• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master file duplicated for each subclip when using Project Manager

Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that has now finished production and would like to collect only the files used for the delivery sequence into a single project for archiving purposes.

The delivery sequence is made up of:

• Multiple subclips taken from a single large video file
  • Multiple clips take from multiple smaller video files
  • Multiple nested sequences

From the Project Manager I have selected Collect Files and Copy to a New Location and selected only the delivery sequence.

My issue is this: in the resulting project, for each subclip referenced in the delivery sequence, Project Manager has created a copy of the large video file. So each subclip in the resulting project is referencing different in/out points in a different copy of the long video file.

I would have expected that each subclip could reference different in/out points in the same large video file, as with the original production project.

Are subclips working as intended in this scenario? Is there a different process for collecting files when using subclips?

The subclips:

• Do not have trims restricted to subclip boundaries
  • Are not converted to master clips

Thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I've just noticed that in the resulting project, the source file (i.e. "large video file") is no longer shown in the project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKAROUND: In the resulting project, if I Replace Media... on each subclip and link it all back to one version of the source file, I can then safely delete each duplicate. This is only a work around though - if anyone has other suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most efficient way I found to batch replace those subclips is to import them from the original project, then check 'Relink media automatically', that way you'll only need to relink once for each master footage because in the original project all of the subclips have the same source name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comment deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issues as well, and it's very frustrating because the consolidation of the media takes sooo long because it's copying the master clip over and over for every subclip.  Adobe MUST have a way to fix this.  Is there a way to directly tag adobe techs to this thread to get an answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis tends to respond to pings. He could probably get to an answer on this.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate Neil's optimism, but we're unaware of any way around Project Manager's "safety first" approach to copying the media file for each sub-clip; Eyu4's workaround seems like a useful workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not okay with this response. Have encountered this problem on multiple occasions. Why are we having workarounds for (what seem like) rudimentary things like this, yet we have Beta versions of Premiere Pro with miraculous audio tools and other things of the sort? Why can't the basics be fixed?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone's "basics" are different ... as we all are. I don't think there are as many using Project Manager to move things around as I had always expected, from talking with other users. Maybe if it did some things differently, more would.

But the subclips issue, and of course, that it can't cut H.264/5 long-GOP media into just the bits used, a few other things ... it's got limitations. And yea, maybe if more were changed it would get more use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

While the user experience is pretty simple, the logic behind project (and media) management is not at all basic. We understand that the current limitations are frustrating; the choice to not risk losing/changing the user's media and content remains the right one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially if the file is long-GOP, like much mp4 and some mov media, the app can't 'cut' the file into bits during a consolidate & transcode operation. Where it often can with intraframe codecs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

comment deleted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines