Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove glass reflections from a video

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.JPG

Basically, I want to remove the glass reflections from the footage that I shot from the helicopter. Can anyone please help me out here? I know masking wont come to the rescue in this case. I have searched online but couldn't find anything remotely to resolve this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's something you can fix in post, which is why most productions film from outside the aircraft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim Simon​, @dave merchant and @Ann Bens for the quick response. Filming from outside the heli was not possible owing to high altitude conditions. I tried to hold my camera close to the glass as long as possible but owing to the high altitude and windy conditions, some footage had these reflections. Anyways, thank you folks for clearing my doubts.

Have a great day everyone!!

Thanks,

Rajesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filming from outside the heli was not possible owing to high altitude conditions.

Heligimbal - Wikipedia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim for the advice. Will keep it in mind.

Regards,

Rajesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rajeshadam007  wrote

I tried to hold my camera close to the glass as long as possible but owing to the high altitude and windy conditions, some footage had these reflections.

No doubt too late, but if you're doing this again and can't fly with the door open, then you need to make a snood.

The significant reflections only happen because there is light hitting the inside face of the window, so you gaffer tape something loose and black over the window (blanket, t-shirt, peeled mountain goat, other animals are available) and make a little hole in the middle to put the lens hood through. You have freedom to move away from the glass - within reason - and while It won't prevent distortion from scratches and rain on the plexi, it's less likely to cause pilot angst than arriving with a hole saw.

I always have a large black $5 t-shirt in my camera bag, it's invaluable for everything from flags and nun's knickers to washing windows and re-costuming that guy who always turns up to an interview with a logo on his chest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave for the invaluable suggestions. I will definitely keep these things handy next time round. Its time for me to get back to editing the video.

Thanks Again,

Rajesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was a still image, you could spend half an hour clone-stamping every pixel affected by a reflection.

If it's a video, you either do the same, frame by frame, or accept it's impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is impossible.

If filming through glass when possible hold lens flat against glass to avoid reflection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. I recently found an article about glass reflections in videos that helped me a lot. It has a ton of tips on how to fix it and how to avoid this problem in the future.

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines