enough so you cant notice.

My option, if you want the best job grab BorisFX, use the Mesh Track, and create a clean plate and use the insert module to insert and replace over the objectional area with the clean plate (or more than one of needed).  This would just require you to export a clean plate to be edited in Photo shop, and then brought back in to render withint he insert module.  BorisFC even has some built in options that allow you to manage the lighting changes over frames.

Second best way is to is clone tool within Boris, and track.

Third best way,  buy Boris Effects Silhouette and create the brush strokes to auto paint onto every frame (this could be better results than the mesh track, but listed as third because its more complex for most)

Forth way, because its free and will likly work relly good, track a matt and color correct, use the eye dropper etc.  This should produce very good results with not much skills required in terms of new tools and techniques.

What your asking for, there is no easy button, there is only the realativly easier button.  And depending on your skills, experiance and how picky you are each of these tools and methodes may be suitable.

Another simple (but pay for use tool) that may help you check out this video also:

Reduce Blemishes and Even Out Skin Tone with Beauty Studio for Adobe - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you want to try the lum col + mask here is a decently done video explaining it.  You just have to adapt it to not the entire face, just the shadow path area and it might be enough:

FIX DARK FACE in Premiere Pro (Mask Tracking Tutorial) - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines