Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues getting ripped HEVC 10 bit 4:2:0 footage to scrub well

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'm currently trying to edit with ripped 4K HDR footage that's HEVC 10 bit 4:2:0 and I can't seem to figure out how to get this footage to playback smoothly in Premiere when I'm scrubbing. 

I'm starting with ripped m2ts files directly from the disc, that is then recontainered to mov (still HEVC). H264/HEVC accelerated decoding is enabled (with a visible checked box for Nvidia). 

I've even tried low resolution H.264 proxies and that isn't working either so I'm not sure what I'm missing here. I understand that my processor might not be a new enough generation to support all the latest features but my GPU should be more than enough for this to my understanding. 

Any idea what I'm missing here?

My hardware is as follows: 

GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti
CPU: Intel i9 9900K

RAM: 64 GB DDR4

Windows 10 64 bit

TOPICS
Editing , Export , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what exact hardware yours has for HEVC encoding, and maddeningly it can vary dramtically by the CPU involved. @RjL190365 is the expert here on that.

Past that, long-GOP media like this is a complete mess for editing. To make every frame of video, the computer has to look typically both forward and back, essentially recreate a number of frames, to be able to display each one. Because that isn't stored as complete frames.

You have highly compressed but complete frames every 9 up to 120 frames apart (in some odd drones). In-between you have only matrix sets of image data that have changed from the previous, next, or BOTH ... complete frames. A real hard bit of computing.

And going to H.264 proxies doesn't help ... that's also long-GOP media. Going to Cineform, ProRes, or DNxHD/R for proxies may get much larger files on disk ... but every frame is complete. Vastly easier for the computer to work with.

And you can dump the proxies after completing the job.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I had seen the tips online about Cineform being better so I already started encoding a low res proxy of one of my sources. 

If it matters, I'm using PCM audio (to maintain the 5.1/7.1 [can't remember] audio track). 

I used to convert all my sources to UTVideo AVI but I was told that doesn't work well for 4K HDR so I'm just trying to find the best workflow here to make this scrub/playback well during the editing process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been trying to stick with HEVC because I've gathered that uses the GPU to handle the workload whereas ProRes422 uses the CPU? (And the GPU is my strength here). 

Not sure how accurate that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ProRes and Cineform are meant for editing.  

Which ever one you choose, make sure that your Sequence Video Preview are set to match and you'll be taking advantage of  Premiere Pro's Smart Rendering (faster, more responsive editing).  You'll also notice that there is no Yellow Line above your footage in the Timeline Ruler. 

Use either one instead of H264/H265 any time that you have the chance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I made my Cineform proxy but my sequence video preview seems to be limited to ProRes? Cineform is greyed out. Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note the he calls codec is predictive intraframe and Pro Res is all whole frames which edit easier with less decompressing of intraframed footage. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My source is HEVC 10 bit 4:2:0 but it doesn't scrub well with my RTX 3090 Ti (originally m2ts recontainered to mov with pcm audio)

That article implies it should work though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need 10th gen processor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really always gonna be CPU dependent? (I'm stuck with LGA 1151 mobo)

Is there no way to circumvent the processor requirement with a codec or something that wholly relies on the GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try prores proxies

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I tried these too and the biggest thing I'm noticing right now is I have a few different sources here and anytime it switches between one or the other it's like it's taking premiere a bit to process the new material. 

Regardless of the proxy type. Once it "processes" the new material it seems to scrub through it fine. 

But that's not ideal at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance you can just skip the whole proxy workflow and just use Media Encoder to change all the source files to ProRes 422 and use those to edit with?

I also wanted to say,  the CPU you have and video card should have little discomfort with an H265/H264 video file.  I edit Lots of drone footage in those formats, and there is a small delay when moving the play head, and scrubbing is not perfect, but it's not bad either - My system is similar to yours.

If you have a sample of the footage, you can dropbox /google drive,  I can try and see what it performs like on my system and report that to you.

Also,  can you advise what effects and how your time line is built?  screen shot the timeline that gives you challenges, and describe all the effects that are layered at the clip level, adjustment layer etc you have.

The way you describe your situation, it feels like you have some effect on there that is taking time to process the frames over and above the standard decode times for.  I often use noise reduction, and it chokes the system so I have to keep the effect off until the edit is done and do it last as an example.

I'm thinking there is something "ugly" about how the file was converted to H264 as you describe a process to " starting with ripped m2ts files directly from the disc" and then wrapped it into a H264 .mov file.

If you transcode using Media encoder to Process 422, you should be able to avoid any of the issues introduced with the process you noted while editing.

As others have mentioned, ProRes is a very easy to edit format, and works on a very wide array of systems.  You will be using the 9900 to decode with vs the GPU, but that system will be more than fine for this.   

Its not been mentioned,  but ensure you are using the Nvidia Studio Drivers and the latest one version 512.15 released Mar 22, 2022.  If your not already in studio and this version, when you do the driver update, consider doing a "clean" install (its an option when installing the Nvidia driver).  And, as funny as this sounds, go into the windows "Microsoft store" app, and check for updates (depending on the windows and app version, updates can be found in the library tab).  There are Codec pushs that happen inside this the store app now that could help you that are not part of windows update.

And if you can/want to, I would gladly try out a sample of your footage and see if I have the same thing.  I'm running a 3090 with a 10980XE win 11 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing to remember is codecs like h.264-5 are compressed and mezzanine codecs are whole frames if you don't have pro res then try all-I when filming. There's no real solution for editing compressed files to my knowledge. One thing also is where is your ram preview being done. If you have a spare  external ssd. Use that for ram preview. Set up in preferences. Good luck 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Premiere Pro can encode and decode that codec with  the M1 chip and Alder Lake CPUs. You might have to use proxies. Having said that it might be best to record in 8 bit as opposed to transcoding.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have been struggling with the same problems I did find a YouTube video that helped. Understanding Video Codecs by Chris Olsen. It seems the type of codec affects how the computer reads and edits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines