• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Speedgrade CC 2015 reverts all layers back to default when opened again.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys I have just downloaded the new versions for work and already cant seem to get past the bugs.

I've had several Prem Jobs passed down the pipeline for colour grading and speedgrade has been fine for the initial grading looks. However If i open the same project a second time to make changes to my grades they are removed and reset to default again undoing all the grading I have spent time on and returning the look to un edited scopes etc.

I notice that when I open it a second time there is a lumetri layer that I can not delete and any attempt to adjust any settings forces a revert.

Am I missing some new process or setting in CC2015?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Guys. This a know issue :-(, this bug slipped in at the eleventh hour and is MAC CC2015 ONLY. Windows CC2015 version is fine.

Dennis Weinmann assured me his team is working on a fix. Until then, I'm sorry to say that my advise as an Adobe Certified Trainer is: DON'T use DIRECT LINK on MAC with CC2015 until this it fixed.

I'm sure they will come with a fix really soon, and then we can all forget about it. :-).

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm ... I've seen staff comments acknowledging the Sg scopes memory leak, the Lumetri issues of PrPro/Sg on a couple different issues (including layer resetting) when in Direct Link, Dynamic Link issues betwixt PrPro & AE, problems with certain effects in PrPro, and several instability issues some of which concern particular Mac OS versions. And that there's work going on in all three programs to get a bug release update out as soon as they have the issues fixed.

They don't communicate even potential release dates ... you can complain all you want (I certainly have!) about this, but it isn't changing. Yes, guaranteed, there will be fixes posted long before October. When? No clue.

And the frustrating thing is many people are operating just fine, some folks are operating but with pains, and some are just plain hammered. Sorting out why one system is doing fine but another nearly identical one is hammered can be complex & frustrating. I've been on both sides as have many users. Some releases just flew for me while others were nailed, sometimes I've been one of a few nailed by a glitch that most didn't have.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, certainly not criticizing the staff on the forums, or anyone else doing the actual fixing behind the scenes. And if more time is needed, then so be it.

But I raised my first support ticket ever with Adobe over these issues (which means I've probably been lucky with my hardware, or Adobe products are generally not this bugged) and I spent way too much time getting exactly zero meaningful resolution or response. Maybe that was atypical, I don't know. But I'd never have bothered with the support ticket in the first place if there were a simple page with "known issues" confirming that this is being worked on, or even just acknowledged with no promise of a resolution date (which is what Autodesk seems to do, though I think they're quite fast in practice). If such a page exists for the Sg issues other than this forum, then please ignore everything I've said, but I certainly haven't been able to find it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue of Adobe's communication practices has been thoroughly hashed in these forums before ... and will be again ... for pretty good reasons.

It is not an optimal method by any stretch of anything. From conversations in person with many of the 'team' members of ... ahem ... several of the Adobe programs over the last two NAB conferences in Vegas, I don't think that any of them are unaware of the frustrations we users have with the Adobe practices manual for communications ... nor would they be less frustrated than we. I so wish there was a way to get up the ladder within Adobe and get some changes made.

You're SO right about the usefulness of a "bugs/current issues" posting ... and something like a listing page with each program or one for say the DVP's (digital video programs) that was then broken down by product/problem ... would be of an immense value to those using the programs especially for professional workloads. I don't know of a team member that would have an issue with that. They aren't the ones making Policy however.

I have seen a couple posts on here recently where it was suggested by Adobe staff that someone needed to contact Support & get their ticket ... but should note in the initial contact that this is for professional work and needed a second-level or something like that assistance. Would be useful to know, right?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many things about this concern me.

The fact that a "glitch" of this magnitude was allowed out the door. Did Adobe literally never do a round trip between PP and SG before they released this to us, their "beta testers"?

A problem that renders the software 95% useless should not ever make it to the end user, especially a problem like this that is so easy to find and replicate with the most basic testing.

The fact that Adobe took a company-wide vacation after a major release is mind-boggling.

And now we just sit and wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is terminal. How do stupid users who upgraded (like myself) roll back to 2014?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is terminal. How do stupid users who upgraded (like myself) roll back to 2014?

There are links in the forum with detailed descriptions of rolling back to 2014 but the quick answer is...

- go to your CC desktop manager.

- If you scroll down a bit you will see a link for "previous versions"

- after you install 2014 make sure you also do the update for that version. The first version of 2014 you will install will not be the most recent version of 2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there were many round-trips between programs before these programs were released. But realize that the total number of people working on these as members of the design/engineering team is probably fewer than you think ... and though they almost all work both Mac & PC machines regularly, it's still only a (relatively) few machines.

From what I know from chatting with people involved, they do get a lot of issues that come up within the private & internal user-testing program work. And they work at solving those as the come up. It's been fascinating to find how the same software runs totally fine on say the group doing X with it, and then someone else uses the same tools/effects with just a different codec or with a slightly different hardware config ... and everything that seemed totally stable and locked down crashes. Abysmally. And the engineers are sitting there going wth ... I tested with that, what happened? Implementations of various mobo parts drivers ... OS changes & options ... let alone 3rd party things such as AJA or BM cards/devices ... all of these things can work perfectly through a bunch of testing and crap on this other slightly different rig. A bug that lasted through two "generations" that they finally nailed to the wall forever ... resurfaces suddenly. Why? Oh ... maybe it was nVidia releasing a new driver that went around their earlier fix of this effect ... but ... this only affects people on say Mac with these nVidia chipped cards running this precise driver update. Realistically, a very few people. But maybe this completely shuts down professional work for those affected by it.

And along the way, judgements have to be made. There are only X team members, working Y hours/week. These are the list of problems, from some that do a slight bit of "hurt" (very annoying but you can work around it) but for a LOT of people, down to some that affect say less than 3% of the user-base, but HAMMER those folks. Now ... where do you put your time resources? That's a decision that will always be wrong for someone. Going in.

And at some point, Management decrees "We're going LIVE on Tuesday, with whatever you've got."

So ... you end up with making further judgements of the above paragraph, after the fact of Release. It's very public there are some problems ... but how widespread any one problem is will never be openly discussed ... and there's no communication giving a listing of exactly what's been acknowledged & when the fix will be in.

Which is where we are. And why some users have a very big bone to pic with management style & practices. And yet, there are some long-time users here who work many hours a week professionally delivering to major "outlets" all the time ... who've never been shut down by anything. Wish I were one of them, but ... I also listen to them when they suggest possibles for people to troubleshoot their machines over this or that issue. They've had some luck, sure ... but also made some (clearly) wise choices.

So says the guy who's writing on his laptop as his desktop ... a month old machine ... is going through hours of testing of EVERY part/driver on the mobo from CPU cores on down, to figure why this new machine has completely crashed in two different ways in it's short life. When it's run it's been an awesome machine ... but it's been ill more than healthy. My builder is ragging out with stress tests to find out what's the issue.

I hope to be working again by Friday mid-day. Been down since late last Thursday. I've got disagreements with the ways some of the new 'tools' within PrPr/Sg work/interact, but at least, my machine's internal drama can't be blamed on Adobe.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very considered post.

I've been producing digital content since 1995, and seen the evolution of Photoshop from v1.

I think the work that's been done on Premiere, in particular, has been nothing short of a miracle. The speed and flexibility that real time editing has given cannot be understated. I am a big advocate for the platform. It was a brave decision to do a tear down when they did, and I applaud them for doing so.

I've spent a working lifetime merrily tripping through the various roadblocks, gotchas, platform/hardware performance disparities that inevitably arise developing so complex a product. That's life, in its infinite complexity. I can deal with that. I've poured many hours of my life into testing and evaluating software, in the hope I can help improve things , rather than just point and shout.

But when something like this happens, Adobe really have to understand that the timely communication of release issues should be bound into the Product, and always be 'F1' away, not buried in threads or web pages with broken URLS.

So rather than going through this again, I hope they set up a framework that gives up a heads up, so that we can roll with the punches - rather than being floored with a sucker punch!

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this thread.  Wish I had found it before I started grading a project with 2015. Back to 2014 for me as well.

The fact that this got by Adobe is disturbing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this post after discovering that none of my Speedgrade DirectctLink work done in 2014 is accessible in 2015.

Have to revert to 2014.

The Creative Cloud program's "Previous Versions" section doesn't include Premiere or Speedgrade.

Turns out, its in the bottom section labelled "Find Additional Apps".  To the right is a blue text that said "Flters and Versions".

Clicking that and selecting "Previous Versions" from the dropdown allowed me to see Premiere and SpeedGrade.

Selecting "Install" next to Premiere allowed choosing which version.

Hope this helps someone find it more quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody seeing this fixed in the latest update?

Just tried going back and forth, initially just ungraded in premiere to graded in speedgrade, then went back and forth to premiere to see if the changes remained and didn't reset.

Then started mixing and matching the lumetri controls (only allowed in premiere) and speedgrade layers over the top.

All seems to work for me.

MacPro(2013) w/ D700s, working from a NAS, Yosemite, CC version updates 27/07/2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear. I have a ten foot pole and have begun prodding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe. You have got to be Kidding me.  After 10 minutes testing.... Showstopper. (at least for me)

Speedgrade 2015 Direct Link
GPU acceleration DOES NOT WORK - MAKING IT (STILL) USELESS
2015, iMac

GTX 780M

32gb RAM

Mercury Playback Engine Claims to be on - and functions fine in native mode.

But in Direct Link Mode - it is obvious that is it not functioning. GUI takes minutes to update. Unusable.

If I open same Media (5D3 footage) in 2014 via direct link. It works.

Speechless.

No one uses iMacs to edit footage, do they? So I guess it missed your rigorous testing procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try rolling back CUda Drives to CUDA 7.0.35 , see if that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Breathing again.

Word to the wise. If you are running a Mac 10.10.4, stay on CUDA CUDA 7.0.35

Then all's well.

Don't venture up to CUDA to 7.0.36, unless you want a world of pain.

I can even grade scaled 4k GH4 footage.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks J_Harwood for your report!

I also find that my SG work done via DirectLink in CC 2014 is now visible in CC 2015 July update.  Thank goodness.

To Blabberlicious -- Unfortunately, I still find that masks applied to scaled/translated clips (4k OR HD)  in SG are in the wrong place.

So I still have to use the workaround of doing the scaling on one sequence, then nesting that in another at filnal delievery dimension to which masking grades can be applied.

In my case, the original scaled clips are in  a Multicam sequence that gets nested in the final sequence anyway. So its not so inconvenient.

Any masking gets applied there, and there does not seem to be any truncation problems.. I can pull back detail in a masked area from skies that were blown out after the initial overall grade on the master clips.

Maybe off topic in this thread, but since you brought it up...

Late 2013 MacPro, D700's, Os X 10.10.3

Widget is not in the same place as the masked area.

Mask misplaced in SG CC July 2015.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaled masks are as you describe. It seem to be beyond them to fix.  Funnily enough, I was using 4k in nested Multicam clips too. My problem with that is that you can't apply a grade to a Master Clip, as it gets applied to the whole Multicam sequence. To do that, you need to flatten the multicam tracks, and then SG be applied correctly to master clips. Swings and roundabouts. 

I have a feeling I'll be using PP to to technicals on scaled 4K footage, using internal Lumteri.  Given the new controls, I think 90% of what I do can happen without the pain of going to SG. It's realtime and decent scopes make a big difference.

To match shot to shot, I'm just loading my current Sequence into the Source Monitor then grading in the Program Window.  Quite efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad that's working for you. Masking has been at times a frustrating part of Sg ... and I had the hopes when the Color workspace was announced that we could use the much more relable masking in PrPro ... though I still wish Sg's masking could become totally accurate always.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to confirm - This bug has not been fixed, correct? I am losing all of my layers when I restart Speedgrade.

If I export and XML will that fix the bug?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2015 Aug 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working in the latest update (2015.0.1) you shouldn't be losing your grades forth & back ... just tested a bunch of times moving betwixt & between and it worked as expected. If it isn't for you, would want a bit more info ... OS/CPU/RAM/GPU and the specific version including all final dots of both PrPro & Sg. What type of footage you're working, and maybe a bit of timeline/sequence info.

Neil

edit: I'm PC, and I think the last update did fix the Mac problem also ... but I can't test that. I would note Sg only imports/exports EDL's ... and that works fine for some, problematic for others (like me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fairly certain I am on the most up to date version for OS X. When I open creative cloud, there is no update. Speedgrade does not have an "about speedgrade" option so I cannot check the version number.

I still have the issue. The announcement at the top of the Speedgrade Forum from Adobe suggests to me that the issue has not been resolved.

It is SHOCKING that this was released without Adobe noticing. This is a KEY function of the software. How it got by the testers is beyond me. Either they have ineffective bug testing procedures on the most fundamental level, or they released the software fully aware of the bug.

-Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

You can check the version number from Prefernces>About. (Wrench Icon on the right corner)

It should be 2015.0.1.

Version.PNG

//Vinay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Does Adobe have a site that lists each softwares most up-to-date version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines