• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a utility / tool to check integrity if premiere pro project file ?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just finished a 40 min project which has been a labour of love, continued lost renders and towards the end of editing - stuttering timeline playback. 
It's a 4K uhd project with mix of pro res and h265 footage. I've done this before without any problem.

So with the project completed I try to export as a pro res master. Done this many times before.

This time press export and nothing happens.

Cutting long story short I have reset preferences Deleted media cache etc etc . No luck.

Tried importing into a new project with same sequence settings and made no difference.

Reloaded GPU driver clean install

Conclusion - project file has some minor corruption somewhere ?

How can you check the integrity of a project file and look inside .... does any sort of tool exist to do that? 
Project loads ok and no errors - however you need to tap play several times to start playback in timeline. 

system - Windows 11 22H2

Intel 13900k

128gb ram

4080 super GPU

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mulitple Hard Drive system no mechanical apart from Archive drives

System C NVMe - 2TB - only 300GB used

Data Drive - Software backups/ Data - SATA 1TB  50% free

Project Drive E - NVMe 2TB - over 70% free

Media Drive SATA 2TB 50% free

Export Drive NVMe 2TB over 1.3TB free. Also Media Cache on this drive

Have checked system drive for integrity using sfc /scannow and DISM tools- All fine and healthy.

I'm spending more time debugging using Adobe Premiere than I am 'Creating'.

There are always issues on this software. Its like a fine balance all the time.

Not knowing what is going on in the system is frustrating.

Some form of error/process monitoring for advanced users would be useful to know where bottlenecks are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JonesVid Have you looked at converting all the h265 to Pro Res and then relinking to that footage? This would be the first thing I would check.

Is everything the same frame rate? Is it all native 4k?

What settings are your previews set to in your sequence? If all your media is Prores and your sequence previews set to Prores proxy it might help?

Can you export an XML of the sequence and import into a new Project to test if its the project or the footage?

If you try some of those it might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted this issue as I have successfully produced videos with mix of H265 and ProRes many times before. Not had issues before.
I agree converting everything to ProRes makes sense - but that is yet more overhead in steps to follow, more storage etc.

All footage is native 4K 50 fps. Previews are Pro Res 422 4K. I have been using the ProRes hybrid method to produce a Pro Res master.

In my experience I have not had to use Proxies before.

I will try exporting XML for further investigation. Not done that before so thanks for the suggestion .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a go at exporting the Project with the problems  as a Final Cut Pro XML file.

It exported, but the text (.txt file) describing translation issues was massive - and I had not realised it would remove every modification to the file - eg Warp Stabiliser, Lumetri etc.

I might as well just start all over again.

After finally managing to export the project within Media Encoder (which took a very very long time)  I will now draw a line under this project and start with a brand new file for my next Episode and hope I do not get a repeat of the same problems.

Am I right in assuming that XML export just gives you the basic Clips on the timeline and edits ?.

Even if you re-import the XML file into Premiere Pro I assume all the other media alterations will be lost.

This requires you have to go back through the whole project again if you need to apply individual things like Warp Stabiliser, Lumetri etc ?.

One thing I don't understand though is that on the Premiere Pro timeline - on your clips - if you apply Lumetri or Warp for example , then the timeline is still yellow bar above as all that is done by the GPU. But where are those modified Media files stored? - They are not in Video Previews so does the project modify the media 'on the fly' as it exports?. The effects are there when you play on the timeline in realtime so are those modified Media clips stored in a temp location?.

I'm interested to know how that works.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion but I will park this road of investigation for now and start a fresh project for my next Project in the series.

This does however go back to my original request that some form of Tool to analyse a Premiere Pro project would be useful.

I think we might be waiting a long time for that capability though as from my research so far  it does not appear to exist for users !.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines