Ever since I've upgraded to CC2018 I've experienced what I assume is a bug with closed captioning. This issue did not exist with CC2017. I submitted this bug to Adobe and was hoping for a fix with v12.1.12 however unfortunately I'm still experiencing the problem.
Rather than try to explain the bug in words, I've uploaded a short video detailing the problem. Please watch and let me know if I'm alone in the wilderness with this issue or if others are experiencing it.
I'm on my phone so can't see the example clip. But the open/closed captions are not always the best feature of PrPro. Being polite.
I'd suggest also filing this on the new UserVoice system they have, listed on the top of the Overview page of this forum.
Fill nr 2 with text first, leave it highlighted, add nr. 3.
Ann, I got Lee's results on first test, but on the fourth caption. I then tried to ensure that I added text each time, but it did not remain selected. I selected it. Got to caption 7, and tried an empty one and another. Got the problem on each. Added text and caption 8 could be changed, but never on caption 9. Once there was a problem, I did not find that adding text would avoid the no color/transparent outcome.
Whether there is a way to avoid this by some method of entry, there is a problem: there are two elements in the <CaptionList> in the project file that is missing information. Instead of a style tag with a url and anchorID code, there is just an empty <script/> tag. And instead of a style tag with backgroundcolor code, there is only fontsize. Once the code is in the project file (and perhaps before, in whatever temporary space holds it), there is no backgroundColor code, and it cannot be edited.
When I replace the correct information in the "bad" project file, all is as it should be. But this is not for the faint of heart.
Using regular code, the correct information should be:
<style xmlns:adobe="http://www.w3.org/ns/ttml#styling" adobe:anchorID="6"/>
<style tts:backgroundColor="#000000FF" tts:fontSize="18px"/>
I used notepad++ to search and replace, but the CaptionList is a single, dense paragraph, and rather mind-numbing, even with only 6 captions.
There are a lot of caption bug reports. This is the best one for this problem:
It has a link to another thread where someone points to the code issue I am addressing, but using an export, fix, reimport method to work around it.
This problem also involves the position of the offending caption jumping to the top left. That setting can be modified, however. And all captions can be fixed at once.
My max length that I need to caption is 30 seconds 95% of the time.
My workaround is to click on the first caption field and hit the + to create field two. I'll then manually drag that field near the end of the 30 seconds and then repeat with a click on the first field and hit the + to create another. Then wash and repeat until I have more than enough fields. Now when I paste text into any field, the background is correct.
My workflow is then to copy the text for the entire 30 sec. and then paste everything into the first field and then cut what I don't need, then go to field two and repeat til end. I'll then spot the times using the drag handles in the timeline.
I find I can caption a 30 second spot in 5 min. or less with this method.
Given Ann's suggestion, just try pasting the text as you create each caption. Then make all adjustments after. I got more good captions that way, and I did leave 2 empty to produce the problem.
Let us know how that goes.
I'm new to captioning, and tried making one today, and had the exact same thing happen that you showed in your video.
I fixed it deleting the first caption layer and starting over. My second CC track was OK, except...
... when I bring the sidecar export into Vimeo or YouTube my apostrophes are all missing. I'll start a separate thread for that.
BTW, I experienced some other odd behavior that was fixed by quitting and relaunching Pr.