• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Pro runs system out of application memory (CC 2014 & CC 2015 on OS X)

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2014 Nov 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I edited about a 20 minute clip of video, the memory consumption of Premiere Pro CC 2014 on my MacBook Pro (Core i7, 16GB memory, 500GB SSD with 150GB free, Yosemite) grew and grew. Now, when I open the project, Premiere Pro immediate consumes 30GB of memory! Which means that opening my project now takes about 15 minutes (the blank Premiere application appears in about 2 minutes, but the panels do not complete their slow fill-in for another 13 minutes - all the while the cursor is spinning, not allowing me to select anything, and activity Monty tells me that Premiere is unresponsive). Worse still, when I try to export my project, memory usage grows above 60GB, until my system gives up and reports "Your System has run out of application memory". Keep in mind that I been careful to reboot the system, reset PRAM, and run nothing significant except Premiere, Activity Monitor and Finder. I have Optimized for Memory in preferences, and even tried Limiting Memory usage to 8GB (even though this refers to RAM, not VM).

I monitor Premiere steadily gobbling up resources as VM usage and Memory Pressure increase. I understand that the proximal cause of the error message is probably an excessive number of page faults triggered by the massive memory hogging by Premiere. However, the root cause is Premiere using so much memory.

My 1920x1080 project timeline and bin contain .MTS files (from AVCHD footage), .mpg files (converted via ffmpeg from .TOD files), One EPS graphic, Five .PNG graphics from PowerPoint, One Title, and less than 10 audio files extracted for editing in Audition.

When the export begins, Premiere estimates about 1 hour to encode my timeline. After about 35 minutes, Premier has used up over 60GB of VM which causes Yosemite to report an error, and pause the application.

One solution I suppose is to tell Premier to stop buffering so much content. I have a fast SSD with over 100GB remaining at the time of error, and I can live with the export taking an hour longer if some artifacts are left on disk.

Is there a way to tell Premiere to load less into Virtual Memory?

Message was edited by: Kevin Monahan

Reason: needed more descriptive title

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

In File/Project Settings/Generel under "Video Rendering and Playback" switch the renderer from "Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (Open CL)" to "Software Only".

It will be a slower render but at least it should render. Works for me anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Scott,

This may have something to do with a new pref. Can you check Preferences > Media and see if you can disable accelerated Intel h.264 decoding (requires restart)? If you don't have that option, let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t have that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about that. I thought it was related. Any third party effects?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No plug-ins on the sections of the timelines that were being exported.

One open timeline had FX Factory’s Crumplepop EchoRemover audio plug-in on a couple of clips (audio already rendered).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here, on a late 2013 Yosemite (I had this error running CC 2015 on Maveriks too which led me to the Yosemite update) 3,5 ghz i7 iMac with 32 GB of ram, NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. I am editing a 30 minute long comp shot in 3 cameras and after only 10 - 15 minutes of editing I get the "System has run out of application memory" error. I tried changing the Mercury Playback Engine to both OpenCL and CUDA - still got the error. I could not try to edit while on Software Only because with some filters on it was too slow for my needs, and I couldn't meet my deadline. While I got the error, the Activity Monitor showed Premiere Pro CC 2015 using about 29 GB of my Physical memory, with huge swap files - over 60 GB, and in some other cases it showed Premiere Pro CC 2015 using about 17 GB, the rest (up to 32 GB) being used by the kernel_task. I don't run anything else other than Premiere Pro when I am editing and my system drive (that holds the swap, cache, etc) has over 550 GB free space. Besides having this error, I feel the system is a lot less responsive than it was a couple of months ago (although nothing else changed, besides the CC and OSX update) - when I play the 1080p sequence I am working on (simple cuts, with a Warp Stabilizer and a color correction filter on some of the clips) the moment the play head reaches a cut the image in the program view window starts to drop frames, and it even freezes sometimes. This is very annoying as not such a long time ago Premiere Pro was running quite smoothly on this system, working on similar sequences with similar amounts of data involved. What could be responsible for this memory leak issue - a Premiere Pro bug, an OS bug, both? Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there Dinu,

Same thing here, on a late 2013 Yosemite (I had this error running CC 2015 on Maveriks too which led me to the Yosemite update) 3,5 ghz i7 iMac with 32 GB of ram, NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. I am editing a 30 minute long comp shot in 3 cameras and after only 10 - 15 minutes of editing I get the "System has run out of application memory" error. I tried changing the Mercury Playback Engine to both OpenCL and CUDA - still got the error. I could not try to edit while on Software Only because with some filters on it was too slow for my needs, and I couldn't meet my deadline. While I got the error, the Activity Monitor showed Premiere Pro CC 2015 using about 29 GB of my Physical memory, with huge swap files - over 60 GB, and in some other cases it showed Premiere Pro CC 2015 using about 17 GB, the rest (up to 32 GB) being used by the kernel_task. I don't run anything else other than Premiere Pro when I am editing and my system drive (that holds the swap, cache, etc) has over 550 GB free space. Besides having this error, I feel the system is a lot less responsive than it was a couple of months ago (although nothing else changed, besides the CC and OSX update) - when I play the 1080p sequence I am working on (simple cuts, with a Warp Stabilizer and a color correction filter on some of the clips) the moment the play head reaches a cut the image in the program view window starts to drop frames, and it even freezes sometimes. This is very annoying as not such a long time ago Premiere Pro was running quite smoothly on this system, working on similar sequences with similar amounts of data involved. What could be responsible for this memory leak issue - a Premiere Pro bug, an OS bug, both? Thank you for your time.

I understand and apologize for the bad behavior. Please check out my post for potential workarounds.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2015 Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Thank you for your fast answer. I wanted to chime in to confirm that in my case the memory leak was related to the "Sync settings" - turned Syncing off, followed Rob's advice from the link you shared and everything seems to be running fine now - memory usage is back to normal, no more errors and Premiere does run better.

Appreciate the support!

Have a great day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your fast answer. I wanted to chime in to confirm that in my case the memory leak was related to the "Sync settings" - turned Syncing off, followed Rob's advice from the link you shared and everything seems to be running fine now - memory usage is back to normal, no more errors and Premiere does run better.

Appreciate the support!

Have a great day

No problem! Thanks for reporting back.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here on PC / Win 7 pro / SP1 / 16GB RAM / Nvidia GTX90 dual SLI - BUT ONLY since upgrading to PP CC 2015, it never happened in PP CC 2014

I get a few minutes editing done and then this;

Nvidia OpenGL Driver error.JPG

I have checked with the makers site and I am running the latest drivers.

This to me looks like an issue brought about by PP CC 2015 and looks like I'm being forced to buy more memory - possibly even change my GPU.

I too am suffering latency and performance issues so badly I went and bought a replacement keyboard and mouse set - only to find it hasn't improved anything.

This machine is purely for editing and minor graphics manipulation so it doesn't have MS office, email or anything on it.

While editing I rarely have any other programmes open, least ways from now on it's not really an option I can afford - so everything else gets shut off.

Not too happy at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scuba Badger,

Same issue here on PC / Win 7 pro / SP1 / 16GB RAM / Nvidia GTX90 dual SLI - BUT ONLY since upgrading to PP CC 2015, it never happened in PP CC 2014

Sorry this happened to you. The focus of this thread is memory leaks in OS X versions of Premiere Pro CC 2014 and Premiere Pro CC 2015. Since you have a Windows machine and different behavior, you should create a new thread with all your details. I found this doc from NVIDIA, but the fix is related to updating drivers and you said you already did that. Therefore, I would like to focus in your GPU memory issue specifically, so I look forward to assisting you on that new thread.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin

I've taken this to a PC Users thread...: Premiere Pro causes your system to run out of memory (PC Users)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've taken this to a PC Users thread...: Premiere Pro causes your system to run out of memory (PC Users)

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2015 Jul 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Lumetri scopes, and updating my CUDA driver in system preferences seems to have helped. Be sure to reboot after each step. Can't really say if it was one or the other or both but things seem to be running smoothly again. However, in my activity monitor it still shows Premiere eating up a ton of ram, about the same as when I was getting the out of memory error message. Will continue to report back with any significant findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Lumetri scopes, and updating my CUDA driver in system preferences seems to have helped. Be sure to reboot after each step. Can't really say if it was one or the other or both but things seem to be running smoothly again. However, in my activity monitor it still shows Premiere eating up a ton of ram, about the same as when I was getting the out of memory error message. Will continue to report back with any significant findings.

Great news! Thanks for letting us know.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Kevin'

i tried all of the above solutions but nothing is working..

will there be an official update in the near future or will we have to use the workarounds?

The problem appeared out of nowhere and was not directly connected to the update from cc 2014 to cc 2015, so it has to be something within premiere pro that has suddently caused the memory glitch..

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2015 Jul 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to tag on to what seems like a pretty widespread problem, I have also tried all of the solutions posted and none work.

I'm trying to edit a simple 3 minute time lapse and cannot render or export. I can start the render and watch in Activity Monitor as Premiere's memory usage climbs from 1gb to around 60gb and 60gb compressed before it pauses and I get the "system has run out of application memory" error.

Like the OP, I'm running a Core i7, 16GB memory, 500GB SSD with 150GB free, Yosemite. I had no similar issues on similar projects in CC 2014 and had success with one or two under CC 2015 before this became a chronic problem over the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason, You are right !

Since CC2015 memory usage is creaping up during encoding (exporting direct or via AME).

I have 32 Gb internal memory and after 2 hours of rendering the you have to close down PPCC2015.

I did not have this problem on Adobe CC2014 !

There must be a serious bug.\

I am considering to purchase Powerdirector 13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Jason, You are right !

Since CC2015 memory usage is creaping up during encoding (exporting direct or via AME).

I have 32 Gb internal memory and after 2 hours of rendering the you have to close down PPCC2015.

I did not have this problem on Adobe CC2014 !

There must be a serious bug.\

I am considering to purchase Powerdirector 13.

Sounds like you have a PC but you are experiencing a similar issue as Jason's. Tell us more about your computer, GPU, etc. Also, let us know which formats were causing the memory issues or if it happens with all formats.

Thanks for helping out on tracking down this bug.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

I'm trying to edit a simple 3 minute time lapse and cannot render or export. I can start the render and watch in Activity Monitor as Premiere's memory usage climbs from 1gb to around 60gb and 60gb compressed before it pauses and I get the "system has run out of application memory" error.

Which format were you trying to export? What kind of Mac and which GPU were you using?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I'm running a late-2013 MacBook Pro 15-inch, Retina, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB, Core i7, 16GB memory, 1TB SSD with 150GB free, Yosemite.

I was attempting to export Quicktime format, HD1080i.

Thanks much, hope we can zero in on a fix!

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

I have almost the same system except I have the NVIDIA 650M. I tried exporting ProRes 1080i, but saw no memory leaks. Was it ProRes you were exporting?

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Apologies, I was using H.264 as the codec.

I was initially applying Warp Stabilizer and a third-party flicker remover to the clip, but dropped these out to see if they were the cause and it made no difference. I eventually got the sequence to render, but only by replacing the original clip I was working with (13GB H.264) with a smaller one. I could still watch the memory usage climb to what seemed like disproportionately high levels, but the render would finish before it maxed out.

Thanks again,

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the added info.

• This is a 1080i H.264 clip? That sounds odd.
    • Is that for Blu-ray?
    • I can't think of why you'd add interlacing otherwise.
  • You say the encoding would work
    • If you swapped out the 13 GB source footage file with a shorter footage file
    • However the memory usage was still climbing and not maxed out

I have seen more cases where users had no trouble encoding until near the end of the job. Perhaps they are also running out of memory, as you are. I will see if I can reproduce the case and make sure a bug is filed. Thanks again for the info. Please let me know if there's anything else you find out.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

Honestly, no reason for the interlacing - it's the only 1080 preset under QuickTime and the time lapses I'm working on are just for home display on my TV for now.

And yes, the memory usage seemed to climb at a slow-but-steady pace, a few tenths of an MB at a time, so it would seem at the beginning that there was no impact on the render or encoding (happened during both activities), but then as the memory started becoming full, the render/encode would slow, the memory usage would continue to climb, and typically when the render/encode was around 90% to 95% complete, the memory would run out.

Thanks again, I'll also try recreating on my side with different formats and codecs and see what happens.

Jason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactely what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines