• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I move multiple text elements at once? (Master Style does NOT affect position)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have dozens of text items that I would like to reposition with one command rather than moving each individually. Is that possible?

Using the Master Style tool I can adjust their color and fontof all text items simultaneously, but somehow Master Style does not include any text alignment parameters. Intuitively, you would expect that you could select all text items and then just go to the Effects panel to transform them as you'd do for a single text item. Sadly, that feature isn't implemented.

These text items are burned-in Closed Captions that I created manually because the editing of built-in Closed Captions is a mess, but now I'm seeing that the text tool might be limited too. Please help, thank you!

EDITED 5/21: for clarity

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a graphic presentation, with text and shapes or whatnot where you need, with the fonts/fontsizes and spacing and such. Then save as a mogrt (export as motion graphic template). And then simply drag/drop from the EGP browse window to your timeline to have a graphic with text places in the appropriate locations, and if you chose, animeted in/out.

As to "dozens of itmes I need to move at once" ... I haven't a clue what you mean by that. A bit of explanation would help, as would perhaps a screen-grab drag/dropped onto your reply box.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil!

I'll check out the template approach for the next time I do something like this.

Sorry, the phrasing of my post wasn't clear: I have dozens of text items (perhaps 150?) that I would like to move en masse. Individually altering their Transform properties isn't feasible and I was hoping there was some way to change them all at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "built in Closed Captions" I assume you mean the Captioning Tool (as in the Captions Panel, etc). How are you planning to use the Closed Captions? As burned in captions/subtitles? Or embedded in a video file where the viewer can turn them on and off?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are burned-in captions that also happen to require some graphical touches that Open Type closed captions don't allow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've solved this problem, but I had tried this before with no luck.

I copied one item that was in the correct location and used Paste Attributes to apply the transform to other items. Weirdly there is a ~13px discrepancy between the original items and those that I pasted the attributes to. I believe that some discrepancy in the Essential Graphics setting isn't being propogated to the other text items that I'm pasting attributes to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that there are two sets of Position parameters, one for the .mogrt and one for the actual generator itself. 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did we ever figured how to complete this ? I need the information 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

TS already found the way. You just need to make 1 correct position and then copy it. Select all text that you want to correct and right click - paste attributes - check Motion box. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines