• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NTFS or EXFAT for render drive

Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2024 Sep 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not too wise with PC hardware - my past housemate used to support me on that subject.
I keep all my camera footage on an 8TB NTFS HDD with other document types and render to another local drive as I was advised the rendering would be faster like that rather than read/write on the same drive.
Now I'm wondering whether I should set my dedicated 465GB render drive (Crucial BX100 SATA SSD) to NTFS or EXFAT
Any recommendations/difference for best performance? (or is it more about the speed of the HDD drive reading the original 150Mbps multicamera footage?)

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 13, 2024 Sep 13, 2024

My answer to this is simple, in this case. Always NTFS for internal drives. exFAT is better for external USB(-C) drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm wondering whether I should set my dedicated 465GB render drive (Crucial BX100 SATA SSD) to NTFS or EXFAT

By @Liveshots

Use NTFS.

There won´t be any big difference such as use X because its 10 times faster than Y.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've never looked deep into the structures of different disk formats - all I know is that EXFAT supports bigger files than the older FAT32 which is restricted to 4GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've never looked deep into the structures of different disk formats - all I know is that EXFAT supports bigger files than the older FAT32 which is restricted to 4GB.

By @Liveshots

ExFat seems to have a 128 petabyte file size limit while NTFS has 8 petabyte file size limit. (1 petabyte=1000 TB)

I don´t think the 8 petabyte file size limit of NTFS is an issue today. So both file systems will do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola que tal, quizas esto te ayude:
NTFS es más rápido cuando se utiliza en discos duros internos como sistema de archivos en PC con Windows. Mientras que exFAT funciona mejor en dispositivos de almacenamiento externos como USB o discos duros externos.

Harold Silva B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My answer to this is simple, in this case. Always NTFS for internal drives. exFAT is better for external USB(-C) drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines