• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My workaround for 'lost' preview files in Premiere

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2013 Jan 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you render preview files in Premiere and the next time you launch the program you're met with red bars in the sequence - indicating the need to re-render (even though those render files are still sitting on the hard drive right where Premiere last left them). While Adobe is purportedly aware of the issue, it's still pretty annoying.

I found a potential workaround which, so far, seems to work - at least for me.

Premiere seems to lose track of rendered preview files on the sequence that was displayed at the time the project was saved before exiting. When Premiere is re-launched, by default, it opens to the last displayed/saved sequence.  

So here's what to do, whether your project consists of a single sequence or several.

1) Create an empty sequence. Leave it empty. Rename it if you like ("Select me before saving and exiting") - or not.

2) Work in your other sequence(s). Render your previews as needed.

3) Before exiting Premiere (this is the important part) switch to the empty sequence and save the project. Then exit.

4) The next time you start Premiere: a) Select the project, b) Wait till all media is loaded (Premiere reports this at bottom). It will open to the empty sequence. When you switch to the work sequences, you should have green bars where the previews were previously rendered.

Try it and let me know if this works for you.

Preston

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you know I was just looking online about this again and found a post from 2005 about not connecting to preview files so that is nearly 20 years! 20 years Adobe. I will be moving on to Resolve, had enough, this will never be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just don't get it either. Why Adobe Premiere technical team have not stamped on this problem a long time back.

Its a fundamental core problem.

I was using ProRes renders and Exporting a ProRes master without any issues back on 2019 or 2020 Premiere Pro version (can't remember) - then since then nothing but hassle with this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines