Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maximum bit depth-maximum render quality when dynamic linking

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

A bit confused by the use of Maximum bit depth and Maximum render quality as used both in Sequence Settings and also as options when rendering in AME.

1 Do you need to explicitly enable these switches in the sequence for best quality or, do you simply need to switch them on in AME when you render in Media Encoder?

2 When dynamic linking to After Effects, when should you use an 8 bit vs 16 or 32 bit working space, and, how does this bit depth interact with the maximum bit depth, maximum render quality in PPro?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jbach2,

I understand your confusion.  I'm like that most of the time I'm working. *chuckle*  The two settings you mentioned are two completely different parameters affecting (or is it effecting) your video. You do not need to enable them within the sequence itself unless you want to preview video on you program monitor at the highest quality.  I personally don't recommend it, as it's a tremendous resource hog, (the program even warns you when you try to click them) and unessecary for improving final output.  Again, do not enable these options in your sequence settings if you are only wanting a high quality export. Doing so will greatly reduce your editing performance unless you have a high-end system. ...and even then I don't think its worth it unless you're editing on a huge screen with a Director who wants to see everything at a maximum quality during the edit process.

Keeping it simple...

Resizing your final output video? Use Maximum bit depth.

Starting or working with high bitdepth sources? Use Max Bit Depth.

When/where do I enable these? In the AME only. ^_^

Why?:

1. Enabling the Max bit and Max render only needs to be done when you are exporting.  They both serve different functions. 
    • Max Render aids in the scaling/conversion process only.  My understanding is that you never need to enable the Max Render Quality (MRQ) unless you are exporting in a format/pixel ratio different from your original video.  For example, when rendering a 1080p timeline out to a 480p file format, you'll want to use MRQ to ensure the best scaling with the least amount of artifacts and aliasing.  If you're exporting at the same size you're working with, DON'T enable MRQ.  It will just cost you time and CPU. Its only function is to do a high quality resizing of your work.
    • Maximum bit depth increases the color depth that your video is working with and rendering to.  If you're working with video that has low color depth, then I don't believe it will matter.  However, if you're working with 32 bit color on your timeline in PPro and/or After Effects, using lots of graphics, high contrast values, or color gradients, you may want to enable this option. It ultimately depends on the color depth of your source material.
  2. The same applies to After Effects.
    • Create something in AE like a nice color gradient.  Now switch the same project between 8,16,32 bit depth, and you will see a noticable difference in how the bit depth effects your colors and the smoothness of the gradient.
    • Bit depth effects how different plugins/effects change your overall image.  Higher depth means more colors to work with (and incidentally, more cpu you need)

Just remember that "DEPTH" determines how many colors you can "fill your bucket with" and "QUALITY" is just that, the quality of your "resize".

http://blogs.adobe.com/VideoRoad/2010/06/understanding_color_processing.html

Check out this adobe blog for more info on color depth ^_^  Hope that helps!

----a lil excerpt from the blog i linked to above---

Now, 8-bit, 10-bit, and 12-bit color are the industry standards for recording color in a device. The vast majority of cameras use 8-bits for color. If your camera doesn’t mention the color bit depth, it’s using 8-bits per channel. Higher-end cameras use 10-bit, and they make a big deal about using “10-bit precision” in their literature. Only a select few cameras use 12-bits, like the digital cinema camera, the RED ONE.

Software like After Effects and Premiere Pro processes color images using color precision of 8-bits, 16-bits, and a special color bit depth called 32-bit floating point. You’ve probably seen these color modes in After Effects, and you’ve seen the new “32″ icons on some of the effects in Premiere Pro CS5.

jbach2 wrote:

Hi

A bit confused by the use of Maximum bit depth and Maximum render quality as used both in Sequence Settings and also as options when rendering in AME.

1 Do you need to explicitly enable these switches in the sequence for best quality or, do you simply need to switch them on in AME when you render in Media Encoder?

2 When dynamic linking to After Effects, when should you use an 8 bit vs 16 or 32 bit working space, and, how does this bit depth interact with the maximum bit depth, maximum render quality in PPro?

Message was edited by: SnJK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2013 Nov 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just some details that i find useful on maximum render depth

"Resizing your final output video? Use Maximum bit depth."  YES

Starting or working with high bitdepth sources? Use Max Bit Depth" YES

"When/where do I enable these? In the AME only. ^_^" YES/NO, when using heavy grading/multiple curves/vignettes it is essential to check it in premiere as well to preview whether heavy grades hold in 32bit without banding and color artifacts. Uncheck it to continue with editing.

Why?:

1. Enabling the Max bit and Max render only needs to be done when you are exporting. (SEE ABOVE) They both serve different functions. 
    • Max Render aids in the scaling/conversion process only.  My understanding is that you never need to enable the Max Render Quality (MRQ) unless you are exporting in a format/pixel ratio different from your original video.  For example, when rendering a 1080p timeline out to a 480p file format, you'll want to use MRQ to ensure the best scaling with the least amount of artifacts and aliasing.  If you're exporting at the same size you're working with, DON'T enable MRQ.  It will just cost you time and CPU. Its only function is to do a high quality resizing of your work.(A CUDA enabled Premiere Pro handles that even without being checked, by rendering always in max render quality)
    • Maximum bit depth increases the color depth that your video is working with and rendering to.  If you're working with video that has low color depth, then I don't believe it will matter.  (IT DOES, SEE ABOVE) However, if you're working with 32 bit color on your timeline in PPro and/or After Effects, using lots of graphics, high contrast values, or color gradients, you may want to enable this option. It ultimately depends on the color depth of your source material.

Unfortunately Maximum bit depth exporting is extremely time-consuming, but can really SAVE YOUR DAY when facing artifacts after heavy grading, by completely or almost completely eliminating banding and other unwanted color distortions.

Use it only for either small previews or the really final output.

Best Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines