• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2018 constantly crashing

Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to 2018 and it keeps crashing. Completely random but enough for it to drive me up the wall.

Windows 10

Dell XPS 15 4K - intel i7 7th gen - 32 gb ram

Editing GH5 10bit FHD long GOP clips, Mavic drone and GoPro .mov and .mp4

No other apps open

Tried both CUDA and software only

Cache files deleted

Only once has it come back with a crash report (I was using legacy titles) and it sent me to a completely random forum thread. The rest of the time it just hangs in the middle of an action, which could be anything from slicing a clip to changing the tool. In a ten hour day it crashes at least ten times. Sometimes after  opening the package after crashing it crashes again immediately, but sometimes not.

Whilst I've been having problems with Premiere Pro running properly on my XPS, it didn't crash like this in version 2017. This is new to 2018.

Anything else I can add to assist with bug-testing?

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Been offline since my last post until recently but many of my problems have been resolved by the latest version that came out a week or two ago. Pr is not crashing anymore, in particular when trimming clips, which would almost guarantee a crash.

The other thing I did was buy an external SSD (Samsung T5) and this has helped significantly.

Pr is still slowing down when I start layering multiple 10 bit or 4K files. One strategy I'm using is to do adjustment layers and text last because they really sl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already disabled CUDA. What's 'metal'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You change OpenCL/Metal it in your Project settings (in short - graphics processing).

Deleted CUDA (was running metal already), still no pictures in my sequence on startup (Media pending/or Source/Program windows stay blank - forever!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it really that disabling CUDA will solve our problems here?

I've been experimenting with each renderer, and am finding I experience crashes in all of them.

The mainstay of crashes occur when I am simply adjusting the in and out point of a clip on the timeline (Dragging the ends). Link below is to my own troubleshooting query on the forums:

Premiere Pro 2018 Crash Report

I'm interested if folks see better results with Metal or OpenCL. Software Renderer is really not an efficient way to work if using lots of effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It must be system specific.  It worked in my case... but I'm on an older MacPro with NVIDIA GeForce Ti cards.  I don't have the "Metal" option on this machine even, so that suggestion by support was not warranted.  Disabling CUDA solved my issues but depending on your OS & hardware it might be totally different.

Support logged into my machine via Bomgar and opened up Console to mine for Premiere specific crash logs (which I had already forwarded them) and to their POV, all the crashes could be traced back to CUDA.

They defended 2018 at first, saying I needed to contact NVIDIA and check my drivers, but this system is all up to date.  In Adobe Supports follow up with me this morning I let them know the only un-common denominator was 2018 vs. 2017.  They said they're getting a lot of similar reports to that effect.  But be a bug that effects things differently or various bugs as I suggested in another post on this topic I started.

Contact support (chat works well) today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you disable CUDA on Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been killing mine with the TM at least 2-0 times a day. I start a new project and it works fine for about 1 day then it's all over

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update is WELL OVERDUE what is going on Adobe! Put your skates on

Mine has been terrible crashing today. Initially I did remove an old plug in and it helped but the problem still is crashing randomly. Everything on my computer is now updated and all plugins should be 2018 compatible.

Also, using the program is sluggish. I have a top spec iMac and just shortcut selects on my keyboard pauses.

Come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a common crash where Premiere freezes and closes when trimming clips or moving them in the timeline.

Try disabling GPU rendering and switch to software only.

Try closing the Metadata window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on a Mac on 10.12.6

It is a true horror. Cant work with it at all...

Thought perhaps it would be a Mac thing and that adobe can't handle OS X anymore. But since you're having this on Windows then it just appears that adobe can't handle it anymore.

The ever increasing unreliability of their software is a pain and at EUR 49 per month one would think they could afford to write better code. Before they went subscription their software was really good. Now they just take the money and care zero about quality....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had Premiere crash on me constantly and a lot of time when its just sitting open, no computer use. Started with 2018 update, first on a 2017 iMac 5k, and now still on a brand new 2017 iMac 5k. 

Crashed Thread:        21  Dispatch queue: com.apple.root.utility-qos

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really hard to know what your problem is without more info, but a lot of the time that Premiere crashes, the problem can be fixed by one of these:

Version - there’s a bug in the version you’re running, which may have been fixed in later versions. Always double-check the Creative Cloud app.

Trashing Preferences - your preferences are corrupted.

Codec - your system doesn’t like the preview codec. Easy to change.

Plug-ins - you’ve got a plugin that’s causing issues. Deactivate them to see if that’s the issue.

GPU - try switching rendering off the GPU.

I/O Devices - try disconnecting any I/O devices you have.

Hard Drives - make sure you’re using a hard drive that’s fast enough for your footage.

File Formats - try transcoding your source footage to a good intermediate codec.

RAM - try freeing up RAM used by other software.

It’s too much to paste in here, but this article gives a deep dive and explains more about each of those issues and how to fix them:

https://blog.frame.io/2017/11/13/common-premiere-pro-crashes/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been offline since my last post until recently but many of my problems have been resolved by the latest version that came out a week or two ago. Pr is not crashing anymore, in particular when trimming clips, which would almost guarantee a crash.

The other thing I did was buy an external SSD (Samsung T5) and this has helped significantly.

Pr is still slowing down when I start layering multiple 10 bit or 4K files. One strategy I'm using is to do adjustment layers and text last because they really slow things down, as does warpalising. My timeframe still stalls by the end of one of my projects (normally 15mins in length, made up of 10bit and 4K footage) so it's easier to render a sequence rather than trying to play it, which is still a pain, but at least it's not crashing any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, at least for what I needed today. -I was having the same issues- random freeze, force quit, then couldn't even import media without freezing. Updated to latest version and restarted, still no change. I cleared my preferences and plug-in cache which got me through my session with no problems. Not sure if I had to clear the cache but I did both at the same time. Hopefully it keeps up and I don't have to do this every time I need to edit.

Hold down Option (alt) and Shift while launching Pr until the splash screen. This will clear preferences and plug-in cache. Your list of previous projects should be clear if done correctly.

To clear preferences only- just hold down Option (alt) while launching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dell XPS 15, PPro2018... Every time I press enter to render it crashes the entire computer...  Turing off CUDA in the project settings resolves this but turns the previews to trash and renders sooo slow...  I dont really understand how turning off CUDA is considered to be a workaround, I paid $2000 for a spec'd out pc and $50/month for a reason, if I wanted this junk I could use an HP from 5 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problems here....trying to render my files and it keeps crashing. Did not had any problems until today....please Adobe..do something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem - I hope Adobe is paying attention... something tells me they are, they just have not found the fix and don't want to make it too public that this is a serious ongoing issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere was working fine last week when I did a small job.  Fired up today and the app gets as far as the splash screen then the tiny text says "Initializing Application" then the splash disappears and never shows the work screen.  Go into Task manager and look at apps, Premiere 2018 is showing up as a background app but wont actually display.  This zombie version also prevents any other instance of the program from running.  So, i look in the Creative Cloud and find that there's an update.  i install the latest version and get exactly the same behavior.

Going on previous crash upon crash upon crash situations, i downloaded the latest driver from Asus for my ROG notebook.  I booted to safe mode, cleaned the previous driver out with DDU, booted back to live mode and installed the latest Nvidea driver.

Predictably, Premiere would not launch.

i then proceeded to uninstall 2018 and install 2017.  A s a reward for all of my efforts, I received nothing.  Premiere 2017 displayed the exact same issue as 2018. 

I need to finish a project this weekend or I won't be able to do anything with it for a whole nother week so thanks to a post on another thread, I took some advice and installed Blackmagic Resolve 14 for free and after a small issue with my windows page file size (uppped to 9GB from 6GB)  I have a fully operational video editor!  Thanks Blackmagic!!!!!!

Honestly, if you're a professional, I don't know how you cope with buggy software like Premiere!  From what I've seen here, there's lots of unhappy customers.  Anyway, my answer to the problem posted by the OP is Blackmagic 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent the last hour with an Adobe support technician who remotely tried to fix my system. Waste of time, I‘m afraid.

• CUDA playback on full screen via Mercury stutters then freezes.
  • Random crashes (even happened to the technician during remote session)
  • When I ALT TAB to another application and back into Premiere, timeline frozen. Have to wait a few minutes before it comes back to life.
  • Generally slower and less responsive on the timeline

Seriously Adobe just be honest and tell us that something went haywire in the last update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHAT? @adobe does not say nothing about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From everything I've seen on this and a couple other forums, there are clearly some random crashing issues past 'normal'. Trying to apply basic troubleshooting 101 on the users who've posted, I don't see a common thread ... and realistically, it seems for many having this it's not constant but random. They do X with 15 clips, fine. Come back the next day, rework them ... one clip, BOOM. Buh-bye!

Reopen, all is normal. Then something else ... BOOM. Buh-bye!

Would drive anyone nuts.

The one place I'm actually wondering ... the last couple OS releases, Apple has really rebuilt their underlying video code stuff ... and MS did that with Win10 Creator. I'd heard from a couple editors in large shops who'd been on the phone with upper tech from MS when every machine in their shop went phoeey in PrPro, and were told that they should take their entire shop back to like 'enterprise version 1607' or something like that as there are problems that MS is currently working on resolving that only affect heavy-duty computations with video subsystems & code involved.

So I'd been avoiding the update, but ... while working on Wednesday afternoon in PrPro, I got a 2-second dialog "Windows has suffered an error and needs to restart" ... BOOM, instant shut down. Instant restarting also ... BIOS screen, then blue screen "Windows is applying updates, this will take longer than normal and involve several restarts, do not turn off your machine" ... and yea, it was updating me to Creator.

Forty five minutes later, it finally opened to actually use. But all the video apps were screwy. Even VLC. In PrPro, and I've several versions installed ... none of them showed the workspaces bar. Reset to saved layout ... BOOM! ... immediate complete crash of machine, just stopped shut down. After rebooting and just doing this for a while in frustration, I got a PrPro hang but NOT a crash of Windows OS.

A couple days of just trying to redo things, poking the box, and ... I'm back to fairly stable operations in the Video apps.

But that mess wasn't Adobe ... it was MS in nature.

And seeing the threads on the forum here ... the last 2-3 Mac updated OS's also caused a ton of issues.

None of which makes me too confident. I just hope that the OS producers get together with the app producers a bit better on these things, I think that would solve some of the issues.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has recently started happening to me in Davinci Resolve as well, which is a bit worrying... Ive done every diagnostic test and cant find anything wrong, im at a complete loss here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be the OS.  I have three win 7 machines, Dells, no issues, yet.  In fact, it's been smooth sailing for over three years.  2018 is doing well.

Win 7 sp1 extended support will be dropping in 2020.  Mobile (linux core systems) is on the rise.  This problem may resolve itself in hardware due to market dropping PCs.  After that, it'll be brain chips and optical eyes with zoom attachments.  You'll just think the edits through then wireless the results to the "mother" board.

I would be carefully about doing a complete switch, without first doing some homework and cruising the forums. 

Seriously.  One thing that has remained constant for me is Dell precision, with spinning Raptor drives.  Win 7 sp1.  Only 16 Gigs of ram.

However, the ram on the precisions is buffered. With two Gigs matched to each core on the Dual Xeno chips. Very important.

Security patches only.  No junkware.  Norton for antivirus.  Only other apps I have are MS Office, Rhino 3d , Lightwave 3D 11.6 and camtasia 8.1.

I only work with MXF wrapped video in native templates/timelines.  uncompressed WAV, tiff and PSD.  No conforms.  No dynamic linking between apps.  I use them independently.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works ok on my other laptop that is Windows 10...and three other machines we have. Minor things have never worked like different work settings...nothing shows up on color, or edit settings...have to use assemble.

Anyway. I turned off the video card assist and i can do minor edits without crashing. So bummed on Adobe. They are horrible at the software game.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyway. I turned off the video card assist

Which card are you using?  Google it to see if there's a common issue.  Replace it if so.

Does it have the latest driver?  If yes.  Did it work before?  If yes, rollback to what worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11 crashes within 3hrs.

12.01 update random crashes

12.00 gave me random graphical glitches that had been reported by others

Working with the usual Sony A7s codecs as usual, on macOS 10.13.3, iMac 2013 - haven't had any problems before.

The thing that's driving me nuts is that it's totally random.

- double clicked on a nested item - CRASH

- adjusted the length of some audio - CRASH

- trimmed a clip - CRASH

iMac Pro arriving next week, so i'll be eagerly testing the latest version on this newer system - but there shouldn't be any problems running on my 2013 iMac.

Stepping way back to version CC 2017

Please Adobe, justify the ever-rising subscription fee and stop these interruptions in so many peoples workflows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines