Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

premiere pro 23.0 doesnt use GPU takes CPU to 100%

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what worse is that when i change resoulution in timeline to 1\4 or 1\8 resolution tha elagging gets worse.

i have NVIDIA RTX 2080 SUPER and 32 giga ram DDR4 Intel core I5 6600.

TOPICS
Editing , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

It is very likely that your CPU is severely underpowered for any type of 4k video editing whatsoever. In fact, a seven-year-old quad-core CPU that is only capable of single-threading (as in it completely lacks hyper threading) is barely suitable for even 1080p video work these days.

And due to the design of all video editing programs, Premiere Pro must consume a certain minimum amount of CPU processing power before it can utilize the GPU at all. Otherwise, all NLE programs - Premiere included -

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more information about the problem you are having. Please update your post, following the information here: How do I write a bug report?

Regards,

Fergus

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there is nothing real i can add. the footage is 4K from sony a6400 with no plugins and the problem is more when there are 2 layers of clips one over the other.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very likely that your CPU is severely underpowered for any type of 4k video editing whatsoever. In fact, a seven-year-old quad-core CPU that is only capable of single-threading (as in it completely lacks hyper threading) is barely suitable for even 1080p video work these days.

And due to the design of all video editing programs, Premiere Pro must consume a certain minimum amount of CPU processing power before it can utilize the GPU at all. Otherwise, all NLE programs - Premiere included - will choke.

As it is turning out, the i5-6600 is not quite powerful enough to even run any newer version of Premiere Pro properly. Worse, Intel driver support for that CPU and all other 6th-through-10th Generation CPUs has recently been depreciated into Legacy status.

And the fact that the RTX 2080 SUPER GPU that you have is seriously overqualified for your CPU is not helping matters even one iota.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thans forthe answer.
so what is the recommended CPU or what should i change?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I do not think your CPU is the problem. I am facing the same problem with Premiere 2022 and 2023; to the point where editing is not possible. Even with proxies (cineform low quality), the timeline takes longer to play than without them. Something is very very wrong with the latest updates.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also place some of the blame on the Microsoft Windows ecosystem itself. The way Windows updates work, it allows many of the old system files which clash severely with newer system files to remain in the system. This will result in performance issues and sometimes stability issues even when running ordinary programs.

And as part of my previous reply implied, Intel is now no longer maintaining mainstream support for any of its hardware that's even three years old, let alone seven years old.

So, all told, everybody in the tech industry is to blame. Planned obsolescence is definitely in play here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rj. PPro 2021 works insanely fast on the same Windows machine. Windows updates (whilst I agree, they are messy) are not the problem here. 2022 and 2023 are insanely slow and buggy in my experience.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Adobe is not alone in this. Intel literally put a gun to every software companies' heads by dictating them to partially or completely discontinue support for all hardware that's more than 18 months (1.5 years) old.

By the way, 2021 ran abysmally sluggishly on my current rig compared to even 2022, let alone 2023. Old versions of Premiere Pro may not work properly on any newer hardware because of their required features that newer hardware now no longer supports at all.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So what you're saying is people shouldn't bother buying Adobe products unless their hardware is less than 1.5 years old? I'm running an intel i9-9900k and an RTX 2080. No other program I use has caused anywhere near as many problems as Adobe's.

I cannot find anything about this intel statement online, and I find it very hard to believe.

If it *is* true, I guess 90% of us can cancel our subscriptions and... what? Switch to different programs which have no problems at all? Or resort to piracy as Adobe is removing older versions of the programs?

You do realise Adobe has a reputation for releasing broken and buggy software versions, right?

This attitude of "Can't be our fault that our programs are slow and buggy" is just boring at this point. I am so fed up with Adobe's broken and buggy mess.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an i9-9900k and still have the same problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines