• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create equivalent of a clipping mask?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in Premiere I want to do the same thing as creating a clipping mask in Photoshop. I'm fine with doing this in Premiere, or After Effects if there is a solution there.

(Everything is explained better with pictures below, but) On one layer, I have a video animation clip with a transparent background, with an opaque dark-grey animation of my character's shirt.

I want to put another layer above that layer with a texture, which takes up the whole screen. But make it so the texture only shows up where the shirt is below it.

Image 1, below: In black is my lineart. Ignore that. In dark grey, the shirt is on a separate layer with a transparent background.

Image 2, below: In between my black lineart layer on top, and my grey shirt layer on bottom, I put this texture layer which covers the whole screen.

Image 3, below: Here's what I want to happen. What I want it to look like. So the texture is masked to exactly where the pixels on the shirt layer are, as the shirt moves.

Please help me figure out how to do this! Thank you so much!!!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Update: I figured out how to do it in After Effects, by using a track matte and alpha, but is there a way to do this in Premiere? I would rather do it there. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I figured out how to do it in After Effects, by using a track matte and alpha, but is there a way to do this in Premiere? I would rather do it there. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kerielle

Nice work on figuring out the technique in AE. Thats by far the best tool for your needs.

In PrP, you can use the track matte effect on the layer you want to use as a cutout. Apply the edffect and choose the layer you want to use as fill and then choose whether you want to use the luminace (brightness) values or a alpha channel as the key.

See the attached screen grab

Hope this helps,

Steve

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 6.18.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will give it a try and see if it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it didn't work for me: If I set it to Alpha, nothing happened, but if I did luma, it turned out all weird and bright like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does your image have an alpha channel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines