• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there any way to change the way 5.1 audio sounds when playing back in stereo?

Contributor ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, the surround left and right channels appear to have significantly lower volume than the front channels, which makes it difficult to hear some dialogue happening in surround channels. I'm not editing the audio, so I want to preserve it on output, so I don't want to modify it in the edit, but I'd just like to be able to hear the surround channels clearer when playing the video back while editing.

TOPICS
Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming you actually have a 5.1 speaker kit? How do you have the audio set-up in your project?
Is the clip audio channels format set to 5.1, and you have it on a 5.1 sequence? Or is you sequence Stereo?
Dialogue on surround channels is often quieter as it is "off-screen" - are you sure it is not deliberately quieter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I record gameplay with 5.1 sound, so yes I can hear the sound while playing the game, and the dialogue is just as loud and clear in the surround channels during those moments. If I export and play back in Windows default media player or MPC-HC while using my stereo speakers, the surround channel dialogue is once again as loud and clear as I heard it on my 5.1 setup. It's only in premiere when playing back on my stereo speakers that the surround channels are very clearly reduced in volume when downmixed to stereo. 

My footage is 4K ProRes with 5.1 LPCM audio and the sequence is set to 5.1, but the computer I edit on only has stereo speakers, so Premiere is outputting stereo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure this option is set correctly:

51 mixdown.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is, but I'm still having this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to change the levels you couod add the amplify effect to the track mixer:

Amp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would that not impact the export as well? I want to leave the levels as they are for export. I only want the surround channels to be louder while editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines