• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone 11 Pro (X, Xs) 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone 11 Pro 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Here is the issue:

The issue is that Adobe Premiere will never play the full clip if you try to move around the timeline. It will always revert back to the beginning of the clip and glitch out. It imports no issus, but playing on the timeline is wrong and glitched, even saving a project with the file in it crashes Adobe quite often. The codec is Apple's H265 which is the ONLY codec you can use to shoot 4K 60FPS. This means I have to run all footage through handbrake to even begin to use it in Premiere, this has been an issue for years. I just wish this response from their twitter was more than damage control and them actually having a solution.

This is where Adobe says this is not working as intended: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187219976249368576?s=20

This is the example video of it messing up: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187408078741868545?s=20

And this is the reply I got back from customer support saying it doesn't happen for them, which I find highly unlikely:

Thanks for sharing the file! I have downloaded it and I'm going to share it with the engineering team for testing. I'll update you as soon as I hear from them. ^Shivangi
Oct 24, 2019, 5:34 PM
Thank you.
Oct 24, 2019, 5:35 PM

Thank you for remaining so positive and calm while our experts is working on it. ^Shailesh
Oct 24, 2019, 5:40 PM

Hi Tristan. sorry for the delay in response. We're unable to reproduce the issue at our end even with the sample file you shared. Would you mind contacting our phone/chat support team? We'll need to troubleshoot the issue further by hopping on to a remote session. Here's the link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html Let us know. ^Shivangi

--------
So yeah... any fixes in the pipeline?

-----UPDATE from Twitter Support-----
2019-11-01 17_38_09-Window.jpg

-----------------UPDATE with Adobe 2020------------

a rep on Twitter who tried it on Mac and Mac it seems to be fine, because it is Apple's codec afterall wrapping the H.265. 

2019-11-10 18_53_44-Window.jpg

However on the PC side of things, you cannot play nor edit HEVC from an iPhone on a PC in Premiere without the issue shown above. Nor can you export or render without the issue above or a crash. Nor can you save a file without a crash 9/10 times. 

Adobe 2020 on a PC:

Example 1: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193680897087885312

Example 2: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193684072171741189

UPDATE 11/18/2019:

2019-11-18 18_12_02-Adobe Customer Care on Twitter_ _@tristanpope Hi Tristan, please file a bug so w.jpg

Support on twitter confirmed this as a bug not just a performance issue. I have sent them a file to work with via their twitter chat for testing.

I have gone ahead and filed a bug and pointed it to this thread as rewritting all of this would be impossible in the new format as requested as well: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39063853-bug-report-iphone-...

UPDATE 12/13/2019:

I went on a bit of a rant on twitter. Cause twitter and this not being at least acknowledges as a bug and how it has been dealt with is so unprofessional.

I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

A mac user contacted me about having the same issue.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

2019-12-13 10_33_40-Anne Levasseur on Twitter_ _@tristanpope @AdobeCare Thanks a lot for your answer.jpg

Adobe seems to forget that filmmaking is also journalist and majority of journalists use mobile these days.

I cannot replicate that issue on an old Macbook running a VERY slow Intel processor from 2013, which according to Kevin should be my issue on the faster intel processor listed below in my spec list...

2019-12-13 10_44_12-I am having exacly the same problem with video fro... - Page 3 - Adobe Support C.jpg

but as you can see on the macbook with a much slower processor from intel... no issues just a little laggy: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204218684341997578

What I would like to see is someone who has a mac with both Windows and MacOS on it and can bootcamp into windows to test a premiere timeline then ON the SAME machine do it on the MacOS side of things. I bet you on the Bootcamp side you will get the stutter and on the Mac side you will not. But I am not going to do all the work for Adobe here. Stupid I had to do this much research when they have an example file that doesn't work already sent by me.

UPDATED VIDEO on how to work with this footage until ADOBE decides to care about it's paying SERVICE, Davinci Resolve on the same computer loaded at the same time, running the footage without a hitch:

https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204999383378477056

Best part is this is free software for most, and a one time purcahse if you need the extra features. But our payed for every month software giant can't seem to handle it and the excuses are just piling on rather than just admitting to the bug and giving us an ETA on when it will be fixed.

So that's it folks, this is where we are at. Davinci Resolve or Handbrake until Adobe get's a clue.

STATUS UPDATE JAN 8 2020:

Still not working or fixed.

Tested on multiple computers. These are some of their specs:

First rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR RUSH Chassis with Tempered Glass Sides, Brushed Black Aluminum

**Motherboard:** ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99

**Processor:** Intel® CoreT i7 6900X 8-core 3.0GHz/3.5GHz Turbo 20MB L3 Cache w/ HyperThreading (16 Threads) OC to 4.2GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 32GB HyperX® FURYT DDR4- 2666 (4x8GB) [QUAD Channel]

**Graphics Card:** Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition

**Power Supply:** 860 Watt Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum

**Operating System Drive:** [M.2 NVME SSD] 512GB Samsung® 950 Pro [2,500MB/s Sequential Reads]
**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 1 gig samsung ssd

Second Rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte White

**Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX

**Processor:** AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)

**Graphics Card:** NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply:** EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM

**Operating System Drive:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Three:** 1TB Samsung SSD

**Hard Drive Bay Four:** 2TB HHD WD Scratch Disk for Cloud Services

**Operating System:** Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Third Rig:
**Chassis: MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte Black 

**Motherboard: MSI Pro Carbon AC ATX

**Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)

**Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR Epic 240 

**Memory: 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB) 

**Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply: BeQuiet 850W Gold

**Operating System Drive: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**M.2 NVMe SSD: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit, OEM 

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Were you using a new project from scratch or existing ones? The fix (shipped in 14.2) requires deleting the media cache if using previously existing projects. I'm guessing you might have already tried this, but wanted to make sure. (Filing a new bug now and trying to isolate as much as possible.)

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very sad I have to render all files to H264 and use it after! take so long!

And after I can use on adobe! the only way! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2020 May 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, after a few tests with version 14.2 of May 2020. I have the impression that the problem is resolved for the hevc / h265 videos taken with my iPhone 11 pro. For reading rushes, in the Time Line and for export. Is this also the case for you? 

Is everything now resolved or do you still have problems that I haven't seen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Support for the most popular creative phone's video format added"
Love, Adobe Jokers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for doing this Tristan!

I've had the same problem for years, eventually I just gave up on using any screen capture footage from my iPhone or even iPhone footage in general cuz Premiere can never handle it!

I even switched to "Most Compatible" on my iPhone settings (as opposed to HEVC) and now can barely work with iPhone 11 Pro 24fps footage on my iMac Pro.

The footage appears black in my timeline and the thumbnails are upside down. It does play, but every time I stop playing it, it goes back to black (fun!).

The problem is when I try to export it, it comes out BLACK.

I tried with Media Encoder, same, comes out BLACK.

Thanks to you I've tried Handbrake and it solved the problem. For now.

This is crazy though, we pay through the nose every month for this service and Premiere can't even handle iPhone footage? AKA the camera that half the world carries around in their pocket? Is this their way of forcing us to use Rush?

It definitely makes moving to Resolve very, very tempting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: June 26 2020 STILL BROKEN. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tristan,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. What version are you currently running? 14.2 or higher?

Thanks,

Nate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

14.3 latest build

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you using a new project from scratch or existing ones? The fix (shipped in 14.2) requires deleting the media cache if using previously existing projects. I'm guessing you might have already tried this, but wanted to make sure. (Filing a new bug now and trying to isolate as much as possible.)

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been fixed! Holy hell I am in shock. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super excited to test it out on my end! @tristanNYC def had the clearest user understanding of the skipping so if he's saying its cleared, thats great to hear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tristan. Thank you for this. For being vigilant and for being so knowledgable as to swat away the obvious wrong answers. I have been using Handbrake as the work around like most, but the metadata issues, and its somewhat lacking UI were a real drag on efficiency. I just shot a bunch of 4K 60fps footage for a visualization project with an iPhoneXPro and was concerned with quality issues from the Handbrake conversion. As soon as I'm back at my rig I'm testing this fix out. Amazing, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still having this issue with Premiere 14.4 on an iMac pro. I'm curious what else I could be missing. 

I have great difficuly playing back h.265, 60fps; only this footage and only in Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Verzella,

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.

First off, whats the machine spec? If we could the Apple System Report that would be very helpful as well as a file that is showing the issue, I can get a new bug written. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Sample clip at link. Premiere cannot play the full clip before the timeline and program window freeze. 

iPhone XR 4k@60fps H.265 original; DJI Osmo capture 

Basic report below. I may not include the full report; if you require more deailed information from the full report please advise.

Model Name: iMac Pro
Model Identifier: iMacPro1,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon W
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 1 MB
L3 Cache: 11 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 32 GB

Radeon Pro Vega 64:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro Vega 64
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 16 GB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6860
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-D0500D-114
VBIOS Version: 113-D05001A1XT-018
Option ROM Version: 113-D05001A1XT-018
EFI Driver Version: 01.01.114
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No
Connection Type: Internal

Memory Slots:

ECC: Enabled

Upgradeable Memory: No

4x

Size: 8 GB

Type: DDR4

Speed: 2666 MHz

Manufacturer: Hynix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will take over 2 hours to download the clip. Post Mediainfo of the clip in treeview.

Might want to consider proxies as the clip is h.265 and vfr?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I linked the wrong clip ^ The correct link is https://stimarketing.sharefile.com/d-s3ee6135ced84ba3b and the file is just 53mb. (I am unable to edit the previous post)

Have considered and rejected proxies. Thank you Ann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plays fine on my windows machine.

Any reason why it has to be 265 and variable framerate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that information. I am using a mac machine, with the specifications above. 

Yes, we have reason to use the original media in premire, among the chorus of others in this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's enough config info, thanks!

The ordinal bug was a decoder issue on PC only. This seems like a different issue but need to take a look at the file. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking in to it, Natem. Could we migrate this to a new thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the SAME exact problem. Grr! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just update your Premiere Pro to 14.6.0 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If that means it needs to then be the 2020 version, my laptop is unable to work with the 2020. The 2019 is the version I work with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines