• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create multiple subtitle tracks (for when multiple people are talking over each other)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm looking to create multiple subtitle lines, for when people talk over each other. This doesn't seem to be possible, as you are only allowed to have one subtitle track visible. I've found some really weird work arounds, but I want to ask the community to see if I'm missing something obvious.

Here is an example of exactually what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCEWmatIvk

I'm aware I could do this manually, but I was hopping to take advantage of the automated caption generation to save myself lots of time.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Perfect thank you!

I looked up the "Upgrade Captions" option and found a video for it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLASNHNey8E

for anyone looking at this, make sure you are updated to the latest version as this is a pretty recent feature added to Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what adobe app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premier Pro, latest version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Liam Bryant 

sure.  (now that your message is in the premiere pro forum, let's hope an expert here responds to the actual issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Liam,

You are correct, you can't do it without workarounds. Whether it will be easier in the future depends on whether you can separate the speakers into different soundtracks.

There's a feature request for this type of captioning function that was just moved over from the older UserVoice site. Be sure to chime in there.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/multiple-caption-tracks-visible-for-accessibility/...

If each speaker is on their own audio, place each in its own sequence, transcribe and create captions. Then turn off the video in that sequence, and nest it in the main sequence. Each nested sequence will show its captions. You can keep the main caption stream in the main sequence.

For any captions in a nested sequence, edit them in the original sequence. And you can apply a different caption track style to each track.

Note that with 23.1, you can also Upgrade Captions to Graphics and animate them in the regular timeline like video items. You can put each speaker in a different video track to make modifying them easier.

If you don't have different speakers in their own audio track, you can transcribe it using the identify speakers option, create captions, then move individual captions into a separate caption track. Create a new track (that will be empty). You can drag one or more captions into it. When you Upgrade Captions to Graphics, they should go into different video tracks based on the caption track.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect thank you!

I looked up the "Upgrade Captions" option and found a video for it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLASNHNey8E

for anyone looking at this, make sure you are updated to the latest version as this is a pretty recent feature added to Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines