• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get correct creation date to show correctly in premiere pro for clips?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get premiere pro to show the correct date created metadata on clips? Its showing me the creation date is june 14th when the metadata in my finder shows that its February 1st.

I tried replacing footage. Reimporting media,, and relinking footage and none of these methods fixed premiere pro showing the correct date created metadata.

June 14th is the date modified date, but its showing as the creation date in premiere.  How do you make it so that the creation date metadata displays the creation data metadata and not the date modified metadata? thanks.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photos attatched for reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard the engineers talk about this. As that information you're having issue with will vary by camera/device or program creating the media.

Why? Because different makers use one of the four or five different Date/Time fields as their "creation" field. So the devs use the one that originally was meant to be used for the actual creation date, and sometimes the camera/device/maker use that and you get the 'right' date/time from those image makers.

It would be nice if we could reset that date easier. There are two main ways of 'fixing' this, one uses Bridge to manually change the field contents for Date so that they show correctly in Premiere. The other is to use the Metadata workspace in Premiere to do the same thing.

In a lot of professional workflows, after the DIT or DP has passed the files on, renaming is a huge no-no. So this sort of thing needs to be hashed out before you start shooting if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Default etc.,

Previous discussion.

This is seems like poor implementatin of basic functionality that comes up with users again and again.

" different makers use one of the four or five different Date/Time fields as their "creation" field"

If this is, indeed, the problem it seems that an obvious way to address it is have an import setting, user changable, that points to a selectable metadata source as "creation date." The metadata implementation is pretty clumsy as is, this would be a small improvement.

Neil, I'm curous how you would use the Metadata workspace (by which you mean the metadata panel? or the metadata dialog?) to address this.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the road ... I can't make a screengrab of course. But in the Metadata workspace, you do have access to nearly all the metadata fields. That's where you should be working for controlling the meta for your media. My recollection is you can mod about any field.

The difference between how systems, apps, and devices use fields is truly maddening. I do thoroughly understand the frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only time I see correct creation date in Premiere is from my Iphone and my GoPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you get premiere pro to show the correct date created metadata on clips?

By @defaultu3ajxdwzt0xo

I see similar issues with Apple ProRes files created by Premiere Pro, inside Premiere Pro and in Windows Explorer.

Bug report: Wrong date in Explorer when exporting ProRes - Adobe Community - 14697036

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really a Windows issue. Each file has a bunch of date fields, I remove the 'Date' field from Windows Explorer and use the Date Modified field, which give 'correct' info. Right-click the field name bar and select "More" and type quick 'Date' and you will see all the available date fields. Like I said, I use Date Modified.

MyerPj_0-1719088443050.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here I've added the Date and Date Created field, and you see the difference to Date Modified

MyerPj_1-1719088682619.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How do you get premiere pro to show the correct date created"

?

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you know the answer?"

The original question seems to be after metadata which accurately presents when camera media was actually created, and specifically about how to access this in Premiere Pro (for unstated workflow reasons). They outline a specific problem where date modified seems to be displayed rather than date created (again without detail, but presumably in the "creation date" metadata field).

One answer (from Neil) seems to be that different camera manufacturers use different conventions for recording this metadata, and that while this metadata exits, there is no simple way in Premiere Pro to efficiently, consistently present this info to users in one place (one metadata field). (This answer doesn't seem to account for the date discrepancy that the OP is reporting).

Another answer (from Matt Christensen, link below in the examples) addresses what is actually displayed in the "creation date" metadata field. (This answer would not account for the 4 month discrepancy reported by OP).

Premiere Pro project metadata actually includes no date fields for clips (or sequences). Of the additional schemes available to display, there are 18 date fields available:

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 6.50.19 PM.png

Neil seems to be suggesting that creating date info may appear in some of these fields for some cameras (but I'm not sure if that is what he's saying). Alternately, he might be suggesting there is a way to add metadata fields here which will, in fact, populate with date info from camera (but, again, I'm not sure).

There may be ways to address the workflow needs of the original poster via other means. That may have been the direction you were moving with your posts (but it isn't clear). Without knowing the workflow needs of the original poster, it's difficult to say. But it is not a question without precedent. One example. Another. (Second link goes into some detail about the "creation date" metadata field, and the usefulness of having dates on sequences, but mostly ends in a shrug.)

In short, there seems to be no clear way for the user to get what they have asked about.

And this question seems to come up with some regularity.

(Finally, we should probably take a moment to note how unhelpful Adobe documentation is on this question.)

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, it's a convuluted mess if you actually get down into it.

As noted in this thread, there are quite a number of "date/time" fields in various schemas. Partly because there are many metadata schemas out there. Each has several date/time fields available, and they may have similar names but different ... implications? ... in different schemas.

And Windows OS, for most versions, may use a different one of them if it has something in it, than Macs may do. I've had some explanations that included the differences in prioritization of date fields between Mac & PC OS settings.

Some cameras use one basic schema, some a modified version or another one for certain fields. This only adds to the morass.

"We" users expect that something that SEEMS SO FRICKIN' SIMPLE ... would just be identical across everything. That instead we get the morass this is, well ... yea, that's a real big pain.

And is part of the reason that some of the DITs I know of talk of the required processing for many of their gigs, where the DIT gets the cards from the cameras, and immediately renames them with data for camera/date/time/shot as he's duplicating them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines