• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you change sequence settings in Premiere Pro CS6, and earlier?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to change a sequences settings once you've set up the sequence?

In Sequence Settings everything is grayed out so I can't change it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 18, 2011 Aug 18, 2011

In that case, no.

But you can create a new one with the desired settings and Copy/Paste clips into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2012 Sep 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work on nested sequences.

You have to go back to the original sequence but then its just as easy to drag a clip into the New Item icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens wrote:

It does not work on nested sequences.

You have to go back to the original sequence but then its just as easy to drag a clip into the New Item icon.

That is not what I asked. In fact that is the reverse of what I asked.

I went to an original sequence, the one where the raw unedited footage was. I cut out all footage. Saved and then attempted to change the sequence settings. They were still grayed out.

That "footage" sequence is used in numerous places in other sequences. Is this the reason I could not change the settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your workflow and could change the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using cs6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am a Creative Cloud subscriber.

Ann Bens wrote:

I tried your workflow and could change the settings.

So you had raw footage (RF) that you put on a sequence (A) that you put on a sequence (B). You then cut the footage from the sequence (A) and saved, then changed the sequence (A) settings?

Sequence (B)

^--Sequence (A)

^--Raw Footage (RF)

If you did and it worked then either I am doing something wrong, and that is more than likely, or there is something else that affects the ability to change the sequence settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well nevermind then.  I was thinking maybe it wasn't showing up because you weren't using cs6 but clearly that was incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only calls up that dialog the first time you add something that doesn't match (and only in CS6).

(This is yet another distinction that makes CS6 sufficiently different to warrant it's own forum separate from older versions.  Hint, hint mods.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the problem is then I have to change each individual piece of the offending sequence in my final timeline to the new sequence. I need to be able to change a sequence setting on the fly. This would help when Adobe and the cameras I use decide to have a moment of stupidness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the closest workflow would be to create a New Sequence, and set Custom parameters, if a complete Preset does not exist, then Copy/Paste from the offending Sequence, into the new one.

Perhaps time for a Feature Request?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bill

How does that help. I have already used the footage in a sequence that I have placed in another sequence and edited the footage.

I had raw footage (RF) that I put on a sequence (A) then I placed that on a new sequence (B). I then edited the footage (sequence (A)) in sequence (B).

Sequence (B) - edited for content here

^--Sequence (A)

^--Raw Footage (RF)

I dont know if this is the best method of doing things but I figure it will allow me to put effects and stuff on the whole edited sequence after I am done editing without having to do it for each bit. This is a project that is around 30 minutes in length of footage. I am trying to trim down to a 5 minute presentation and I do need to also create a DVD of the full 30 minutes.

A feature request would be for Adobe to make any and all AVCHD footage recognized properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro does see it properly.  The footage actually is interlaced.

The better solution is for camera makers to stop using PsF and only record true progressive footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Premiere Pro does see it properly.  The footage actually is interlaced.

The better solution is for camera makers to stop using PsF and only record true progressive footage.

The footage is not true interlaced either, as the two "fields" in each frame are identical.

If you treat PsF as interlaced then the image is softened by the de-interlacing.  You also run into problems with Mercalli, which regards the footage as progressive even when the sequence is interlaced. 

You also have problems with exporting Blu-ray legal files for Encore.  Blu-ray legal 25i exports from a Premiere 25 fps interlaced sequence with PsF files are re-encoded, but 24p are accepted. The same export from a 25p sequence with the edited files copied into it from the 25i sequence on which they were edited is accepted as 25i or 24p.

There are also problems with a squeeze PinP effect, according to Carl Soule, if you edit these PsF files in an interlaced sequence.

Certainly it would be better if cameras were made to record true progressive, though I do not know where that would leave HDV tape cameras like the Sony V1E, which records 25p as interlaced, with both fields identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The footage is not true interlaced either, as the two "fields" in each frame are identical.

I'm not sure that part is relevant.  The footage contains two fields, therefore it's interlaced.  How is any software supposed to know that the fields were recorded from the same moment in time?  That's why you have to tell PP to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a custom sequence and save preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines