• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone 11 Pro (X, Xs) 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone 11 Pro 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Here is the issue:

The issue is that Adobe Premiere will never play the full clip if you try to move around the timeline. It will always revert back to the beginning of the clip and glitch out. It imports no issus, but playing on the timeline is wrong and glitched, even saving a project with the file in it crashes Adobe quite often. The codec is Apple's H265 which is the ONLY codec you can use to shoot 4K 60FPS. This means I have to run all footage through handbrake to even begin to use it in Premiere, this has been an issue for years. I just wish this response from their twitter was more than damage control and them actually having a solution.

This is where Adobe says this is not working as intended: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187219976249368576?s=20

This is the example video of it messing up: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187408078741868545?s=20

And this is the reply I got back from customer support saying it doesn't happen for them, which I find highly unlikely:

Thanks for sharing the file! I have downloaded it and I'm going to share it with the engineering team for testing. I'll update you as soon as I hear from them. ^Shivangi
Oct 24, 2019, 5:34 PM
Thank you.
Oct 24, 2019, 5:35 PM

Thank you for remaining so positive and calm while our experts is working on it. ^Shailesh
Oct 24, 2019, 5:40 PM

Hi Tristan. sorry for the delay in response. We're unable to reproduce the issue at our end even with the sample file you shared. Would you mind contacting our phone/chat support team? We'll need to troubleshoot the issue further by hopping on to a remote session. Here's the link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html Let us know. ^Shivangi

--------
So yeah... any fixes in the pipeline?

-----UPDATE from Twitter Support-----
2019-11-01 17_38_09-Window.jpg

-----------------UPDATE with Adobe 2020------------

a rep on Twitter who tried it on Mac and Mac it seems to be fine, because it is Apple's codec afterall wrapping the H.265. 

2019-11-10 18_53_44-Window.jpg

However on the PC side of things, you cannot play nor edit HEVC from an iPhone on a PC in Premiere without the issue shown above. Nor can you export or render without the issue above or a crash. Nor can you save a file without a crash 9/10 times. 

Adobe 2020 on a PC:

Example 1: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193680897087885312

Example 2: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193684072171741189

UPDATE 11/18/2019:

2019-11-18 18_12_02-Adobe Customer Care on Twitter_ _@tristanpope Hi Tristan, please file a bug so w.jpg

Support on twitter confirmed this as a bug not just a performance issue. I have sent them a file to work with via their twitter chat for testing.

I have gone ahead and filed a bug and pointed it to this thread as rewritting all of this would be impossible in the new format as requested as well: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39063853-bug-report-iphone-...

UPDATE 12/13/2019:

I went on a bit of a rant on twitter. Cause twitter and this not being at least acknowledges as a bug and how it has been dealt with is so unprofessional.

I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

A mac user contacted me about having the same issue.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

2019-12-13 10_33_40-Anne Levasseur on Twitter_ _@tristanpope @AdobeCare Thanks a lot for your answer.jpg

Adobe seems to forget that filmmaking is also journalist and majority of journalists use mobile these days.

I cannot replicate that issue on an old Macbook running a VERY slow Intel processor from 2013, which according to Kevin should be my issue on the faster intel processor listed below in my spec list...

2019-12-13 10_44_12-I am having exacly the same problem with video fro... - Page 3 - Adobe Support C.jpg

but as you can see on the macbook with a much slower processor from intel... no issues just a little laggy: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204218684341997578

What I would like to see is someone who has a mac with both Windows and MacOS on it and can bootcamp into windows to test a premiere timeline then ON the SAME machine do it on the MacOS side of things. I bet you on the Bootcamp side you will get the stutter and on the Mac side you will not. But I am not going to do all the work for Adobe here. Stupid I had to do this much research when they have an example file that doesn't work already sent by me.

UPDATED VIDEO on how to work with this footage until ADOBE decides to care about it's paying SERVICE, Davinci Resolve on the same computer loaded at the same time, running the footage without a hitch:

https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204999383378477056

Best part is this is free software for most, and a one time purcahse if you need the extra features. But our payed for every month software giant can't seem to handle it and the excuses are just piling on rather than just admitting to the bug and giving us an ETA on when it will be fixed.

So that's it folks, this is where we are at. Davinci Resolve or Handbrake until Adobe get's a clue.

STATUS UPDATE JAN 8 2020:

Still not working or fixed.

Tested on multiple computers. These are some of their specs:

First rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR RUSH Chassis with Tempered Glass Sides, Brushed Black Aluminum

**Motherboard:** ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99

**Processor:** Intel® CoreT i7 6900X 8-core 3.0GHz/3.5GHz Turbo 20MB L3 Cache w/ HyperThreading (16 Threads) OC to 4.2GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 32GB HyperX® FURYT DDR4- 2666 (4x8GB) [QUAD Channel]

**Graphics Card:** Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition

**Power Supply:** 860 Watt Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum

**Operating System Drive:** [M.2 NVME SSD] 512GB Samsung® 950 Pro [2,500MB/s Sequential Reads]
**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 1 gig samsung ssd

Second Rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte White

**Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX

**Processor:** AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)

**Graphics Card:** NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply:** EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM

**Operating System Drive:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Three:** 1TB Samsung SSD

**Hard Drive Bay Four:** 2TB HHD WD Scratch Disk for Cloud Services

**Operating System:** Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Third Rig:
**Chassis: MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte Black 

**Motherboard: MSI Pro Carbon AC ATX

**Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)

**Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR Epic 240 

**Memory: 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB) 

**Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply: BeQuiet 850W Gold

**Operating System Drive: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**M.2 NVMe SSD: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit, OEM 

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Were you using a new project from scratch or existing ones? The fix (shipped in 14.2) requires deleting the media cache if using previously existing projects. I'm guessing you might have already tried this, but wanted to make sure. (Filing a new bug now and trying to isolate as much as possible.)

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proxies might be your best bet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we are aware proxies and handbrake work. The problem is that those are
needed when adobe claims it isn’t and shouldn’t be a problem. Check OP for more info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know any NLE that edits H.265 flawless?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davinci Resolve

There is a difference between hiccups, latency, and just not working.

See example here or in OP:

https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204999383378477056

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Right!

I do not do twitter: think its horrible.

Gather you have never shared a clip here on the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am actually surprised this issue is not being reported by more people. It is definitely something that should be looked at by Adobe as soon as possible knowing how popular iphones are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there are not that many people that have your issue. Might very well be system related.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by system related? The issue is not appearing on Mac OS, my guess is that all windows 10 machines are affected in which case the number of users is quite subsantial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guli,

It's definitely not happening on all systems. According to some of the troubleshooting I've done, it only occurs on certain Windows computers with certain CPUs and/or GPUs. We have a bug filed and are working on it right now.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, what CPUS and GPUS have you determined are having issues with Adobe and this codec? Because from my experience it is indeed happening on all systems that are not Apple regardless of GPU or CPU. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to hearing about you soon.

Would be interesting to know which configuration are causing this issue. As you can see Tristan has tested quite a few (ref. orginal post) and my configuration (ref. above) is also causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, I would very much implor you to read the first post, this is why I keep saying refer to OP which stands for ORIGINAL POST. You are saying things and assuming things I have addressed already multiple times and debugged already. This is not system related. This is a wide spread issue PC related for many people. It pains me that I have to keep arguing this fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tristan,

We do have a bug filed. Rest assured, we in support are doing the max in advocating for a fix. Sorry it is taking so long.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, look forward to updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Could you give us a status on the issue? It has now been more than 3 months since the issue was first reported by Tristan.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As was expected there is no answer because they truly are taking zero responsibility for this issue. They refuse to admit it is a bug and their PR stance on it is to say "We are looking into it". This has been an issue for over 3 years with the HEVC apple codec wrapper. I doubt they will fix it anytime soon. Nor do they care. It's a lot of nose up in the air "use a real camera" or "use proxies" talk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I wanted to share my experience in case this sheds any light onto any of this - though it's still an issue ultimately 🙂 

Computer Specs

intel i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz | 16gb ram | windows 10 home | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

So I first noticed this on a project back in November (this year) and the footage was so terribly jumpy and it was so last minute that I was unable to use it entirely, which is insane.

Now, I have a new project and the footage I was given was both

1) interview footage 25fps on "regular (sony) " camera, mp4 files, 3840x2160

2) iphone footage shot at 60fps (he says) but when I look at the details in file explorer I see 29.98 fps and 1920x1080

So here's the thing -

a) when I create a sequence using the sony files, and then place the iphone footage into that sequence, whether I convert in handbrake or not, it's jerky

b) BUT when I create a sequence using the iphone files, the original iphone file is not bad, and the handbrake version is maybe slightly better. BUT then when I insert the sony footage into the iphone created sequence, the sony footage just doesn't look as awesome as it did in the sony sequence. 

Of course, what I'm going to have to do is to create my sequence based on the handbrake version (since it is slightly better than the original iphone version) and then import my sony interviews into that sequence, it's just a shame, because then they don't look as great as they should. 

I should say, that typically when I edit, I have interviews in 25fps and then b-roll in anything pretty much.... 25, 30 or 60, and it's always fine, so it can't just be that the frame rate always has to be the same in the same timeline/sequence. It's only because of this issue that you're all talking about with the frame rate that I'm having a problem. My question is though, if I do it my way, then why is the sony interview footage not looking great?

Hope this helps someone or at least gives more info to those trying to solve the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the issue we are discussing sadly. We are talking about the
HEVC .265 codec from iPhone in any format that can't use "most compatible"
not working at all, not jerky, literally unusable without converting, to
another format on a PC. Your issue I believe is more about having so many
different files and footage types in one sequence trying to play at a set
time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounded like from when I read through your thread, that people could import the files but playback is impossible as the iphone files just keep going over the beginning frames or whatnot. That is definitely what I was experiencing with the files I received for the previous project that I was referring to in November. Not usable. Now that you're pointing it out, clearly that's not what I'm experiencing now in the same way. 

But just for kicks (even thought that project is over) I just took one of those files and passed it through handbrake and imported into premiere. Works like a charm 😉 too bad I didn't have an extra moment to do this research then ... would have been able to use all the beautifully shot stuff in the video 😕

Regarding now then, what you're saying is there's no hope since they were shot at different frame rates? One of them is always going to look off? I just don't remember experiencing this when shooting on anything other than an iphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TristanNYC Now Can you fix this issue? I have same issue.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem it's driving me insane 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even import the 4k 60fps (HEVC) videos from my iPhone 11 into Premiere on my Windows.

Thanks Tristan for opening this post, hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GO TRISTAN!
Cannot believe how SH*T the Adobe support teams are.
I have exactly the same issue as you - with a fast/powerful 6-core/12-thread rig, 32GB RAM and 100% SSD storage.
They are complete TW*TS and either don't want to admit their software is broken - or are too stupid to understand what a bug looks like.
Threads with GENUINE issues last months and months.
New versions of software are release, with BUGS THE SIZE OF MOUNTAINS - that everyone can see - except Adobe.
I've posted bugs in the past - years ago - and never received a satisfactory answer.
First and second line support seem dedicated to 'Helping people who can't turn a computer on'.
REAL issues - like this - get ZERO time from the actual Adobe experts (assuming they exist).
Maybe they can open another call centre in a developing country, full of people who will appologise nicely for these issues - and leave them to never be solved.
Your thread was a breath of FRESH AIR - you nailed every single aspect of the problem - and you'd clearly worked through all the probably causes...  and Adobe still struggle to understand (or their representatives are lying - and have not tried to replicate it at all)

"Oh, we don't see that here... have you tried to reinstall" etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody here has the problem fixed? 

I have 18 core.. 128gb 3TB NVME , and SLI
And still choppy my iphone videos! pretty sad!
They look so nice to edit and still choppy playback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, still having the same problem. No news from Adobe since the 9th of January where they said they were looking at it. This is taking waaaaay too long in my opinion. I am still paying for the full Adobe app package in the meantime, without being able to use the products as expected, disappointing to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines