• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2019 randomly crashing when importing footage

Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest version through the subscription, Win 10 i9 9900k 32GB RAM. This is infuriating. Literally about a 25% chance to crash on choosing import. Sick of paying money just to be slapped in the face with losing work through your unstable —. Jesus christ already.

Moderator Warning: Please do not use profanity. It is against community guidelines.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The horse is stable. The horse either does not like where it's caching the files OR the horse does not like one or several of the files you are trying to import.

1- Where is your cache folder located? Change it's location. Please share your storage configuration.
2- You probably have some corrupted files. Import one by one to single out the culprit. (If changing the Cache location does not help)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has nothing to do with the files, The app crashes on trying to create the explorer window before you even get to selecting anything to import. THis was happening also on my old system, this i9 is a new system built within the last 2 weeks. And please, claiming Premiere is stable is a joke. Ever since they went the sub model, we've essentially been getting beta releases shipped out to us and the user base are now the beta testers. Gone are the days of actually nailing down a pretty rock solid release for package of brand new versions. Taking a look through forums where actual professional industry editors like to talk shop will enlighten you to how "stable" Premiere is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the latest Intel GPU drivers (from their website)? There's been a bunch crashes related to older Intel GPU drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all the updated Intel drivers for anything to do with my Motherboard as this system was just built 2 weeks ago (And this import issue extended into the old system too). To be clear, the app crashes upon attempting to open an Explorer window to find the file to import, not when importing a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange - is there something non-typical about your windows installations or files in the default explorer open location that might be related? I just opened the file import window on my windows machine about 20 times without any issue whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Media Browser  ... right-clicking on the main Project  panel ... what are you specifically doing to ingest files?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, this has happened both through just double clicking within a bin or right clicking to select import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just trying to understand your situation  ... what type of drives and connections,  what ie the media and gmhow uploaded to the computer?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure the drive setup is relevant being it's the Explorer window opening that crashes the app, but regardless I have an m2 where I put footage, an ssd for cache, ssd for OS, 2 other internal HDD 7200 drives.where I may have footage 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That window is trying to access the drives as it opens. There have been others where drive issues especially permissions were the cause of such crashes. Also,  there have been crashes of that window when trying to connect with flash cards or thumb drives.

Just trying the step by step of Basic Troubleshooting 101.

So ... asking about drive connections. I recall a Mac user quite some time ago that had permission issues specifically related to allowing or disallowing apps somehow pop up. Pr trying to access one major subfolder tree on one of his drives would crash his app. Not an expert on folder permissions on the Mac and don't understand why but after finding and resetting that setting all was fine.

The media on those drives  ... ?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I can't tell you in which folder location the Explorer window would have opened up into the last time it crashed. Just now though I used the import command to navigate to various drives and import random things from each drive and it was fine. So I don't think it's anything to do with drive or folder permissions. One thing I was considering especially on my last system build was low RAM being available at the time since I only had 16gb, but this has 32 and it still did it. I don't know what to tell you, truly seems random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you try to drag and drop footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed some erratic behaviour with the import function as well. I don't know what's causing it, but I do know the following:

Although it may seem like PPro is unresponsive, it may take upto 5 minutes, but usually the app comes back...

Alternatively, instead of using the CTRL/CMD+I button to import footage, navigate to the folder on your drive using the Media Browser panel.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try the first normal stuff to go for like trashing the preferences and cleaning your media cache?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos not on this go around because the system is so new and the cache only contains things from one project. I don't see how it could be an issue. But not sure what cache would have to do with an Explorer window hanging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cache files are often causes of odd behavior, it takes a moment to delete them, and is a standard trouble-shooting 101 action. Ergo ... it's always a good thing off the bat to trash all cache/preview files. MANY odd things stop happening.

Also, some files can contain things that seem to Pr as "corruption" and it can hang because of that. So ... the media involved could be an issue. Another user with 'hang' issues on importing recently found that two files were the cause ... all the other media imported correctly, but if those two files were in a folder, as soon as Pr was directed to that folder it crashed.

Having seen this be caused by quite a few seemingly different scenarios over the last few years, it's just something one has to troubleshoot through.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on late 2013 27" iMac running Mojave

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

32 GB 1600 MHz DD

Adobe runs great but will crash when I miss-click a file and it accidentally opens the import window. Pin wheel of death 50% of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Exactly same problem here. New machine, i9, when I go ctrl+I or double click in project panel to import or even when I export a movie. It happens in 40% cases when Premiere tries to access the computer files and folders. All I get is a white window and nothing happens. I haven't update to latest 13.1 vesrsion yet. Did that update solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain! This just happened to me after about 30 minutes of a creative burst in which I planned out the look and feel of my entire video intro. Gone. wiped away with a import LUT window crash. Creativeity is magical, and although I can repeat my steps to rebuild this, it screws up the flow and forces you to become mechanical and technical. It's a pain in the butt!

This also randomly happens when importing graphics or even video clips. I've been using Premiere since Premiere was first released on floppy disks! Ya, that makes me a dinosaur, but I've never seen Premiere as unstable as the last two releases! I'm hoping to find an answer as I read through this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Completely know your feeling!! The window for import freezes almost everytime you use it and same thing happens when you try to export! Fix this issues asap as its causing frustration to all of the users! Paying money tro spend half of the time troubleshooting the software you are meant to work with! Unbelievable! If a release is not stable just don't release it! Do your necessary testing and then launch PP20XX. But please get your stuff together and provide a working solution to us! And don't tell me that its the fault of my hardware configuration! a 3k workstation shouldn't behave like this with your software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines