HUGE performance and lag issues with Premiere 2022

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me I'm not alone in that, recently, Premiere Pro 2022 has been riddled with massive lag spikes, timeline studder, delays, crashes, and general performance related bugs and issues when performing even the most basic tasks and scrubbing through media it should not otherwise have any issue with.

Since updating, I have been plagued with HUGE timeline studder and just general laggy-ness that makes Premiere nearly unusable as a commercial film editor and is significantly interrupting and delaying my workflow to the point I've had to consider migrating to Avid or Davinci temporarily for client projects. HUGE disappointment and need these issues fixed immediately. This is especially disappointing considering I'm on a brand new setup.

System: Mac Pro (2019), 3.2 Ghz 16-Core Intel Xeon W, 96GB Mhz 2933 DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro W6800x 32GB + Apple ProRes Afterburner Card

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check your gpu render settings. sometimes it resets to software mode.

also try changing the playback quality to Full.

delete media cache

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adding to what chris suggested:

what kind of footage are you working with?

is the lagging on playback, export, or both?

can you tell us more about your workflow? are you playing back from an external drive?

refer to this thread, very important:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-beta-discussions/feature-focus-afterburner-prores-hardwa...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris & Carlos–

Thanks for the quick responses. Wow, well somehow I didn't even know the Afterburner card wasn't even supported by Premiere until now. That's lovely to know... 

But I have run the basic troubleshooting steps that Premiere normally needs every now and again (inlcuding clearing media cache, restarting, resetting preferences to default, rebooting computer etc.) and I've seen the whole trick about changing playback quality and also removing Lumetri effects to see if it improves performance– but NONE of these 'fixes' have worked.

The performance issues and lag seem to be isolated to playback, scrubbing, and anything in-timeline, NOT rendering at export (although for some reason rendering effects like warp stabilizer also seem to suffer from these performance issues). The issue isn't the footage, I'm sure of it, because I've tested everything from shotty HD footage from a Canon camera, ranging to Alexa Mini, LF, R3D, and 6k Sony Venice footage. And they ALL seem to struggle the same– the 1920x1080 HD footage struggles just as much as 6k. I am also largely playing back from a 36 TB HDD OWC Mecury Elite Pro Dual-Drive RAID Dock with 773 Mb/s advertised speeds, but the issue still persists after trying to migrate the footage and the project locally onto the Mac's HDD and also perssists after trying to an external SSD.

Any more guidance on settings or known performance issues or anything else you guys can provide would be huge. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following back up here again but the issue definitely seems to be isolated to Lumetri presets and just the effects put on clips in general... this is not a hardware problem either– I'm sure of it. Anybody have any guidance on this or am I just meant to wait until the next Premiere update?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been experiencing lags too! I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing but pretty much any basic task (like you said) starts to make Premiere glitch out and lag, especially when opening any of the above panels like effects, audio or graphics. It's been pretty much unusable for about a month, for me at least. I hope it can be fixed soon, I talked to customer care today and none of their tips worked. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One other thing to try, is in the Audio hardware preferences, set default input to None ... for some reason, that helps some users with playback issues.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try pre-rendering to DnxHd. one person reported higher than normal CPU spikes with Prores. does simply adding a lumetri effect slow it down or only when adding a preset? can you convert it to a lut?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines