• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Low level exception occurred: Scaling, Lumetri, & RED 5K

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2018 Mar 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having significant issues with Premiere Pro. I saw someone in another discussion post their question in this format so I'll give it a shot to see if there is enough info here for someone to help me out

PROBLEM

The issues I get are very inconsistent and confusing. And they all usually ramp up drastically whenever I am using Lumetri to grade. To clarify, I have been having these issues across 20 or so different projects over the past 6 months.

I've gotten these issues (in order of most common and frustrating):

-A low level exception occurred in: Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter:11)

• This happens ALL the time.
  • have to restart premiere thru Task Manager
  • Happens when I'm using LUTS installed into my creative folder, or LUTs that I browse for that stay at the same spot on my computer and don't move.

-A low level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings(AEVideoFilter:29)

• This frequently occurs as well

-Exporting errors that stop an entire export

• I forgot what its called but its something like "A low level exception occurred. Unable to Process Frame. Lumetri error..."
  • I have to restart premiere several times and every now and then I'll get lucky and my project will actually export all the way thru

-A low level exception occurred in: Mask (AEVideoFilter:15)

-Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error (when rendering)

-Premiere Pro encountered an error: [D:\Haberdasher\releases\2017.08\PremierePro\UIFramework\Src\EditControl

• I've seen this just twice

I don't usually change anything to fix these issues. I just re-start Premiere. But its getting to the point where I have to do this VERY frequently. 6-8 times an hour when I'm grading. Sometimes I can ignore the errors and continue editing but then premiere will just crash anyways. Then I have to close it from Task ManagerScrolling through the Creative luts that i've installed into my system will cause the Lumetri issue after a couple minutes of scrolling.
COMPUTER INFO

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor 3.00 GHZ
  • Installed memory: 32.0 GB
  • System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
  • Motherboard: ASUS Prime 5350-Plus
  • Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan), 6GB GDDR5

HARD DRIVE INFO

G-Technology G-RAID 16TB, USB 3.0. 7200 RPM drives

PROJECT INFO

• Premiere Version: Premiere Pro CC (2017) 12.0.0
    • updating premiere doesn't fix my issue. I was having same issues on older builds.
  • Footage: R3D, 5120x2160, 23.976fps, REDcode 8:1, to 11:1,  REDLogFilm, About 2.5 TB of footage)

Sony FS700 2K ProRes 422

FAILED FIX ATTEMPTS

• Switched from GPU Mercury playback to CPU
  • Switched RAM from Performance to Memory
  • Updated graphics card driver
  • Uninstalled Premiere and reinstalled
  • Cleared the media cache folders

Could I be having a hardware issue? Why am I constantly unable to edit smoothly? The Lumetri issue is a big deal but the random RED Source Settings errors are super annoying and time-killers as well.

Moderator Note: Customer has AMD processors, which is a common link on the major threads in this post.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same exact problem.

Running AMD Ryzen procs?

KM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll chime in here that I'm having the same trouble as the original poster, but I am NOT using any LUTs. So while LUTs may trigger this problem, they are NOT going to fix the issue. I am working in a project with about 10,000 R3D clips of various sizes from different RED cameras. I was running into the low-level exception errors primarily when making ripple edits in a 40-minute sequence, but also when doing match frame and moving R3D clips to a different track. Ever since updating to the latest version yesterday, the errors seem to be more frequent, and I now cannot change the R3D settings in Premiere without getting errors. If I go to the Effect Controls for the master clip and hide the R3D settings, the clip will show up fine in my Program Monitor. But if I show the R3D settings, my Program Monitor just shows a black screen.

COMPUTER INFO

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor 3.40 GHZ
  • Installed memory: 32.0 GB
  • System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
  • Motherboard: ASRock x370 Taichi
  • Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

Moderator Note: Customer has AMD processors, which is a common link on the major threads in this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update Premiere versions?

If so, from what to what?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 13.1.2 (Build 9). I can't tell you exactly what version I updated from but it was CC 2019, so some flavor of 13. If there is a way to find out what version I was previously on, I'll look it up, but now that I've updated, I don't think I can find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jvonmutius,

Do you have access to an Intel CPU based machine to compare and test with? Let us know. That may be the culprit.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not, and if you read this other thread about the same error (A low-level exception occurred in: RED Source Settings (AEVideoFilter) - crashes ), you'll see that people have the same issues on Intel processors. I CAN say that I'm working with another editor on this project, and the same project file that gives me issues does NOT cause errors for her. She is working on a Mac, but I don't know tech specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for pointing me to that discussion. We do have some issues that have been reported with RED and the Low Level exception error and issues are filed, however, I'm not quite confident enough that we have a reproducible case for this precise issue yet.

Since you are operating with a timeline with various resolutions of RED files, I wonder it could merely be a system issue in that 8GB VRAM is not enough VRAM to support:

• Lumetri GPU accelerated effect
  • Scaling
  • R3D frame size
  • Frame rate differences (even if slight)

You could perform a test by transcoding, render & replacing, or rendering previews to a smart rendering codec (ProRes 422, for example) and operate with that workflow. If your timeline is happier editing and playing back from non-R3D footage that takes excessive GPU loads off playback and exporting, then it would be a nice alternative.

This is how I would approach this problem. Please try a test and report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin. I appreciate your time and your responses as we work through this frustrating issue. If your suspicion is correct, then an "out of memory" error would be much more helpful than the vague "low-level exception" I'm currently getting! I will run some tests. However, I'm not sure smart rendering is the way to go. If I render to ProRes, I wouldn't expect to have issues, because I have never had problems working with ProRes footage. I already know that R3D is the problem, I just need to know WHY it's a problem. So, I will try working with the same footage in a very small sequence, and I will also try bringing the same footage into a much smaller project to see if any of those works. Please note that I started encountering these errors before applying Lumetri or any other effects. I am still scaling, of course, but 8GB VRAM should be enough to work with scaled R3D footage! Perhaps as another test, I will switch the same sequence to 5K, so that the footage isn't being scaled, and see if that helps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JVon,

I'm just an editor like you, so I'm not giving you any BS. I'm just telling you how I would attack the issue. My educated guess is that your system might not be powerful enough for what you are now doing and this current version. There are really no current bugs describing your condition, so it's not widespread, I don't think.

Low level exception, AFAIK, means you're out of resources for that GPU. I think that if you had a GPU with maybe 12 GB VRAM, you could get away with a large frame size workflow with all the add ons you want, like 5-8K playback, scaling, GPU accelerated effects including the biggest baddest GPU effect of them all, Lumetri.

An 8GB VRAM GPU might not cut it for you any more, especially with the new version which recommends higher system requirements and therefore, likely, higher overhead than previous versions.

I think the other problem is that most folks don't know what taxes the GPU as we don't really state it anywhere obvious. The biggies are what I laid out already:

• GPU accelerated effects of any kind
    • GPU accelerated color correction: Lumetri
    • Warp Stabilizer
    • Other popular effects, check the Effects tab
  • Scaling
  • Frame Rate conversions (even slight ones like 23.976 > 24 fps or 29.97 to 30 fps)
  • Blending modes
  • Color space conversions
  • Deinterlacing

See this ancient post: Mercury, CUDA, and what it all means

Note that the Mercury Playback Engine does not accelerate the encoding process at all, it only assists with the processing of effects of the above during the exporting process.

I'm not sure smart rendering is the way to go.

I wouldn't be so quick to brush aside this excellent workflow. It's now my "go to" method for projects that need 4K that are using an underpowered computer (like my 2013 MacBook Pro). If you need to pack a punch with a less powerful rig, there is no better option. The costs are the rendering or transcoding time and the temporary space it takes up.

I already know that R3D is the problem, I just need to know WHY it's a problem.

There is a new RED SDK, which might take more power. Power that just might be a bit beyond the reach of your current hardware, perhaps. My take anyway. You may need to either update the hardware or move back a version to cut RED natively.

I will try working with the same footage in a very small sequence, and I will also try bringing the same footage into a much smaller project to see if any of those works.

Yes, it should be fine in a small, less demanding sequence, more than likely. When you stress the sequence with Lumetri and other taxing effects, you'll see the situation degrade, I think.

Please note that I started encountering these errors before applying Lumetri or any other effects.

Like I said, I believe you are working with a new version of RED support within Premiere Pro. It might take a more powerful computer to handle it. Scaling, frame rate differences, and any other effects from the above list could upset the apple cart.

8GB VRAM should be enough to work with scaled R3D footage!

Please let us know what happens. Recommend you run a test when you do not scale the footage and compare the results.

I will switch the same sequence to 5K, so that the footage isn't being scaled, and see if that helps at all.

Yes, try a test after dragging the footage to the "New Item" icon so that it is totally native. Play that off a speedy drive and give us the results. Hope the advice here helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to say that I already have followed up this issue with the product team and I will make sure that we get a proper bug report out of this and will make any fixes necessary, if we can alleviate this situation—or at least provide some guidance. A warning at the very least, as to what's going on here. I agree. It's confusing.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another suggestion I was going to make, and it is a common one, and that is to use the proxy workflow as an alternative to smart rendering. The only problem with your situation and proxies is that you have to create a proxy and ingest preset for every flavor of RED footage you are using. Since you said you have a wide variety of source footage, that might be painful.

That is another reason I suggested smart rendering as a potential solution as I have also faced these issues.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2019 Sep 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted about this yesterday, but my post got deleted?! Have a very similar issue on a 2019 15 inch MBP with RED raw files. Getting no issues while editing, but I can't export with a LUT adjustment layer for some reason. Crashes PP with a critical error, or freezes Media Encoder (also had the low level exception error pop up at least once on ME). Doesn't seem to matter which LUT I use. Tried all the regular fixes (emptying cache, copying sequence to a new project file, etc.). This is very very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

Did you ever get a solution from Adobe?  This error is on so many websites/youtube pages its insane.  They are obviously aware of the lumetri crashing/error is there a definate solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rayovacson,

What is your hardware and media? The type of thing that causes the issues noted in the original post is actually several different and unrelated things. So when someone is having this, solving for that is necessary. OS, Gear, media, and effects used are all important. Note, on the original post of this thread from two years ago, the Moderator note that (at that time) the issues were most commonly raised with AMD GPUs.

But ... the majority of AMD GPUs being used with Premiere currently are newer with vastly different architecture than those GPUs. And may or may not have any problems with RED media, which is the primary media this thread was about.

For example, on my Win10 rig, 6-core/32GB RAM 1060/6GB, I'm not having any issues with RED media. Other than it can at times slow the rig down a lot, as I need get a newer more robust system. But I can edit and export without issue as can most users.

Even my Acer Predator Triton 500 laptop can work with and export RED media. Again ... by the time I'm trying 6k RED, my playback is pretty poor. Yea, I proxy a lot. But again, I can work with the media without issue.

Give us some data ... so we can try to puzzle out what the issue/s is/are.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this issue been resolved? 

I just added an 18 luts package to Premiere Pro to the creative folder I created, this is the path:

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 19.11.33.png

But I'm getting the low-level exemption error when I scroll down the list of luts under the creative tab in lumetri and the application crashes. What should I do in order to see a preview of my footage with the lut applied and not getting the error?

Is it possible that the error has to do with the fact that there are two locations for the luts? The one I showed and the application package (I added them to the first folder):

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 19.15.37.png

Thise are the specs of my computer:

 

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 13.16.25.png

thanks

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos,

Those look like Input LUTs not Creative ones. Can you place them in the proper folder and then see what occurs? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The programs come with a folder set in the program/package files for the LUTs Adobe supplies. Users should never ever add LUTs to the program/package folder locations.

You added the correct place for LUTs to be seen and accessed from the Creative tab drop down, it appears. That is actually where I always suggest and teach that people apply their LUTs from. As all LUTs should be applied where you can trim the exposure and saturation of the clip prior to the processing of the LUT by the app.

Applying LUTs in the Creative tab allows you to both set a "strength" in the Creative tab, which is often useful. But the important thing is it allows you to use the Basic tab tonal controls to make sure the LUT isn't clipping the whites, crushing the blacks, and gets appropriate saturation.

Where did you get those LUTs from?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I got the luts form vision color https://vision-color.com,  

which I believe it's a respected manufacturer. I've had that problem with other luts too. 

So no need to move the luts to the input folder?

Any other solution?

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't move them myself. As noted, I prefer to use all LUTs from the Creative tab dropdown, especially tech/conversion LUTs, so I can trim the clips through the LUT.

LUTs are created from studio setups, most often, and "assume" perfect exposure, white balance, and contrast of the lighting and the camera as they are made. The media we work in our projects is never made under those exact circumstances.

I would contact their support for assistance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However the issue is not the way the luts work. It's that when I scroll down the list of luts in the creative tab, I get a A low level exception occured in Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)" message and Premiere crashes.

I've been reading about it and can't find a solution that makes that module work propperly. Apparently this problem has some years old and Adobe hasn't adress it. Am I wrong? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why I said contact the maker. I run a fair number of LUTs here, whether ones I've made in PrPro, Resolve, or with the old LUT Buddy utility, and some that I've acquired elsewhere. They're running fine.

So check with the maker, see what they have to say. They should be familiar with the use of their LUTs in PrPro.

That said, there are some LUT formats that PrPro cannot work with. Which they would also know.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did contact the manufacturer and they said the luts should work fine. They are .cube format, as some of the legacy and technical luts are too.

Could you please share with me some of those luts you have working fine in your computer so I can run a test here and see if the problem remains?

Thanks,

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a folder with several LUTs, some created by Lumetri, including both .cube and .Look files, plus one created by the LUT Buddy utility.

LUTs Transfer

It would be good for you to also send one of the offending ones back, see if they work fine or not here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines