• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Originally smooth unicolor background shows “steps” in the color gradient when exporting

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Abode Premiere Pro.

I am working on a video which has a static background. The background is almost unicolor with a light color gradient. Please see here:

background.jpg

I want to export the video. The problem is that in the rendered video the background gradient is not smooth. The background shows "steps" in the color gradient. This is specially visible during fade in from a black screen/ fade out to a black screen.

The "step effect" is stronger when I use a low quality or low bitrate output fromat. But even when I use very high quality output format the problem is still visible. And with very high quality I get a filesize of 13 gigabytes for a 15 minute video.

Here are some example settings wich gives a filesize of 1.5 GB. The "step effect" is quite visible.

• 1920x1080
  • length: 15 minutes
  • 25 fps
  • H.264
  • render at maximum depth
  • bitrate encoding: VBR, 2 pass
  • target bitrate: 15 Mbps
  • maximum bitrate: 17 Mbps
  • Use maximum render quqlity
  • resulting file size: 1562 MB

How to solve this problem? How do I get a smooth output and acceptable file sizes? What is the best format, the best codec for this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SusieS,

• How do I get a smooth output and acceptable file sizes? What is the best format, the best codec for this?

As you've already discovered, with gradients can't have both. You need to export an uncompressed video file to avoid banding on gradients—but this has a large file size. If you export H.264, you get a low file size but banding occurs.

Answer: avoid gradients...

Sorry.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this and see if you get more acceptable results:

Apply the Noise effect to the gradient by a slight amount - an Amount of Noise value between 5 and 8.5%.

Turn off render at maximum bit depth, and use maximum render quality.

To a test export and see if you have improved results.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem could be that your original footage gradient is higher than 8 bits. for example, the problem still would exist even if you exported to a full uncompressed 8 bit codec like quicktime png or animation. in which case, compressing only makes it more apparent, but compression doesn't in itself cause banding as there is actually 3 types of banding.

1. luma banding from 8 bit source stepping, 256 discreet values cannot cover the luminance range information

2. 4:2:0 chroma compression and color artifacts around contrasting colors

3. artifact compression loss from low bitrate by bits/pixel encoding

you can try exporting a 8 bit uncompressed quicktime png, then import again and apply neatvideo to remove the color and/or luma noise. finally export to a h.264/h.265 from media encoder not quicktime h.264

and btw, increasing noise, increases relative file size storage quality by 20%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! Where do you mean to apply the Noise effect? In Premiere, or in the programme where the gradient image is made?

I am having the same problem with my background

Greetings, and thnx!

Rowin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines