Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 15 edit/rename/delete captions master style

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

i really like the new captions workflow. But i can't figure out how to manage master styles.

I created a new style, edited it to my preferred settings, added a new caption field and suddenly all captions changed and looked like at the time when i created my master style. I had to create yet another master style that includes all my changes and they stayed after adding a new caption field. Got it!

I now have a master style i can't delete, edit or rename that i will never use.

I'd also like to export the master style so my colleages can use them.

I looked in the user folders if i can find the file where the master styles are stored but couldn't find it...

How can i get rid of the obsolete master style?

Stay save!

Timo

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

These text styles are saved with the Project. Look in the Project Panel. Right click and you can "clear" (delete) the style.

You can also right click and Export the text style (a .prtextstyle extension).

And in the Project Panel, right click -> Import and that file type is supported.

If you rename the style file outside PR, it is an independent style, but imports with the original name. You can change the name once in PR to something different.

I do not see a way to "save" a style once i

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not intuitive, you have to create your master style in the essential graphics tab.

This will cause an icon with the new style to appear in your project, you can change the name as you want ... 

then you can export it from the project to your desktop and then import it into a new project 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. My Premiere Pro is set to german, so i don't know how the functions are called in english. In the beta it was called master style, in the final it seems to be called track style.

What i did:

I have created track styles that i won't use again because once created there doesn't seem to be a way to edit or delete them.

I also don't know what you mean by "this will cause an icon [...] to appear in your project,". Where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While your answer turned out to be correct, i didn't understand it until Stan Jones explained it. I couldn't see the presets apperaring in my project, becouse they somehow where hidden in a subfolder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These text styles are saved with the Project. Look in the Project Panel. Right click and you can "clear" (delete) the style.

You can also right click and Export the text style (a .prtextstyle extension).

And in the Project Panel, right click -> Import and that file type is supported.

If you rename the style file outside PR, it is an independent style, but imports with the original name. You can change the name once in PR to something different.

I do not see a way to "save" a style once it is updated. It will still sync back to the original.

Still playing with this...

The new caption help page is already up:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.htm...

But this information is not there!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reviewed my 3/10/21 post and updated it. I don't think anything has changed, but I understand it better and omitted some important information previously. Here is the caption help page, but some of this information is not there.
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.html

Caption Track Styles are saved in the Project file (.prproj) unless they are also exported. Accordingly, they are active only within a single project at a time. They are located, with the name you give them, in the Project Panel for that project.

Share with Other Projects: To share multiple styles over multiple projects (or to share with other users), I recommend @Matt Young's method: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/saving-caption-subtitle-quot-style-quot-for-....

This can be done by exporting multiple styles (in one export), then dragging that file to the Project Panel for a new project. For an occasional share with another project, you can also open the second project and copy/paste one or multiple styles from one project panel to the other.

• Delete a style: In the Project Panel, right-click and "clear" (delete) the style.
  • Rename a style: In the Project Panel, left-click the style twice (not a double-click) and the name will be selected. Edit.
  • Export a style: In the Project Panel, right-click and Export the text style. You can save it anywhere on your computer. It is a .prtextstyle extension.
  • Export multiple styles: Select multiple styles in the Project Panel, right-click, and pick Export. They are exported in one file named “Text Styles.prtextstyle”. You can rename this file during export.
  • Import a style: 1) Via Project Panel, right-click -> Import and that file type is supported. 2) Drag and drop from Windows Explorer to the Project Panel. 3) Via Media Browser, select and import. Modifying a style and then importing a style with the same name creates a renamed version of the style, perhaps with a bin for related styles. This needs more testing, but the better practice is to avoid importing duplicate styles.
  • Rename an exported style file: If you rename the exported style FILE outside PR, the styles it imports will have the same name and settings as when exported. You can change the name once in PR to something different.
  • Rename a style in an exported file: You can change one or more style names by editing the exported style file in a text editor. Find the <StyleProjectItem> tag, and change the values in the <Name> tag.
  • Update a style: In the Essential Graphics Panel, make a change in the settings, and click the “Push to Track or Style” button. A box pops up that allows you to push to “All captions on track” or “Style in Project.” If you pick “All captions on track,” it does NOT update the style itself. If you pick “Style in Project,” it updates the style itself.
  • Update a previously exported style file: To update a previously exported style FILE, you must re-export. You can overwrite the old file or make a new name to keep both.

Note: I thought there were some settings that could not be applied to a Track Style. But I did not find them today, testing in PR 23.1.0. I tested Zone, Horizontal position, Horizontal size; Paragraph left, mid, right etc; Italics; Font family and subtype; 2 Strokes, 2 Shadows.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my comment here for new solution:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-install-import-prtextstyle-in-premier...

----------
Become so undeniably good that you give your imposter syndrome an inferiority complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2023 Dec 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Tony Zed,

Project Templates are relatively new, and this is a good way to use them.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines