• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My arrow keys aren't going frame by frame

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Adobe Premiere for years, and hitting the arrow keys have always meant moving one frame at a time. Now, though, it seems to have suddenly switched to moving 0.00001 seconds along the timeline (same with holding K and using J and L). Obviously, this doesn't make any progress at all. The audio time units on each side of the video are way too precise by about three digits. Does anyone have any idea how to change the arrow keys back to scrolling frame by frame?

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Click on the stack of lines next to the Sequence Name in the timeline and uncheck (toggle off)  Show Audio Time Units:

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 1.18.32 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the stack of lines next to the Sequence Name in the timeline and uncheck (toggle off)  Show Audio Time Units:

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 1.18.32 PM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this does work around the problem, it's not correct to say this is the correct solution.

The Right and Left arrow keys perform the functions "Step Forward 1 Frame" and "Step Back 1 Frame" respectively. You can check this by holding the mouse over the buttons in the Program window and observing the tooltip, which is consistent even when Audio Time Units are enabled:

2020-09-28 15_51_29-Clipboard.png

The menu option to "Show Audio Time Units" is clearly a display setting, and should not affect the Step Forward/Back 1 Frame functionality.

You could argue it should be two separate settings: one for what units to display, and another for what units to step by when the arrow keys are used.

It is completely valid to want to view time units while moving back and forward in frames. At present, this is not possible if you use "non-standard" frame rates.

For example, my project is an animation, so I'm using 12 FPS. Why would that mean I don't want to see how long my sequence is in minutes / seconds ? Am I forced to view my project in frames, just so the left / right keyboard shortcuts make sense ?

This is a bug, and should be fixed, not worked around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have to restart Premiere to get it back to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines